Applying swing/groove to breaks?

Apr 29, 2012

1. Momentumdnb

Momentumdnb
    2,296 posts
    Since May 18, 2005
    Anyone here apply swing or a groove to their breaks? Think along the lines of a mpc-style swing, I know Ableton has a few presets that try and replicate it but they tend to add artifacts to the break.
  2. dag451 SEMAPHORE

dag451
    269 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2010
    Try slicing the break to midi, or manually dropping your clips into simpler/impulse/sampler and adding the groove to the midi clips instead. That way the the groove template won't be messing with the warping of the audio.
  3. godwin24 NixusUk

godwin24
    630 posts
    Since Oct 14, 2008
    I only use groove quantise on my more 125-140bpm sort of stuff (and of course any hiphop stuff but I dont make this very often at all), very important because the space between hits is a lot greater. At higher tempos I really dont think its very important at all especially at high swing values, unless you're swinging 1/8ths or 1/4s for that bodyrock feel. 1/16th triplet swing at 170+bpm tends to start blurring a bit IMO.

I tend to just let the natural dynamics of the breaks do the groove work at this sort of bpm, and I probably dont go in as accurately as I could when chopping the breaks up either so it retains a bit of the natural quantise anyway.

If you were programming a break from scratch using something like BFD/superior drummer etc then I still probably wouldnt use it and just play it in without quantising it 100%... The groove quantise options are all preset parameters so unless you plan on using a different one on every 1/4 of a bar its still not going to sound as realistic as if you just played it in
  4. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    Alot of DAWs have some relatively advanced featured for this. Cubase, for example, has a tiny little add-on that will give you hundreds of new quantize presets (including the much coveted MPC swing), it's free and easy to install. Now... if I can only figure out how to upload shit without resorting to mediafire....

Attached Files:

5. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    Also, FL has a nice feature where you can be working in 4/4, you can change the quantization to 3/4 or 6/8 and, using a slider from 0-100, adjust all the notes closedr to their triplet counterpart. Great if used judiciously, but anything more and we're brodering on Clownstep/Bodyock, so treat lightly.

IMO, it works best with slower music, by far. House, Dubstep, Hip Hop... all the music that has "room" for those little nuances.

I've personally never really been a believer in jacking MIDI files from old break. Sure, it has that nostalgic feel. but if I'm to be honest with myself, I'd much rather just do it myelf. I have my own way of doing things, with which I'm quite happy!

Edit: Here is is, no .exe installers, 4 MB of free add ons, very worth it!

[​IMG]

Download in my previous, but let me know if you need it. I think FL handles it better, as it's continuously variable (the piano roll make cubase look like toy. It' been 2 years, and STILL no smart too! I'm so sick of holding down alt for every like task... FL's smart tool makes everything sooo much quicker and easer.
  6. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    dont know if anyone suggested that but really cool thing is to actually extract a groove(say from your favourite drum loop or a track or your particular sequence) and apply it to another thing(another loop melody etc...)
  7. TheRoary

TheRoary
    115 posts
    Since Jan 4, 2012
    With 170bpm+, I don't intentionally go out to make it swing or use groove templates. It's all about being a little less rigid when it comes to quantising the bits in between kick and snare.. I prefer to do this by ear to get a little bit of human feeling.

With sub 170bpm tunes, especially in glitchy/housey downtempo bits, I like to get a mic set up and play a few loops of shaker, woodblock, clave etc. Then tighten them up accordingly in the sample editor.

If applying groove is your thing tho, I know you can get the MPC swing/groove templates in midi files for Logic. Never really delved tho...