Has Instagram made everyone's photos look the same?

Apr 11, 2012

1. illatron

illatron
    2,697 posts
    Since Nov 27, 2004
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17667891

- lol

Discuss.
  2. pijin :teeth: alwayse

pijin
    6,080 posts
    Since Nov 14, 2007
    noticed this recently as i had no fucking clue what it was a few months ago tbh, i just thought people were posting pics from the same hipster magazine/site until i saw people i know in them....they do all look ridiculously similar...make it purpley blue and blur the edges a bit woooooooooow orsum
  3. rikardob Halcón.

rikardob
    17,297 posts
    Since Feb 28, 2005
  4. ocelot

ocelot
    33,900 posts
    Since Dec 27, 2005
    made a load of people with zero photographic/artistic expression's photos look the same, yes.

[​IMG]

not really sure why i'm posting that but it's one of mine taken with a regular camera and no fancy instagram effects thankyouverymuch. and it's sick imo :teeth:
  5. -BassCunter- some words and stuff

-BassCunter-
    848 posts
    Since Jan 23, 2010
    I suppose its similar to how people buy an incredibly expensive dslr and lens kit and take pictures which aren't really that great or interesting just the same old picture of some stuff which wouldn't make a good image with or without processing. its mainly snapping in the hopes that the processing does all the work in making a good picture. quite a lot of the time the pictures are terrible but with the filters people suddenly think its actually a lot better.

anyway its all about going old skool and buying a lomo :teeth:
  6. paigalushus thought criminal

paigalushus
    6,452 posts
    Since Jul 28, 2005
    I feel about them the same as I do about magnetic poetry. The democratic side of me thinks it awesome that people can tap into the creative aspect but the artist in me is a bit grumpy.
  7. bennytwohats

bennytwohats
    3,001 posts
    Since Jul 15, 2008
    Has anyone been playing with cinemagram yet? Best app I have on my iphone, so much fun.
  8. -BassCunter- some words and stuff

-BassCunter-
    848 posts
    Since Jan 23, 2010
    its quite clever.I prefer the idea of gif creation with your phone rather than photography,seems to encourage a bit more creative and inventive effort.
  9. Deadstareforlife

Deadstareforlife
    3,776 posts
    Since May 28, 2008
  10. RomperStomper Old Member

RomperStomper
    8,730 posts
    Since Apr 3, 2002
    Everything's yellow.
  11. BleakReference

BleakReference
    4,494 posts
    Since Feb 1, 2007
    Sheesh.
  12. BleakReference

BleakReference
    4,494 posts
    Since Feb 1, 2007
    Also lol at this quote from Kate Bevan:

I hope no-one informs young Kate about the existence of physical film, manual processing, or darkrooms, otherwise this chick is in for a rude awakening.
  13. Absolutely SUPER Banned by DOA

Absolutely SUPER
    600 posts
    Since Jan 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• -1.jpg
      -1.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
  14. ChavXL Drinking the banner ads

ChavXL
    30,586 posts
    Since Feb 6, 2005
    kids these days dont appreciate the subtle nuances of GIMP and light sliders
  15. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    it's pretty impressive to pretend to yourself this is a replacement for proper photography and not a modern replacement for polaroids and disposable cameras.
  16. to-sha

to-sha
    1,510 posts
    Since Feb 17, 2001
    :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
  17. Eli Rorschach

Eli Rorschach
    451 posts
    Since Jun 18, 2011
    Been saying for ages it's the best thing that's happened to photography since Polaroid

Flickr got so boring - modern photography got so boring - because all you had were straight-laced DSLR owners taking the same long exposure shots of beaches

Flickr was getting something like 5,000 uploads a minute, and you felt like you'd seen EVERY one a million times before - a lot of really uninspired street photography, the same shot of a tree, just downright awful studio portraits

No shortage of technically competent work, but complete void of anything interesting or expressive

Now with Instagram, you've got photography getting back to what it always was: capturing life... So much less scope to manufacture an image through contrived composition and processing... It would be the equivalent of everyone on The Grid having their DAWs replaced with 8-track tape recorders, and actually having to learn an instrument (for most, it would be the first time they'd even TRIED to think musically... and something decent would eventually come out of that)
  18. ChavXL Drinking the banner ads

ChavXL
    30,586 posts
    Since Feb 6, 2005
    Eli - just getting into photography so trying to understand this all; how would you define the difference between instagram photos and yer typical DSLR flickr photos

To me, the instagram photos look more warm.
  19. falsename

falsename
    5,148 posts
    Since Oct 16, 2010
  20. -BassCunter- some words and stuff

-BassCunter-
    848 posts
    Since Jan 23, 2010
    thats because they are all taking pics of sunny beaches :teeth:
  21. Eli Rorschach

Eli Rorschach
    451 posts
    Since Jun 18, 2011
    Truth is, the more control you give people (Photoshop, lenses, settings, etc.) the more opportunities they have to fuck things up, make a mess and avoid having to question their own present lack of ability.

