Help a student journalist - the importance of EQing

Feb 27, 2012

1. AwesomeQ

AwesomeQ
    1,492 posts
    Since Jun 24, 2008
    hello chaps, as the title states I am a student journalist and at current I am attempting to write a feature about the importance of EQing in electronic music. I need some primary source quotes and I couldn't think of somewhere I would rather ask than here.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated, and those suitable will be used within my article. Of course a link can be provided to it when it is finished.

So here are the questions:-

1 - How important is equalising to you, when you create music digitally?
    2- Do you have any handy tips when EQing certain elements in your productions, e.g. drums, bass, midrange synths etc?

Thanks in advance.
  2. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    It's the most important effect there is imo.
  3. ossuss

ossuss
    4,445 posts
    Since Aug 23, 2002
    it's on every channel on a mixer for a reason,

you doing a minor in philoshophy??
  4. AwesomeQ

AwesomeQ
    1,492 posts
    Since Jun 24, 2008

nope journalism, broad subject which makes it more difficult imo. usually i would fake the primary quotes but i felt like doing it by the book this time.
  5. majin Psyker

majin
    111 posts
    Since Sep 19, 2011
    I'll give it a shot

1- It's almost necessary when trying to achieve a clear mix, but if that's not your goal, you can live without it by using sounds that don't overlap much in the frequency spectrum.

2- Do narrow cuts, where your kicks and snares hit hardest, in your basses and leads (Usually between 80 and 200Hz).
  6. Cybernetika

Cybernetika
    497 posts
    Since Feb 14, 2008
    I think at some point I am using equalization on all of the sounds I put in my tracks. I believe the best sounds to use are the ones that require the least EQ, but in reality I always find reasons to boost or cut some frequencies to make the sound fit better into the mix.

I find graphic equalizers so intuitive that I sometimes emulate a complex filter with them, because you have a far better control over steepness of the curve and the highs and lows of the spectrum than you have with just a filter. Certain filters can sound overused sometimes because they always use the same curve, while a filter made in an equalizer doesnt necessarily sound better, but you always get unique results. After that I often automate the different bands for unique filter movements - something I would need a lot of individual filter plugins in a row for.
  7. AwesomeQ

AwesomeQ
    1,492 posts
    Since Jun 24, 2008
    thankyou for the replies so far guys, all very helpful.
  8. Tube Jerk

Tube Jerk
    2,376 posts
    Since Dec 17, 2003
    well, music recorded in the 70's barely had any eq'ing at all. just simple shelve n' boost (Pultec style) and on the more expensive desks, a chromatically tuned filter to make certain notes come through a little stronger, or maybe a Perkins-style notch.

i can't really think of anyone worth their salt that would suggest that flatly eq'd mixes sound more attractive than ones with just simple shelving, altho they do sound louder. you can just extract more headroom and compress the program a lot more without it starting to break up.

that's where eq'ing is usefull in EDM, where loudness and clarity reign supreme over tone and character. also, when your mixes have had all the tonality surgically removed and the spec meter is responding pink-flat, it fits in with all the other tunes that are mixed this way, which is important now, for some reason.
  9. Lunat

Lunat
    580 posts
    Since Apr 9, 2007
    Stop college and find a job now, you have everything it takes to be a successful journalist by today's standards.