attn Dillusion..a few emu questions

Feb 7, 2012

1. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    was reading the fracture Q & A...what is this-filter split control?

Originally posted by Dillusion_Man
    the extra filter split control goes a long way i think!

also how do you set up multiple outs so i can have a sub bass rolling out one out put and then mids going from another, and wouldnt i need 2 seperate midi channels in logic to do this?

chur
  2. T_Jah Zound

T_Jah
    107 posts
    Since Sep 7, 2010
    to your second question, i would ask "out" of where, but maybe what you want is a multiband(-anything)
    i use a multiband compressor
    so i can control the outputs and compression of bass mid and highs seperately
  3. phono

phono
    6,178 posts
    Since Sep 23, 2002
    maybe he was talkign about the z-plane

as for setting up two sounds, from the main screen youll see what looks like a 16ch mixer, each one corresponds to a midi channel. To move to the next one press up cursor, then you can set the prog to play and which outputs etc etc
  4. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    thanks phono, will have a go tonite...bound to have some more questions later
  5. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    wanting some tips on the EQ morph and Zplanes filters...

ive been reading about these supposidly being able to morph between two or more filter types. On the zplane filter screen theres two shelves that the cords modulate between. But what other ways can you make use of these morphing functions to get more twisted teebee calyx:teef: type sounds?
  6. ransom x + x +

ransom
    777 posts
    Since May 7, 2001
    I think the Peak/Shelf Morph is the one people mainly use. Not sure if you saw the .pdf Dillusion did several years ago, but that sets the basics, and it's where I'm at pretty much right now.

I think my question right now is if there is a way to control a filter sweep just on one of the two frames, before morphing over to the other frame, or if you basically just have to set each frame, and the "ZOMG ZPLANE" is the sounds you get from working the morph and the resonance. Not sure if that makes any sense. It all might just boil down to picking certain Freq on each morph frame, then messing with the Shelf and Peak of each.

Also, I've been reading EmusOnAcid a lot this week, probably more than I have combined since that forum went up. Been copying & pasting info for myself from any posts that I find interesting, usually just opening threads based on the subject line, some of the specific users there, and/or the number of replies to the threads. Started working backwards from the very first posts. I'm surprised there are not more video demonstrations and tutorials, but then again I tried recording some of the screens and it's really washed out most of the time.

And I thought these threads might have some helpful info:

http://www.emusonacid.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25

http://www.emusonacid.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8

http://www.emusonacid.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=251
  7. satoribeats

satoribeats
    34 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
    I too have recently got a emu sampler...and wondering how to get such a great filter modulated sound... I know they use midi cc from there controller to modulate the filter...I am trying to figure how to do this as well... I assume its done on the cords screen but i cant seem to get it working... As you know i think the magic is also in the peak/shelf morph screen.. The only thing i can really get working is if you aqually give your low morph frame low settings and your high morph frame high settings.. they are both set low by default... So leave your low morph low like freq: 83hz , shelf i would raise a bit in the manual it says a low setting is a low filter and a high is a high filter... i would say -50 is good. and peak -24db..then high morph freq alot higher like - 4651hz , shelf were you see fit and turn the peak up to a positive value say +2db... Once you use low and high values like i am saying its easier to find a good spot... I also wonder how you would use say a lfo on the peak/shelf morph ....I feel like i know the emu well i just still cant figure those two things out....so help us two out! :p
  8. satoribeats

satoribeats
    34 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
    Thanks ransom i have read emu on acid but never came across those! So i did some reading... I guess with the upgrade 10.7 or later you can modulate more paramaters then on the older OS... Well good thing i just updated 2 days ago! No wonder it was not working!! So now after using these settings....
    On the cordes screen set - ModWl>FilFreq=100% If you want the modwheel to change the filter or something like LFO1+ If you want a Lfo then you have to put a setting in the lFO/aux page... Or for something random use white or pink noise... Either way these are the settings i just used and its giving the modulation movement we are both looking for!

