Best OS for an under powered laptop?

Apr 9, 2012

1. eeeyes

eeeyes
    4,274 posts
    Since Aug 8, 2006
    Seems like there is a gap in the market for a modern OS that's both user friendly and light weight. I'm tired of Win7 on my netbook, it's not really quick enough and I'd rather use something that is legally free.

I tried a few Linux distributions (Lubuntu, Ubuntu, Debian) and ran into similar problems with them all... they're not user friendly for people who don't want to be fucking around in the terminal all the time, and tons upon tons of things just don't work without endless research and command line fuckery.

I tried the Android x86 project and theoretically this would be perfect for my needs but it's buggy as hell.

Next I'll try Chromium OS, but I have a feeling it'll be too limited.

Is there anything else out there? :zzz:
  2. skribla Origin FM: now 95.1 FM

skribla
    18,535 posts
    Since May 23, 2005
    jolicloud
  3. freddykreuger999

freddykreuger999
    2,192 posts
    Since Apr 1, 2008
    Windows xp.....
  4. eeeyes

eeeyes
    4,274 posts
    Since Aug 8, 2006
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll try it right now in fact. :twothumbs:

Not a modern OS.
  5. freddykreuger999

freddykreuger999
    2,192 posts
    Since Apr 1, 2008
    Who cares if its modern. what do you need the OS to do?
  6. eeeyes

eeeyes
    4,274 posts
    Since Aug 8, 2006
    Work properly with all my hardware.

Plus, as I said above I'd prefer a legally free OS. I run pirated Windows on about 4 computers already and I'd really like to find a free, legal and user friendly way to move away from it without spending a year of my life learning terminal commands.
  7. sustenance

sustenance
    329 posts
    Since Mar 26, 2012
    linux mint or Ubuntu.
  8. Attreyu The Traffic Controller

Attreyu
    10,385 posts
    Since Mar 17, 2005
    Windows Thin PC.
    Or Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.

The first is based on Windows 7, the second on XP.

Both of them fly on older hardware, as you could imagine :twothumbs:

There is a third option: Windows Multipoint Server 2011, it lets you run concurrent sessions of RDP from thin/zero clients and take advantage of a single powerful computer. Internet sessions, movie watching, datasheets, even some gaming depending on the server's hardware. It's a bliss to setup and run too.
  9. eeeyes

eeeyes
    4,274 posts
    Since Aug 8, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions and I did try them both before. Ubuntu ran slower than Win7 on my netbook and nothing "just works" with either Ubuntu or Mint. Installing most the software I needed was a nightmare of errors, crashes, incompatibilities and terminal shenanigans. And jesus fucking christ with the constant requirement for password entries when you want to alter ANYTHING at all... I love the idea of Linux, but life's too short.

People slate Microsoft and Windows but at least you can do most stuff from a nicely polished UI instead of spending your life in the command prompt.
  10. eeeyes

eeeyes
    4,274 posts
    Since Aug 8, 2006
    Playing around with it now. Not enjoying the requirement for an account with Joli but the interface is fairly nice i guess. I wonder what hoops it's gona make me jump through to install XBMC... let's find out.

Thanks. Does Windows Thin PC require a connection to a server then? Or is it self contained on the computer?
  11. Attreyu The Traffic Controller

Attreyu
    10,385 posts
    Since Mar 17, 2005
    :twothumbs:
  12. eeeyes

eeeyes
    4,274 posts
    Since Aug 8, 2006
    Alright, downloading. I'll try it if I can't live with JoliCloud. Ta.
  13. Attreyu The Traffic Controller

Attreyu
    10,385 posts
    Since Mar 17, 2005
    Oh, I forgot: the above demand a computer made in the last 3 to 5 years. If you have some Pentium 3 from 2004 with 512 of RAM - Windows Embedded Standard 7 should be your pick. It's only the essentials, an extremely stripped down but fully functional Windows 7.
  14. weedsmoker53

weedsmoker53
    3,745 posts
    Since Aug 27, 2010
    Squeeze is fairly abstracted tbh. There is hardly anything you actually have to do from commabd line. They have really streamlined a lot of stuff. Its easy to get carried away with a debian os though so id recommend doing a compact, minimal install and then just adding what you want as you need it with a repository manager. You can make a portable bootable cdrom of ubuntu, which is nice, but they never even finished a 1.0 version, some shit isnt fully realized, and you can crash it. I dont think ubuntu is maintained anymore either. Fedora is decent but debian is a lot tidier. Dont know shit about gentoo or slackware. Would be fun to do a hobby box.
  15. Sable retired

Sable
    66,948 posts
    Since May 23, 2003
    MacOS surely? Or failing that, Windows 8 Consumer Preview. :burn:
  16. eeeyes

eeeyes
    4,274 posts
    Since Aug 8, 2006
    I have that running on another pc in the living room. I don't really get it tbh, better off with win7.