1. djsyntax

djsyntax
    859 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2009
  2. radjew

radjew
    8,096 posts
    Since Jul 7, 2001
    Nothing to do with lack of a father figure then?
  3. djsyntax

djsyntax
    859 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2009
    I grew up without a father and I seem to be ok!!!!
  4. ChavXL Drinking the banner ads

ChavXL
    30,576 posts
    Since Feb 6, 2005
    Good points in the articles tbh, a lot of middle class kids feel pretty entitled about everything and aint very grounded.

There were a hell of a lot of these kids taking advantage in the riots but all we hear about are bad working class parents or cliches about lack of father figures (cos all the rioters were black ya know, and black people dont have father figures).

for example that girl driving her mates about in the riots.
  5. Diseva

Diseva
    12,077 posts
    Since Apr 28, 2003
    Olden days? how far back are you talking?

It was like this at my school, and that was 10+ years ago.

The only solution that worked (for the school) was to just expel the trouble makers.

obv. not great for the guys who get expelled though
  6. MegaJon

MegaJon
    2,285 posts
    Since May 21, 2010
    is there any stats supporting this or is it just a stereotype?
  7. ChavXL Drinking the banner ads

ChavXL
    30,576 posts
    Since Feb 6, 2005
    exactly mate, it's just a generalisation
  8. djsyntax

djsyntax
    859 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2009
    tbh who needs stats when you just have to look at the cctv footage
  9. ocelot

ocelot
    33,897 posts
    Since Dec 27, 2005
    i caught the end of something on the bbc last night about young people and gangs, and one of the main points was that young black men don't have many aspirational figures. this kid was asked a question along the lines of "what successful professions can young black men aspire to by looking at what older black guys are doing" and the answer was basically "be a footballer", so i think it is true to an extent, for young black guys anyway. this can almost be highlighted by beckham being voted britain's greatest black man or whatever farcical shit it was that happened a few years ago.

but on topic, people don't have enough discipline these days, i agree. i think i said this another thread but parents expect schools to instil discipline in their kids where it should actually be the parents. it's not like kids should go to school and then that's the end of their learning for the day, it should continue at home. i know it's easy to say but i come from an extended family of teachers and they all complain about how much parents expect them to teach their kids, basically parents shirking responsibility and being the good cop while school is bad cop.
  10. fullenglishrecordings FILTHOID

fullenglishrecordings
    123 posts
    Since Dec 14, 2010
  11. MegaJon

MegaJon
    2,285 posts
    Since May 21, 2010
    I actually meant the bit about single parents, and having a quick look around there is actually some data there. In a perfect world I think this question doesn't need to be asked - it's like asking for the breakdown of single parents when it comes to blonde or brown haired children, but obviously in our community where people segregate themselves into communities and cultures based on skin colour and ethnic background then this is a legitimate question. And the results aren't encouraging.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/44768-race-divide-on-single-parents
  12. MegaJon

MegaJon
    2,285 posts
    Since May 21, 2010
    the culture around rap music certainly has a lot to answer for
  13. KG

KG
    32,107 posts
    Since Jul 24, 2002
    I agree with pretty much all that article says and it specifically mentions that middle class kids are just as bad as those from 'challenging backgrounds', and it also mentions lack of 'parental support', I'd say that covers off lack of father figures as well.

Basically kids discipline is pretty shit these days.
  14. ChavXL Drinking the banner ads

ChavXL
    30,576 posts
    Since Feb 6, 2005
    thing is, when they ask these questions they only ask some black kids from peckham or some other dump, as if they represent every black person in Britain, and also they fail to talk about white kids with no father figure. TBH I think a lack of father figure is a class/poverty thing not race thing
  15. BleakReference

BleakReference
    4,494 posts
    Since Feb 1, 2007
    The white working class aren't exactly awash in brilliant role models. Who do they have to look up to? Jamie fucking Oliver?
  16. ocelot

ocelot
    33,897 posts
    Since Dec 27, 2005
    yeah, it's the difference between father figures and aspirational figures i guess, although it would seem young black men don't have great figures in either sense.

