Emu Hardware Sampler Q&A

Feb 1, 2006

1. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Lots of the same questions...

Put them in here and if i cant answer, i know a man who can!

Emusonacid is good, but maybe doa needs its lil rep....

so erm.....

Whenever.

:biggrin:
  2. declassified

declassified
    1,755 posts
    Since Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks for making this!

Might be a stupid question, but anyway....

You say that you often resample to add character. Do the A/D converters of the sampler already add "that emu sound" or is it more the filters?
  3. decoherance

decoherance
    5,102 posts
    Since Oct 25, 2004
    I finish paying my loan off in 3 weeks, guess what im going to buy?
    i will have lots of questions, will dig this thread up when the time comes.
    :dstar:
  4. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Szonick from freestyle did some tests, the colouring was proven to come from the Emu AD. :wink:

Filters add the saturation and affect the tone yes, which make the sound, but the outs are what makes the Emu-X something that will never quite match up to its hardware equivalent!

:thumbup:
  5. cyanide man dem

cyanide man dem
    333 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    Great thread!!

I'm having problems with setting up my soundcard with the emu,
    I have a delta 1010LT and currently no mixer :cry:

I am getting midi to the bird no probs and I can get sound back to the card because it shows on the level meter. However, to hear the sampler I have to swich my main soundcard output (H/W Out 1/2) to the channel I have the sampler connected to in order to hear it (sampler is connected to soundcard inputs 3+4 from main sampler output). So I select hardware in 3+4 and can hear the bird... BUT! this means that i cant hear sound generated from the computer unless i switch it back to WavOut1+2 (main outs from cubase).

does that make any sense at all? its difficult to explain!
  6. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Yeah i got round this by outputing the PC onto the erm.... haha mixer, then recording back in via spdif.

Have you tried monitor mixer on the output you listen to the PC from? It must be a soundcard thing.
  7. cyanide man dem

cyanide man dem
    333 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005

Dude! Ur da man! cheers mate u have made my day

it was staring me in the face but i have been up since 4am and my patience was wearing thin.... i guess i'll be up until 4am tomorrow playing with this now... thanks again!

:slayer:
  8. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Excellent! :bgrin:
  9. dj_krypt

dj_krypt
    1,480 posts
    Since Jun 13, 2004
    can u please give some examples of the emu colouring.. like a b4 and after...

also cud u give us some examples of these amazing filters!

thankyou

what is the colouring? purely just runnin thru the emu or do u push the gain?
  10. ShadowCast

ShadowCast
    105 posts
    Since Sep 17, 2005
    what type fo EMU stuff do you use mate... cause i was lookin at the proteus stuff... looks interesting enough... could you point me in the right direction...
  11. AudibleFreak

AudibleFreak
    39 posts
    Since Feb 2, 2006
    Here's one thats been pissing me off, probably an OSX thing but anyway....For some reason i can't transmit samples via scsi in peak. My scsi card is an adaptec 29160 which i'm using in a dual 1.8 G5, with a 100Mb zip drive in the chain. I think it's a tiger issue but if you have any thoughts let me know man.:blaze:
  12. KRS-2

KRS-2
    2,905 posts
    Since Dec 26, 2001
    ive got 2 emu's, know anyone that wants to buy one?

actually do have a emu e-synth rack for sale in michigan. anyone interested?
  13. phpSelectah

phpSelectah
    11,686 posts
    Since Jul 30, 2002
    :script:
  14. ryzatone realist...

ryzatone
    142 posts
    Since Sep 12, 2005
    i've had my emu for a little while now, but am just now really starting to get into it... what sort of things do you do to "mangle" sounds?? and, got any cords tips (besides the obvious ones - filter, resonance)??
  15. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    sure at some point.... although i am sure its been done before many times, i recall the thread with alot of you eating your words, search it out.

filters, erm, sorry but you have to have listened to very little DnB if you want examples of those. :laughing:

Colouring as said above is a result of the input/outputs of the unit, NOTHING to do with the way it works or otherwise.....

