Americans Protest on Wall Street

Sep 20, 2011

1. DJCriticalMass

DJCriticalMass
    3,728 posts
    Since Jul 16, 2002
    Most Americans will click, but not walk.
  2. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,229 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    hasn't this been going on for several days? heard about it on twitter on saturday (i think)

haven't seen any news coverage though!
  3. DJCriticalMass

DJCriticalMass
    3,728 posts
    Since Jul 16, 2002
    Seems like a lot of website aren't covering it. I could only find 2 so far.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/19/national/main20108397.shtml

(CBS News) NEW YORK - At least five people were arrested on the third day of protests in New York's Financial District, spearheaded by a coalition of groups rallying against the influence of corporate money in politics.
    Beginning on Saturday - on what was called a U.S. Day of Rage - several groups of activists vowed to occupy Wall Street, to express their anger over a financial system they say favors the rich and powerful, and about a democratic process they deem to be corrupt.

Organizers of the "Occupy Wall Street" demonstration have called for 20,000 people to "flood into lower Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peaceful barricades and occupy Wall Street for a few months."

Channeling the occupation of Cairo's Tahrir Square by Egyptians protesting the rule of Hosni Mubarak, protesters have camped out in lower Manhattan over the weekend, seeking to occupy the center of the financial world. They hope to attract many more.

Protest organizers seek to persuade President Barack Obama to establish a commission that would end "the influence money has over representatives in Washington." Their website is occupywallst.org.
  4. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,229 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    yeah impressive blackout eh? funny how any arab spring uprisings are in all the papers but this has been hushed up very effectively.
  5. grotbagz dilly dally lama

grotbagz
    367 posts
    Since Aug 28, 2011
    Exercise in futility, if you ask me.
  6. cap'n qrunch Banned by DOA

cap'n qrunch
    421 posts
    Since Mar 13, 2011
    i couldn't tell if that was a protest or if it was people playing dress-up on their way to work. :dylan:
  7. Konstant Old Member

Konstant
    6,736 posts
    Since Mar 4, 2002
    Information on this event is almost non-existent. The news organizations have all but ignored this stuff.
  8. Aroplane Flying Killer Robot

Aroplane
    1,130 posts
    Since Dec 5, 2009
    let the heads roll. :twothumbs:
  9. vdubjb

vdubjb
    15,509 posts
    Since Apr 28, 2004
    lol, if shitty banking regulations wont stop them, you know some smelly fauxtestors wont make a difference.
  10. Eric_Digital the balm

Eric_Digital
    10,989 posts
    Since Sep 13, 2002
    My friend posted this on his FacialSpace page:

"In addition to the lack of news coverage, Yahoo mail is blocking emails containing reference to the protest at wall street. Couldn't believe it, so I tested it myself. I put 'occupy wall street' in the subject and the web address in the body along with a couple normal sentences. Yahoo said 'your message was not sent- suspicious activity has been detected on your account'. Something could be amiss folks."
  11. ocelot

ocelot
    33,900 posts
    Since Dec 27, 2005
    They say 'cut backs'! We say 'we're not entirely sure what's going on'!
  12. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,229 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004

it's good america is helping the arabic countries out with democracy and free speech and that!
  13. Wu Lala

Wu Lala
    11,553 posts
    Since Feb 7, 2007
    :smashed:

plz tell me that isnt true
  14. amisane

amisane
    2,501 posts
    Since May 31, 2006
    It is true. Blame the spam filter.

(CBS News)

Yahoo apologized Monday after people using its e-mail service were prevented from sending messages about anti-Wall Street demonstrations over the weekend.

The company said that an external spam filter had blocked the messages but maintained that it was inadvertent. It said that the problem has since been resolved, though there may be some residual issues.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/20/scitech/main20109069.shtml
  15. amisane

amisane
    2,501 posts
    Since May 31, 2006
  16. Cure and Cause

Cure and Cause
    1,613 posts
    Since Sep 18, 2006
    wait what? i've heard nothing of this
  17. hektik  

hektik
    1,081 posts
    Since Sep 17, 2003
    surprised? you shouldn't be.

adding insult to injury
  18. Wu Lala

Wu Lala
    11,553 posts
    Since Feb 7, 2007
    I dont buy that it was inadvertent for one second. Surprised? Yeah a little tbh, not by the morality of it but by how blatant it is. The Uk, Us, Canadian governments etc infiltrate protests and encourage rioting, even start rioting when necessary, compared to that blocking some emails is pretty small fish, but the reason they get away with shit like that is that its hard to really pin it on them properly, if they start blocking internet activity around peaceful protests then theyre eventually going to lose this veil of democracy most people, including a lot here seem to believe exists.

Its one thing paying 20 young men to dress up in black, joint a march, throw some bricks through a window and encourage others to join in, then use police brutality, people at home see the edited version and think its just bboy and his mates out causing trouble again, when powers that be are preemptively sabotaging lawful protest how much longer can those cunts who present news on the tv kid themselves they live in a free society? Surely were pushing the level of denial the average human can bury in their brain already?
  19. MegaJon

MegaJon
    2,285 posts
    Since May 21, 2010
    There was like 150 people there yesterday with signs saying things like "smash capitalism", it's hardly Tahrir square
  20. thebeatbarbarian

thebeatbarbarian
    2,285 posts
    Since Dec 11, 2005
    Wasnt this all arranged by Annon ?
  21. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,229 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
  22. Bboy Corrosive

Bboy Corrosive
    14,487 posts
    Since Feb 7, 2007
  23. Saskias Cunt

Saskias Cunt
    20,454 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2005
    So a few hippies demonstrated. This happens twice a day in Berlin.
  24. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,229 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    yes it's practically not happening, not worth reporting about.
  25. Saskias Cunt

Saskias Cunt
    20,454 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2005
  26. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,229 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
  27. Saskias Cunt

Saskias Cunt
    20,454 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2005
  28. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,229 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
  29. hektik  

hektik
    1,081 posts
    Since Sep 17, 2003
    orwellian mindset of double-think:
    everybody knows that the rich almost literally eat the poor and that democracy is an idealistic word that has no meaning in reality. but we keep pretending everything is allright. every day we choose NOT to end our lifes as we know it by really getting into serious protest, sabotage and civil war.

even if 1984 is read as a dystopy (instead of a comment on reality back then in the 1940s), much of it has even been topped by what we have today in terms of control. in other words: we ARE the dead.
  30. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    yes it seems there are hundreds of hits on the google news aggregator as well. just more liberal hysteria set off by foreign propaganda I'm afraid!