Same with music: much higher hit-rate when people only had 16-steps to fill on a 303 and 8 drum sounds. (How far wrong can you go? How are you going to disguise the absence of a hook or a drum pattern?) "Out of limitations comes creativity."

Flickr's just people wanting to look like photographers; Instagram's bullshit, cupcakes, girls getting undressed, chain letters, random shots on beaches... it's life from 60 million different perspectives
  22. Ike Karton

Ike Karton
    387 posts
    Since Apr 4, 2012
    yea, i think it's total crap. Just another piece of technology to speed up the life cycle of trends and get us all burnt out. I strongly believe that before the internet phenomenon there was a natural buffer between pseudo artists and the truly creative. You couldnt go to a party with the intention of taking pictures of yourself, posting them to your friends before you even get home, and slapping on "cool" filters. You went to a party, maybe someone had a camera, maybe they took a pic of you, maybe they got them developed, maybe the adjusted them in the darkroom, maybe they got your landline telephone number to let you know they have a pic of you, maybe you were home to answer that phone, maybe someone made a fanzine, maybe someone worked at a copy shop and could hook you up etc etc.

I think that time that existed between all of those actions are what kept people interested in something for more than 20 minutes. its the thing that got you excited to buy an album that you knew was coming out and you couldnt stop counting the days.

Now were just gonna have billions of horrible photos of cute or hip things with "vintage" filters. Its as if the world didnt have enough females wasting their time taking self portraits. We totally need more of that :zzz:
  23. Ike Karton

Ike Karton
    387 posts
    Since Apr 4, 2012
    good app tho:teeth:
  24. -BassCunter- some words and stuff

-BassCunter-
    848 posts
    Since Jan 23, 2010
    although I see eli's point, I think this is probably going to be one of most likely in a number of eventual outcomes, and its probably going to get old fast. I'd like to be proved wrong in the long run though.
  25. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    i don't know if you are aware of these things but before instagram i had a digital camera. before i had that i had a disposable camera.
  26. ChavXL Drinking the banner ads

ChavXL
    30,586 posts
    Since Feb 6, 2005
    that makes sense. The only photos I have ever taken that have been any good were complete instinctual/accidental on a disposable camera. Maybe all those options take away from what makes photography great; capturing a moment in time or a scene, rather than editing that scene to make it reflect how you feel.
  27. falsename

falsename
    5,148 posts
    Since Oct 16, 2010
    As much as i agree, why the fuck aren't we doing this ourselves, think of the money this app has generated - all from one setting , preference.

If we could somehow think of a way to do this ourselves, just like the lolcam on facebook we could be loaded.

lolcam is simple, set a few settings, get the kids into it, and wam bam you have a business I almost feel sick, it's so simple but yet so creative.
  28. Ike Karton

Ike Karton
    387 posts
    Since Apr 4, 2012
    no fucking way get outta here, youre blowing my mind!

of course man.. They were all steps toward this inevitable point. The same can be said for digital cameras. One doesnt think nearly enough before hitting the button. You can take 1000 pics for free (or however much a memory card costs) and cut them up/ examine them later. I only speak from first hand experience. When your looking your camera and see you have 12 shots left on your roll of 24 you end up thinking about the next shot a little more. Instant is boring imo. It's also not a matter of elitism or anything. I think it's good to challenge the notions of creativity and the tradition. I just honestly feel this stuff has all contributed to the arts being saturated by mediocre things, especially photography. How many more pictures of the down and out local alcoholic with missing teeth and a weathered face do we need? Oh but wait , how about I make it look like old film? you know with the little numbers on top? Yea, i guess we can squeeze in one more picture of the local alcoholic with missing teeth and a weathered face. just one more though
  29. RomperStomper Old Member

RomperStomper
    8,730 posts
    Since Apr 3, 2002

It does the opposite. It provides the contrived composition and processing that people think automatically make an otherwise unremarkable photo interesting, 'professional', 'classic' or 'retro'.

People are now putting in even less effort to take naturally visually interesting photos (framing, lighting, composition etc). They are snapping away at everything and anything, applying a 1-click filter and then proudly uploading it, thinking they're the next Neil Krug or Joni Harbeck.

Instagram takes away the individual artistry associated with photography. Users think they are being artistic but in reality, they are giving up their artistic uniqueness by picking one of the 20 or so presets in the app.

There are some great photos on Instagram, but the great photos were great before they were 'Instagramified'.

Most photos however, are banal, yellowing and boring.

I don't hate Instagram, but I don't think it's going to help photography going forward.

Whether that's a bad thing or not will depend on your view of photography as a medium and art-form.
  30. Ike Karton

Ike Karton
    387 posts
    Since Apr 4, 2012
    well put