guitar pedals for distortion-any recomendations?

Apr 12, 2012

1. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    would mind trying some out..whats worthwhile
  2. sustenance

sustenance
    329 posts
    Since Mar 26, 2012
  3. sustenance

sustenance
    329 posts
    Since Mar 26, 2012
    stay away from anything digital also, esp those cheap boss pedals that are yellow and say distortion.

Anything tube related is great. If you do this make sure you have a console though or some sort of mixer with a send channel. Provides best resides and you will find that an over driven console provides amazing results also
  4. el-duderino

el-duderino
    375 posts
    Since Jun 21, 2010
    don't know about distortion, but t-rex are the best basic pedals i've ever heard (dat comp:love:)
  5. cohort

cohort
    7 posts
    Since Feb 20, 2012
    I like the Russian Big Muff personally. Really thick and fuzzy.
  6. The Grinder

The Grinder
    414 posts
    Since Jun 30, 2011
    Prefer the 'Metal Muff' as you can up the gain if ya' need to.

Any of the boss metal/overdrive pedals would be good too. Pick 'em up for peanuts on ebay.

Also, depends on how much you want to spend. If you want tube warmth, but a heavy distortion - have a look at the Blackstar range. HT-DISTX I used that on my guitar quite a bit has an actual tube inside it.

I still prefer my Metal Muff tho', and it's a lot cheaper.:teef:

PS - I wouldn't ever use a 'cab emulation' feature if it's on any of the pedals (like the blackstar or digitech stuff). That real 'oomph' will come form MICing the Amp after the pedal.
  7. Doctor Bob

Doctor Bob
    1,337 posts
    Since Oct 1, 2003
    I've got some standard Russian Big Muff variant, which does indeed sound big and metallic and angry. I love running the entire bass buss through it, recording that back into Logic, and mixing a bit of the distorted signal under the dry. Effortlessly pisses all over Guitar Rig.
  8. The Grinder

The Grinder
    414 posts
    Since Jun 30, 2011
    Damn straight man... Emulations are okay, but you can't beat the real thing!

There's a reason that nearly all guitarists, who want proper distortion don't use emulations.
  9. Tube Jerk

Tube Jerk
    2,376 posts
    Since Dec 17, 2003
    two RAT's l/r.
  10. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    looking for pedals to go between the emu and the mixer ..will search for some of those recommended thanks!
  11. The Grinder

The Grinder
    414 posts
    Since Jun 30, 2011
    Any distortion pedals by AMT are well worth checking out too.
  12. EduardoSanchez

EduardoSanchez
    23 posts
    Since May 10, 2011
    to whoever said no to boss/yellow pedals , i seen a picture of one of those in an image for an Autonomic Podcast . so........ but one thing to mention about these guitar distortion/overdrive pedals is "transparency" , each one has a certain eq/sound shaping circuit that is mostly meant for guitars, so if you are using it for drums or bass, it will add a certain eq/ freq boost/cut . i think most transparent pedals are modded ones for example Keeley's Ibanez Tube screamer mod and boss blues driver mod.
  13. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    "ehx bass big muff" looks common,any one tried that ?

im guessing i dont want guitar pedals as someone mention it would distort the higher freqs more? not sure if im wanting "screeching" distortion?
  14. felun serial procrastinator

felun
    429 posts
    Since Jan 20, 2004
    im sure ive seen a caylx teebee interview with a yellow and a red boss? or gridlok? can i have what gridlok has :teeth:
  15. EduardoSanchez

EduardoSanchez
    23 posts
    Since May 10, 2011
  16. godwin24 NixusUk

godwin24
    630 posts
    Since Oct 14, 2008
    if you can find one the old tubescreamers are absolutely fantastic :twothumbs: also I cant remember the names but the orange and yellow boss pedals are good also, try and get older models if you can!
  17. ill mindset Registered Bass Abuser

ill mindset
    42 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2012
    Boss Metal Zone was my favorite pedal in my grind core band. I then switched to a much harder to find Boss GL-100 rackmount before we recorded. Fucking brutal sound and its analog!
  18. Deadstareforlife

Deadstareforlife
    3,776 posts
    Since May 28, 2008
    what was your band + any links to sounds?
  19. gridlok

gridlok
    668 posts
    Since Feb 22, 2001
    don't even bother using pedals in a studio environment without one of these: PIGTRONIX KEYMASTER. The difference in warmth is night and day. learn about impedance!
  20. ill mindset Registered Bass Abuser

ill mindset
    42 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2012
  21. furian /_\

furian
    3,845 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2006
    Looks like a nice piece of kit, if a little expensive... I'm thinking there must be a cheaper way of turning a line level signal into a instrument level one... any electronics heads on here ever have a go at building a re-amping box? I'm thinking the circuit could be simple enough, though it would have to be built in such a way that it didn't suck all the tone out of the sound.

edit:

found some stuff... might have a go at building it someday, though there's more to it than i thought

http://www.muzique.com/lab/patent1.htm
  22. EduardoSanchez

EduardoSanchez
    23 posts
    Since May 10, 2011
    sometimes diy stuff winds up costing almost as much as something like this pigtronix box, and isnt nearly as good, so you might be better off just buying it. pigtronix makes quality stuff.
  23. CunningLinguist Unimatrix Zero

CunningLinguist
    28,889 posts
    Since Apr 20, 2001
    My #1 fav pedal is the DigiTech Grunge. It can produce some real grime with a rich, full sound. [​IMG]

It's cheap and dirty.