On peak/shelf morph screen -
    morph to 0
    peak to -24db

lowmorph FREQ: 83Hz
    SHELF:-64
    PEAK: -24 dB

high morph FREQ:9824Hz
    SHELF:+25
    PEAK:-24dB
  9. satoribeats

satoribeats
    34 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
  10. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    jeez ransom, what a gent!! :tea:

will have a go at this with a fresh head through the weekend
  11. ransom x + x +

ransom
    777 posts
    Since May 7, 2001
    When I procrastinate, I get pretty intense with my diversions... been slacking on course work all week, but I now have about 30 posts from that site that I found good info on. Plus I've been creating banks of some sample packs, just need to start putting the sounds to use and maybe I'll have more information to share :smile:
  12. Cardiff Bonger Idiot.

Cardiff Bonger
    830 posts
    Since Jun 6, 2005
    The peak morph EQ filters are good for making huge basses. I find I need to resample the output. Its not morphing between filter types as far as I know (but im pretty sure the soft-sampler emux2 or w/e does that)...EQ morph is more like just sliding between 2 different EQ shelf values using a control like LFO/ENV or w/e you set up in the cords section.

I've made a big saw bass that demos it pretty well - it clearly makes the sample very phat compared to the other filters when you flick through them.
  13. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    hey satoribeats..got some decent results using similar settings you posted but upping the morph to around 140. Im on eos 4.61, are there more options using 4.7?

getting some nice results from the eq morph too :teef:
  14. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith
    322 posts
    Since Apr 21, 2010
    I thought the latest OS was 4.7? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think the best way to get the morphing sound without the resampling is to use a step sequencer which chucks out midi controls to the z-plane. I made this, pretty budget but a start in the right direction I reckon:

http://www.fileserve.com/file/8QX8MJF/1303-bounce - Copy.mp3

(if someone could host that little clip, i'd be greatful, senspaz is not working for me)

No resampling, just "stepping" between filter settings. I can't remember what one I used to make that clip, I am away from my studio for two weeks. When I get back, me and a mate are going to go through as many midi controllers as possible until we find something that gives the morph (with the control, not just random).

Experiment with step sequencers! Let me know if you find a good one to hook up with the EMU, the one I found was ok (which made the above) but I reckon there's better results to be had.
  15. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith
    322 posts
    Since Apr 21, 2010
  16. ransom x + x +

ransom
    777 posts
    Since May 7, 2001
    It's 4.7.
  17. satoribeats

satoribeats
    34 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
    Yea its 4.7 woops.. :p

Anyone have any luck modulating with midi cc?

If you want randomness like i said before you can use pink noise or white as the source..Seems to give me good random results!
  18. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    modulating with midi cc? as in mapping it to hardware knobs? dont you just pick the midi number and go?
  19. ransom x + x +

ransom
    777 posts
    Since May 7, 2001
    Satoribeats, could you explain what you mean exactly? I'm with felun, I just assigned MIDI A through H in the E-MU to correspond to specific MIDI CC#'s (in my case MIDI A - H correspond to cc21 through cc28, Mod Wheel is cc1, etc.), and the in my DAW (I use Logic), I record that MIDI data or even edit it from the automation window.
  20. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith
    322 posts
    Since Apr 21, 2010
    PHEW!

:]

Damn I wish I was near my EMU for this thread. Back in two weeks, don't let it die people! :fire:
  21. satoribeats

satoribeats
    34 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
    Maybe its just over my head :p In ableton i enable the envelopes section under a new midi channel. Have the output going into the emu the emu sees the incoming midi. Draw in a two bar midi note for my two bar drum loop. Now its playing perfect but i want to be abelt to draw a modulation line that will effect the filter in the emu.. If my source is midi A under cordes that seems all setup right for me.. but what i dont know is what envelope drop down i draw my modulation on... Hope that makes sense....
  22. ransom x + x +

ransom
    777 posts
    Since May 7, 2001
    I'm not familiar with Live at all, tried asking my co-worker and he just said on the MIDI channel you should be able to select what CC # you are automating. So it is possible, you just might need to scour the manual a bit to find the solution. But basically you need to select whichever CC # in Live corresponds to what you have assigned in the E-MU, ex. in my case, like I stated earlier, cc21 through cc28 are assigned in the E-MU to MIDI A through H.