Bleak - I think it's that black men in the public eye tend to be confined to certain industries, but with other colours/races there tends to be more of a spread. i don't mean people from the same social background who've 'made it big', simply people of the same colour. maybe i'm being thick and naive but i think that's right.
  17. radjew

radjew
    8,096 posts
    Since Jul 7, 2001
    Conclusive proof then lol. And you obviously provide an unbiased view point.

Ever talked to someone who actually works in an inner city school ?
  18. neepheid Space Pirate

neepheid
    5,250 posts
    Since Feb 28, 2012
    yeah it's pretty bad but I don't know if it's much worse than it was when i was at school. mobile phones are the obviously most irritating addition to classroom misbehaviour but then adults are complete fucking arsepieces when it comes to mobiles too.
  19. radjew

radjew
    8,096 posts
    Since Jul 7, 2001
    Many schools don't allow the use of mobiles on the premises though.
  20. neepheid Space Pirate

neepheid
    5,250 posts
    Since Feb 28, 2012
    Many schools don't allow pupils to punch teachers in the face also. it doesn't mean the students pay attention to it.
  21. radjew

radjew
    8,096 posts
    Since Jul 7, 2001
    Are you for real? Hundreds of teachers punched in the face on a weekly basis obviously :rolleyes2

I smell a single Scottish guy who hasn't spoken to a teenager in about 2 decades.
  22. neepheid Space Pirate

neepheid
    5,250 posts
    Since Feb 28, 2012
    I'm in class with them every over day you belm :laughing:
  23. radjew

radjew
    8,096 posts
    Since Jul 7, 2001
    posting from the classroom are you? Oh look return of the Serial bullshitter.
  24. neepheid Space Pirate

neepheid
    5,250 posts
    Since Feb 28, 2012
    no.
  25. Tits McGee

Tits McGee
    439 posts
    Since Jan 4, 2012
    I know the majority of the trouble kids in my sons school have parents that don't give a fuck. Nothing the school can do about it. they get called into school by the head master and just don't turn up. don't go to parents evenings either.

the parents of kids who were being affected by the bullying and disruption got so pissed off about it once they grouped together to confront a couple of the parents of the worst offenders in the playground. now they drop their kids off at the end of the street and don't go near the school.
  26. exp_cj

exp_cj
    4,313 posts
    Since May 13, 2003

Sounds about right, presumably their response was to curse you all for not minding your own business and complain that everyone's always picking on their kid and that there's nuffink wrong with their behaviour. Then they'll blame the school when their kids turn out to be retards with no jobs. They'll say "I don't know why we even pay our taxes" (which they probably don't pay).

27. neepheid Space Pirate

neepheid
    5,250 posts
    Since Feb 28, 2012
    It certainly seems like time for a renaissance of eugenics in this country!

humanely, of course, we'll just tie the chavette's tubes up until they get 3 or 4 GCSESs :tea:
  28. exp_cj

exp_cj
    4,313 posts
    Since May 13, 2003
    There's a parallel problem here of the increased need to accumulate and exercise power as a response to the marginalisation and impotence people feel these days. People feel a burning jealousy and desire for material wealth which is consuming and corrupting them to the core.

A lot of problems can be explained like that. The need to be the big man with the weapon who has the power in a fight, the need to be the rich man with the convertible Audi, to exercise the power of wealth over others. All as a response to the increasing powerlessness we feel to effect change in the system and get positive outcomes from any service we use. And the service culture has fed this to some extent as well. It's created an unrealistic expectation that as consumers we have power over shops trying to rip us off or mobile companies trying to bleed us dry, this hardly ever happens and people feel even more impotent when they get shafted every day.

I think we need a massive campaign to get people to reject materialism and repress the desire which is so effectively stirred up by the media. They've honed the science of making us want things so badly that people will rob, steal and kill to get those things and the rest of the time they believe they're "worth it" and that they are always right and can expect to be treated by others on their own selfish terms.
  29. neepheid Space Pirate

neepheid
    5,250 posts
    Since Feb 28, 2012
    nonsense, I love stuff but it's never caused me to misbehave. but then, my stuff is hella awesome, i don't have an obsession with shit underpowered miniature computers that allegedly take phone calls.
  30. monkey man

monkey man
    6,032 posts
    Since Jun 15, 2001
    Bingo