529 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2006
  2. speziale explorer

speziale
    313 posts
    Since Aug 12, 2003
    :lovetoss:

will be trying this when I get home

As a matter of interest, does anyone here run a solid spread of Bootsy plugins throughout their projects for a consistency of sound / colouration? And if so what sort of FX chain routing order do you run them in to get maximum results?

I have been meaning to try - as far as reasonable - a 'Bootsy only' project for a while to see what kind of results I would get but never seem to have the time..
  3. Transient Energy Replicant

Transient Energy
    4,453 posts
    Since May 8, 2004
    I use them a lot. Not exclusively but I generally have NastyVCS (channel strip) on every single channel DensityMK2 (compressor) on a lot and depending on what sound I use his EQ, delay, saturation and reverb quite a lot and any i've not mentioned here and there. Guy's a legend :tea:
  4. ErotiCore SteNch

ErotiCore SteNch
    169 posts
    Since Oct 3, 2010
    it would be awesome if there sometime in the future would be 64 bit versions of bootsys plug-ins
  5. Transient Energy Replicant

Transient Energy
    4,453 posts
    Since May 8, 2004
    They don't use much processing power so I'm not sure how much difference it would make.
  6. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,211 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    peng.

bootsy plugins are the tits.
  7. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    Awesome! LOVE Bootsy! Can't believe their stuff is free... it rivals pretty much everything else on the market. This seems like a solid compressor. Perhaps inspired by the LA-2A (it says in the manual it uses "opto-electrical" compression) but with far more control.

After a quick listen, it seems capable of far more aggressive compression than the Nasty VCS (on which I've never been a huge fan of the compression section) and Density... You can really smash stuff with this LA. Can't wait to get some more mileage out of this!

:slayer:
  8. Pyro

Pyro
    8,975 posts
    Since Feb 25, 2001
    not even that. they dont use any ram to speak, so it'd probably make no difference whatsoever, except introduce bugs.

oh and

on da muddafakin dl :slayer:
  9. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    what a beautiful design once again...i love working with nice looking plugins
  10. Rogue Trooper Giant Smurf

Rogue Trooper
    1,504 posts
    Since Jan 22, 2004
    I've just stuck it on every track in my latest tune, and it makes everything sound really nice and creamy, and brings out a lot of clarity and warmth. It doesn't destroy hats like a lot of other compressors do. Awesome plug:love::slayer:
  11. Pyro

Pyro
    8,975 posts
    Since Feb 25, 2001
    quick first impression: really soft and smooth! its funny his stuff has a sound that keeps getting more sophisticated with almost every release but i feel like i can still hear his character in there. this does really cool things on the master, straight and in parallel :twothumbs: sounds like he paid a lot of attention to how it sounds when abused but also very usuable with subtle use, impressive :slayer:
  12. thesamuel

thesamuel
    250 posts
    Since May 11, 2011
    Its quite a subtle plug in isnt it. Can anybody recommend any setting for the kick and snare?
  13. qwert678!!!! Helios Primus

qwert678!!!!
    733 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010
    With some of his plugins, I swear I can't hear anything lol.

Maybe I'm not freaking them how they should be freaked.
  14. kill-9

kill-9
    1,531 posts
    Since Aug 28, 2003
    heh, yeah with that one of his that won the KVR challenge I couldn't really hear it doing anything.... there's an amusing thread I found once where some other guy had the same experience (not on DOA)
  15. speziale explorer

speziale
    313 posts
    Since Aug 12, 2003
    :twothumbs:
  16. Pyro

Pyro
    8,975 posts
    Since Feb 25, 2001
    @qwert and kill9

read the manual and get your levels right :twothumbs:
  17. Rogue Trooper Giant Smurf

Rogue Trooper
    1,504 posts
    Since Jan 22, 2004
    Make sure you drive the compressor with the input gain, then adjust the attack until the transient comes through, then fiddle with the release- try a short one at first and work your way up. After that, use the range to tweak the desired amount of compression you want. After that, switch the interstage to in, set the spectrum to LF for the kick and whatever works for the snare. Then adjust the THD control until you have the right amount of saturation. Finally, you'll probably need to drop the output gain a few dBs to compensate for the gain at the input stage and the added harmonics.
  18. parsley

parsley
    6,586 posts
    Since Apr 25, 2004
    started using this yesterday and even my cloth ears can hear the smooth in this
  19. Pyro

Pyro
    8,975 posts
    Since Feb 25, 2001
    gotta say i'm not quite sure about his stateful saturation stuff as time goes on. ferric is cool but there are definitely better saturation models out there and he seems to model everything off what he did on that. there's a haze to his crunch that's a bit tricky to use unless its totally over the top and in parallel or something. just me?
  20. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    The saturation on the Nasty VCS is solid... I use that one a lot for saturation and EQ, though I don't care for its compressor. Tesla SE has useful saturation, and the old Nasty CS can do some wonderful things to bass and kicks, though it crashes my shit quite often. But yeah, totally agree... not sure where I stand on the saturation in this new comp, but it rocks nonetheless.
  21. SourBattery

SourBattery
    495 posts
    Since Aug 15, 2009
    IMO the saturation on thrillseeker aint nothing like Ferric. I would not say that thrillseekers saturation is less good then anything else, but it does not do what im used to in a saturation plugin. It seems like its smoothing out all transients but it does not bring much crunch. So I would not use the interstage in thrillseeker and other saturation plugins for the same purpose. IMO
  22. Rogue Trooper Giant Smurf

Rogue Trooper
    1,504 posts
    Since Jan 22, 2004
    I find the saturation on Ferric to be too subtle for me to notice a lot of difference, but I really like the saturation on Thrillseeker. I find it sweetens pretty much everything I put into it and brings out quite a bit of clarity without adding too much harshness unless I'm using the higher spectrum settings, but I'd probably only use those on hats and other cymbals. I don't really have a lot of saturation plugs to compare it with really. Any suggestions?

[edit] Has anyone got any decent results with the sidechain yet?