In Logic, I do this in the piano roll screen, there is a little button in the bottom left corner that looks like three staggered dots & lines. That opens Automation HyperDraw options (I think that's right? IDK), and then I can pick from predefined parameters, or hit Other... to get a list of the CC #'s (that's what I end up doing).

[​IMG]

I think that when I have an external instrument row in the arrange page, I can access that automation data from the Arrange as well.
  23. Myra

Myra
    585 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2003
    Ransom is right. Anyway, does anyone know what happened to the Dillusion Man?
  24. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    heres a page with some more info and the eos 4.7 beta. http://emu4zone.basscadets.co.uk/

Seems this adds ability to change reso real time, which would be nice

im also going to have to get the emu icon in logic!
  25. satoribeats

satoribeats
    34 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
    Live looks similiar , were i got confused is it says cntrl and the number of cntrl but it does not say midi cc and the number. I am not sure what links to what.. Might be a real dumb question lol... Emu cordes set to midi A - which is ranges from - cc# 22? to something right? sorry not infront of the emu.... does cc# mean cntrl ? like is cc#22 the same as cntrl22?
  26. ransom x + x +

ransom
    777 posts
    Since May 7, 2001
    It might be the same, CC stands for control change (I think?). Best bet is to give it a go when you get back to your gear.

Also, my example of MIDI A = cc22 is just how I have it set up on my E-MU. It might be set to something different when you look at the MIDI info on yours. The big idea here is all this stuff is a tool set, and as you get more in to it all, you have to modify your tools to how you want to work.

That said, I still don't know much, I've been known to burn a whole evening of studio time trying to trouble shoot something that in the end was just two or three menus away, or a quick fix. Just have to work through that. I do try to keep some sort of log though, in case I hit a similar wall, or as the case was last summer, when I had to set up a new computer.
  27. satoribeats

satoribeats
    34 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
    So i figured it out! Envelope or Automation lines in ableton live's numbering system do directly relate to midi cc# as far as i can tell... One thing i still dont get though , if using a peak/shelf morph filter there is two freq settings one for each morph frame...If i set midi a > filfreq 100% what freq is being automated?

Once i figure this out i will post a tutorial i am almost there! :p
  28. ransom x + x +

ransom
    777 posts
    Since May 7, 2001
    I think (but not entirely sure, as I'm writing this at 8:27AM at work), that the freq itself is not being automated when the filter is set to Peak/Shelf, but automating FilterRes determines the Morph value, which determines the frame you are on. If morph is set to 0 on the Amp/Filter screen, then a closed filter will be 100% of the low frame, and then a totally opened filter will be 100% of the high frame. Also, you'll want to set MIDI B to control your FilRes', as that is what will tweak out things even more. Or it's still early for me and I am making no sense.

Tonight I am going to try out some patches that have two to four voices, and set it up so each voice is the same sample, each cover say a two octave key range (C0 to B2 / C3 to B4 / etc.), and then have the Peak/Shelf filter set so V1 will have a low frame and high frame, then V2 will have its low frame set to the same value as V1's high frame but then a new value for the high frame, then V3's low frame will be set to match V2's high frame value, etc. Might come out cool, might not.
  29. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith
    322 posts
    Since Apr 21, 2010
    Looking forward to hearing this :twothumbs:
  30. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith
    322 posts
    Since Apr 21, 2010
    Got the send$paz link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/plk4vf

That's using the Z-planes hooked up to a step sequencer. What do you think? I reckon there's got to be some mileage in this approach?