ASIO + Axiom 25 problems :[

Feb 18, 2012

1. brokenfunk

brokenfunk
    202 posts
    Since Dec 17, 2010
    Hey dogs, I've been having this issue for a while now and it's really killing my motivation. The problem is that I can't get my keyboard to truly work when using the ASIO4all. I've managed to get sound once or twice in a project, but if I for instance decide to 'go out of Ableton' to turn my system volume up or down - the sound goes off. It smells like some kind of clash between the keyboard driver and some other driver. I've got the MS Wavetable synth off in ableton too. I read somewhere that windows supports only a certain amount of sound devices and every time you plug in a MIDI device in a new USB port - it creates a new 'slot', therefore limiting your support like that. Don't know how true that is, but I know I don't want any windows reinstallations again.:rolleyes2

Basically, after doing a clean win7 installation on my laptop, I can't really use ASIO drivers and Axiom 25 keyboard at the same time. I can get it to work with the standard windows driver, but that provides a great deal of latency and renders the keyboard pretty much useless. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, making sure absolutely nothing that could use ASIO is on but the DAW I'm working with, restarting the PC, trying different DAWs, changing the keyboard presets... Can't get it to properly work with any DAW. What makes it more frustrating, is that I never had the same problem on this system before, and it was exactly the same setup - Win7 x64 Ultimate with ASIO4all and Ableton/Reaper/Reason.
    The difference is that the last Windows I used was a little bit older. So I must be doing something wrong in terms of driver installation, right? Is there something I'm missing - like a certain chain of installation order? I'd appreciate any help, not being able to use my keyboard is a pain in the ass. :smashed:

Thanks for reading.
  2. feisar 2001 or STFU

feisar
    10,287 posts
    Since Jun 18, 2001
    Are you sure this is related to the USB keyboard? That doesn't make much sense imo.

What soundcard do you use?
  3. brokenfunk

brokenfunk
    202 posts
    Since Dec 17, 2010
    I use on-board Realtek HD audio, but I've had this notebook for more than an year, and did not have such problems in the past. I have considered buying a USB sound card but I don't want to have that necessity right now and I know I'm not supposed to have it either ._.
  4. buckaroobanzai

buckaroobanzai
    50 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2012
    I use/have used pretty much the exact same setup that you are having problems with. Ableton/Reason/Asio/Axiom 25/Windows 7. I have not had an issue with what you are describing. I am not an expert, but to me it doesn't sound like an installation error or keyboard driver error. I feel that it is an issue with your on-board soundcard. Are your sound cared drivers up to date on your laptop? There are a ton of technical things you can troubleshoot with to determine the culprit, however, I do think its a waste of time to troubleshoot by trying in different daws as well as adding new variables. I hope you get this fixed, but like feisar, I suspect its a soundcard issue.
  5. brokenfunk

brokenfunk
    202 posts
    Since Dec 17, 2010
    Well that's the thing - nothing has changed, the installation was done AFTER a full technical examination and cleaning of the laptop in the official ACER tech support. And I didn't have any problems before either.

I had one person with a similar setup tell me that he didn't use the Axiom driver at all in order to make it work, what about you? I'll do a full driver re-installation and see how it goes, again. There must be some little detail I'm missing because it doesn't make any sense so far.
  6. buckaroobanzai

buckaroobanzai
    50 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2012
    Im pretty sure I let the cpu recognize and install automatically. Hope you get it resolved.
  7. brokenfunk

brokenfunk
    202 posts
    Since Dec 17, 2010
    Alright, I got it to work perfectly! This is what I did:

*Removed M-Audio USB Axiom driver
    *Removed Realtek HD Audio driver - > Restarted PC
    *Removed ASIO driver, removed generic USB drivers, then searched for hardware changes and Windows installed them back automatically
    *Restarted and reinstalled Realtek HD driver, then the new version of ASIO:
    04 February 2012: Version 2.11 Beta 1
    *A final restart and then just plugged in my Axiom25, waited for Windows to install drivers automatically and started Ableton, and it was working fine! Going out of Ableton's environment did not seem to affect my keyboard input.
    And just a side note - I did NOT install the M-Audio Axiom drivers (found @ their website). It looks like they are creating problems when used with ASIO.

Thanks to everyone for the help! :slayer:
  8. buckaroobanzai

buckaroobanzai
    50 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2012
    Awesome. Glad to hear you got it all sorted out.