The Emu gain does make those Dillinja subs/808s, adding +40-50 or whatever, but i prefer desk clipping to internal gaining usually.
  16. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005

Dont have a Mac sorry. :smil:

But i do know you have to set the SCSI termination point in your Emu master menu, make sure they correlate and try again.
  17. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    I love the proteus and i have the Audity, but in all honestly the filters are pretty shit and it sounds nothing like the sampler in any way..... but i like its waveforms and its a useful h/w rompler!.... i'm also after virtuoso 2000 for those classic emsembles.

:twothumbs:
  18. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Very much maybe., i'll ask about! :wink:
  19. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Some people on here and especially some on AIM have mad mad cord settings, affect Midi A with para A which controls para B, but in reality you only need to use a cord when you cant get the sound how oyou want.

I rarely go beyond cutoff, res, pitch, amp attack - decay, sample start, the odd lfo and velocity.

Being honest its all i need as i prefer to modulate live with nobs, not have something play a 4 octave neuro lead wityh one press of a key! :laughing:
  20. hurge

hurge
    3,188 posts
    Since Aug 23, 2004
    i wanted to know with ur tracks, do u run basically every element - drums - synths - lead - mid bass - subs

all through ur emu at one point or another?

and i was interested to know whether or not have you experimented runnin your master channel through your emu when your track is finished?

thx for doing this.
  21. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005

Yeah, its all 100% Emu midi even down to final mixdown, then its recorded loud and quiet, then the desk is reset!

Cut throat, but it suites me. No mastering really, like it to sound as it should when its on loop!

:thumbup:
  22. noisewreck Sound Destroyer

noisewreck
    1,223 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2003
    1. Are there any other sound-shaping tools other than the filters?

2. Can you chain say 2 filters in parallel or series?

3. What kind of FX are available? When you resample, do you have the option of resampling with or without FX? What kind of configurations are possible with FX?
  23. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    1/ Amp/filter envelopes, LFO, built in sequencable arp, other than that, tbh, its all about the filters with cord (modulation) control!

2/ No, one filter per group. A preset can be up to 8 groups, but you assign hits/wavs to each group setting, so they can be different, but they cant chain to my awareness!

3/ Emu has two independant FX processors,which control fx such as flanger/chorus/delay/distortion/reverb.

In omni mode, which is a channel per output, you can set fx to each output, but in multimode (preferable as it allows midi to be sentr to any output....) they operate as master fx on the outs.

I tend to have caverb reverb on mains for washing out percussion and adding tail to pads, and a panning delay on sub1 out, for fx etc. I basically use half the emu outs to send l;ots of sound too for like processing, then the main track elements such as drums n sub have their own panned output, with desk fx.

Emu fx cant run past 1st 8 outs, so i cant apply them to the output option upgrade!

:twothumbs:

FX can be chained, so the processor A with reverb can be merged with processor B with delay, creating a delayed reverb for example!

:upsidedow
  24. J Swift Guest

J Swift
    4,760 posts
    Since May 21, 2003
    This is a long shot - not sure anyone'll be able to answer it - But does anyone know, first-hand, whether the e64 (classic) sounds any different to the e6400 (also classic)?

and anyone know of an e64 classic for sale anywhere?
  25. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Its been said the classic is different to the ultra due to different sourced components, but that is not something i am aware of, someone must know.

:upsidedow
  26. noisewreck Sound Destroyer

noisewreck
    1,223 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2003
  27. Myra

Myra
    585 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2003
    Yeah, non Ultras DAs are said to sound even darker/fuzzier/warmer than the Ultras.
  28. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005
    Yeah i've always been unsure if thats the ultra adding high, or the classic cutting freqs.

:confused:
  29. J Swift Guest

J Swift
    4,760 posts
    Since May 21, 2003
    Oh yeah, Ultras sound closer to recent Akai's than Classics...

I was on the look-out for a Classic, as I've already got an S5000 - But now I'm in a state because some ppl suggest the e64's sound better for beats than the e6400's... (both classic-era)

But I've not had this on much authority... Only vague speculation...
  30. Dillusion <UNTITLED>

Dillusion
    5,853 posts
    Since Nov 23, 2005

You now have a mission then!

If i thought Classic was worth it for a lofi crunch, i'd ponder getting one just to sample in and out of it as an effect! :pimp: