if you could change one thing about the daw you use what would it be

Apr 10, 2012

1. joemaki

joemaki
    1,234 posts
    Since May 15, 2010
    for example for me in flstudio why cant they just have the make unique as a sample not only work with audio but midi also (as in thats what you use to bounce parts down) loads of other daws managed to have features like this why cant fruitys be that.
  2. Gutterpup Plonker

Gutterpup
    53 posts
    Since Jun 16, 2011
    Change the layout in Ableton to a multi-monitor friendly display so I can have the mixer on one monitor and the arranger / clips on another but make it an option so it doesn't alienate people who are currently happy.

And 64 bit support, I paid for this vast amount of RAM, let me use it.

And an envelope follower / LFO for ALL internal effects and VSTs.

And ffs why do I have to consolidate .REX files in order to warp them...

And curved automation.

Okay that was more than one, sue me.
  3. sustenance

sustenance
    329 posts
    Since Mar 26, 2012
    look up bitwig studio
  4. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    I wish FL would implement basic audio tracks (in addition to the audio clips) in which you could edit audio right then and there instead of having to use Edison. I also hate the fact that mixer tracks are fixed... I wish I could move mixer channels around and even delete them. I havte when I have something going, but maybe I need another drum channel... but my drum section on my mixer is out of channels... why can't I just add one?

Cubase - FFS, just give us curved automation and some more creative tools (like the XY controller and envelope controller in FL). IF they could combine those 2 DAWs I'd be in heaven... the audio implementation of Cubase w/ the automation/modulation of FL would be a god-send.
  5. Pseudonym1471

Pseudonym1471
    148 posts
    Since Mar 25, 2010
    Cubase has curved automation - use the parabola tool to draw a curve.
  6. Airstrike aka Maiki

Airstrike
    1,339 posts
    Since Jan 9, 2008
    amen to all of the above + more keyboard shortcuts
  7. mr meh

mr meh
    565 posts
    Since Jan 10, 2011
    What, so you cant have the mixer/session view on one screen and the arrangement view on another?? If so, im glad i just heard that as i was gonna buy another monitor for that purpose.

And what i would suggest is that Ableton has a zoom via the mouse scroll wheel.
  8. Kaegee drum & bias

Kaegee
    858 posts
    Since Jun 18, 2005

I haven't updated since Fruity 8, but moving mixer channels is still done by holding Alt and using the left/right arrow keys, no? Just select an unused channel and move it to the left til it's there, like moving samplers up/down on the sequencer. Would be easier if I could just right click add channel for sure.

Completely agree that Fruity's audio editing needs work, I've only used audio tracks rarely, for very long samples. In the same way that you get dedicated ADSR and filters per sampler, a dedicated Edison-like interface per audio track would be nice. Or just normal Cubase style audio fuck's sake.

Also (perhaps this has been improved?) an easier way to distinguish between your different coloured midi notes on the piano roll when they overlap. When multiple notes are stacked on each other you only see the top note, and it's frustrating having to separate all the notes just to see what you've got.
  9. Pseudonym1471

Pseudonym1471
    148 posts
    Since Mar 25, 2010
    Was going to say better quality pitch shifting and time stretching in Cubase, but I use 5 and apparently 6 has this. Time to upgrade!

Actually, better native EQ/plugins would help. Logic shits on Cubase in this field.
  10. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    properer latency compensation ...like in PT

Or at least latency measuring plugin for Win(developers, please read this - it shouldnt be so hard)
  11. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,197 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
  12. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    Dude... thank you sooo much, I could never figure that out. Everyday I learn something new about FL! :twothumbs:
  13. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    I'm talking about this:

[​IMG]

Continuously variable curves... not being able to draw a basic curved line. In FL, you can draw 2 points.... lets say over the course of 1 bar, the line goes from o to 127. In the middle of the line there's a little circle that you can drag to create any complex curve you can imagine.... not just a basic, one-size-fits-all curve. In FL it's fully adjustable, which really comes in handy.

Nothing against Cubase, I use it constantly, and in many way I prefer it to FL. But FL has Macros, various mapping formulas, the ability to link infinite parameters to the same controller with inverse mapping formulas. FL has creative and innovative features which allows you to build modular synths and FX with ease, create LFOs and envelopes to which you can link to any parameter(s). It offers creative features instead of just being a console and tape machine emulation.

If FL stepped up it's game and added regular audio tracks, I'd be dumbfounded if anyone used anything other than FL or Ableton (and, of course Pro Tools, as it's just too easy to edit audio in PT).
  14. Kaegee drum & bias

Kaegee
    858 posts
    Since Jun 18, 2005
    Glad to help! I remember how happy I was to discover this, it had been steering my testicles for ages.

also, I had an epiphany about the overlapping midi notes just after I posted. Turns out that holding Alt while clicking the stacked notes will cycle through the different colours. Still a bit wonky, but a much more efficient method. Probs time to go over the fucking manual again.
  15. kajiotaku BXBL

kajiotaku
    810 posts
    Since Dec 22, 2008
    I would like FL Studio to have easier to define max and min values for controllers. Currently I have to copy the knob value for the min and max, find the difference, use Input*%difference%+%minval% or variations upon that with log. It should be easier. Plus that mapping formula output level should be draggable, like the MIDI velocity curve window, and it will make a formula reflecting it or you can disable auto-formula and do something with multiple points.
  16. Cee-Jay

Cee-Jay
    2,993 posts
    Since Feb 23, 2003
    Cubase and the need for a flaming dongle.
    Have to agree the built in bits could definitely be better but its fair to say it runs 3rd party vsts better than any other DAW and its so refined, so its a fair trade off. Does have an extremely steep learning curve so could probably be a bit simpler for beginners(worth it in the end just be willing to spend time before you get anywhere).
  17. Full Clip Audio www.EricRacy.com

Full Clip Audio
    11,745 posts
    Since Jun 5, 2003
    Pro Tools needs a way to "print" tracks and busses quickly without bouncing or crazy routing. Just a "print" button that makes a new track.
  18. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's "min" and "max" knobs on automation clips that accomplish just that, if I understand you correctly.

[​IMG]
  19. kajiotaku BXBL

kajiotaku
    810 posts
    Since Dec 22, 2008
    That's cool and all but I meant more for individual links to the same controller so I can have just one automation clip controlling a morphing EQ.

[​IMG]

I like doing things like that and having it all set to one automation clip.
  20. selig

selig
    317 posts
    Since Dec 15, 2007
    I work with a lot of samples so I would like to see somebody combine a piano roll with a normal audio track so I could simply drop audio onto a piano roll, instead of using a note, and pitch and edit the sample (or samples) directly in the piano roll.

If somebody tells me of a daw that already does this then I'm ditching reaper and flstudio straight away.
  21. Pseudonym1471

Pseudonym1471
    148 posts
    Since Mar 25, 2010
    I used FL for about a year so I know how it works, but thanks for the pitch. With all the Cubase tools you can pretty much draw any shape you want, don't see this as a massive benefit. Recording everything in live gives a more natural feel anyway.

Ableton is the one where automation is lacking. However I never seem to get pissed off with its flaws - single screen workflow works well on a laptop and I get around poor automation by recording everything in. Really hope Live 9 is similar to 8 but just with a few tiny tweaks.
  22. Ibunshi Mpc Pilot

Ibunshi
    8,399 posts
    Since Jun 8, 2007
    i would like a one click bounce in cubase.. working pretty much exactly as the freeze button, but instead of locking the rendered audio and keeping vst's stuck in the rack.. it just drops the rendered audio and removes/bypasses the vst's that was in use

i find the freeze button kinda useless for the most part, as i can not do anything to that channel or the audio after i use it, and so i have to jump around in menues doing mixdwons of individual channels, and then bring that back into the project, then clean up the old channel or delete it etc.. its not bad but could easily be made better i think

so when clicking 'freeze' you could get asked if you simply want to replace the old channel with the new render, or just freeze as normal if you think you may have to unfreeze an continue to tweak.. but if you know what you want on that channel, then freeze is just hindering you from continuing to work on it..

an alternative to that is the key command for "bounce" audio when having something selected on the lane.. all that seems to do is to render the selection into whatever new length, volume, or volume envelope you have set... but what they could ahve done here is to allow you to render it with all the vst's you have set up on that channel.. making resampling much swifter because the rack allows you to stack processes, and the only way you can render a piece of audio with a vst otherwise is to do it one by one.. making it a bit hit or miss if you have to backtrack when you realise you should have done something differently.. but this way you could have a channel free at all times that you just use for quick experimentation and renders of your audio.. allowing you to keep on working right on the audio lanes at all times without having to jump around in menues or having to do mixdown as then import audio back and forth..

not a big deal but would definitely make things flow better for me
  23. padillac

padillac
    143 posts
    Since Sep 15, 2010
    It's all in how you define automation, isn't it? If you want to draw smooth curves with your mouse Ableton won't do it for you (there are plugins for that). If you want to draw smooth curves using your midi controller then Ableton really excels at capturing your performance if you want to call it that.
  24. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    isnt multilink to controllers for that purpose or cant you just uncheck remove the conflicts when assigning...or something with the instrument "midi out" maybe...havent used FL for 1-2 years now and forgot most of the things - only did a quick check but dont want to configure midi and such in order to try that...

edit : maybe you're on older version and that multilink to controllers(the little joystick) isnt there ?
  25. Pseudonym1471

Pseudonym1471
    148 posts
    Since Mar 25, 2010
    That would be a handy feature. I guess if you're already pointing audio towards your project audio folder and you've ticked 'reimport to audio track' it is pretty fast to assign a keyboard shortcut to 'export audio file' and it will immediately bounce and reimport onto a new track. However when you want to change bounce destinations etc it does become a hassle.
  26. monkey man

monkey man
    6,032 posts
    Since Jun 15, 2001
    Are you saying there's nothing you'd change then? There's loads I love about Reaper but it's definitely not perfect. I know lots of people say they're not bothered but I personally think the lack of a dedicated audio editor is rubbish - zooming in and editing small transients can get more clunky than it needs to be. Also, something like this (especially when Cubase had this back in SX!):

27. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,197 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    no idea why i'd need another audio editor, and i've never warped tracks either.
  28. monkey man

monkey man
    6,032 posts
    Since Jun 15, 2001
    Well that's good for you. I've been hankering after the audio warper since moving from SX to Reaper, but then that's me.
  29. kajiotaku BXBL

kajiotaku
    810 posts
    Since Dec 22, 2008
    My original post wasn't about an inability to have multiple links; it was about it being difficult to easily assign maximum and minimum levels to individual links to the same controller.

Like controller A affects:

Value 1: 50-78
    Value 2: 24-53
    Value 3: 42-45
  30. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings
    1,996 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    I wish you could copy and paste frozen segments.... it makes no sense to me that you can't do this. You figure, when you freeze something, it essentially creates a "ghost" audio file of that pattern... so why can't you copy and paste that? It kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

I also wish Cubase had a better method for linking parameters to controllers. In FL, all you have to do is click the "multilink" button, touch the parameters you want to control, then move the corresponding controllers... it couldn't be easier.

Cubase should also also add a "smart tool".... like in FL, it will be a pencil in empty portions of the piano roll, but if you hover it over a note that is already drawn in, it will allow you to move or resize a note, and if you hold the right mouse button, it turns to an eraser. You almost never need to use another tool or a modifier, which is a big time saver.