Look at this crazy shizz!!! merging reality and virtual reality

May 8, 2006

1. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    probably a repost?? but i couldnt find anything about it on DOA....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3857855347623051125&q=video revolution demo&pl=true

"This is a video from DEMO 2004 showing Total Immersion's D'Fusion technology, which was rumoured to be used in Nintendo's [then-unnamed] upcoming console, Revolution"

(i seriously doubt it but maybe this is revolution/wii's last big secret? would be cool as fuck but i cant imagine it being cheap enough for a console tho)

looks amazing tho, some french company have got a technology that projects CGI in 3D onto reality by the look of it... i dont understand it fully but it looks freaking increadible and depending how cheap it becomes and how it gets used it could seriously change a lot of things in the technology sector imo....

fun to watch aswell!!!

im actually totally miffed as to how it works tho, if anyone knows please enlighten us!!!
  2. whizz

whizz
    8,628 posts
    Since May 30, 2002
    wow :eek:

That's very impressive !!
  3. dubpl8killa pooo

dubpl8killa
    4,341 posts
    Since Jun 7, 2005
    wtf :smashed: thats sick
  4. theory-1

theory-1
    1,897 posts
    Since Dec 18, 2005
    witchcraft?
  5. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    :laughing: im pretty sure if youd shown it 100 years ago you would be dead meat... luckily these days miracles are less severly punished :teeth: usually anyway :rolleyes2
  6. theory-1

theory-1
    1,897 posts
    Since Dec 18, 2005
    exactly

although the more advanced technology gets the closer it seems to get to magic .. i can see this kind of stuff being used for the wrong reasons in the future to fool a lot of people into believing something, especially with the advancements in the quality of graphics
  7. skiba's minimal moustache

skiba's minimal moustache
    708 posts
    Since Dec 10, 2005
  8. P58 Angry Citizen

P58
    2,372 posts
    Since Jan 5, 2005
    So were the flower and the lightsaber really "there"...like being projected somehow, or was that 3D image just overlayed onto the video the of the guy doing the demonstration to reflect what was being displayed on the screens? I think it was overlayed afterwards, because the objects in his hands stayed in front, even if his hand passed through where a real object would stop another real object(if you watched it, you know what I mean). Regardless of it was being projected somehow, or if it just shows up on the screen, still pretty cool.

All these new toys!!!:teeth:
  9. whizz

whizz
    8,628 posts
    Since May 30, 2002
    what you see is a generated video image :twothumbs:

NOT a video filming the guy
  10. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    yeah its all just merged into a video.. but its done in real time....

so you will never see the flower in your hand, but the video will show the flower... so basically it relies on being projected on a screen...

without the screen to show it on it doesnt exist etc...

i was thining it used holographic projection or something at first tho, but im pretty sure it doesnt...
  11. Citizen Kang Entheogenic

Citizen Kang
    22,980 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2001
  12. kreza

kreza
    303 posts
    Since Apr 10, 2006
    Yeah I don't think they can do that yet, though live video manipulation has been going on for a while, football matches etc.

What is cool is that the software can recognise real world geometry - I wonder how much of it they had to code in advance? Couldn't hear any of the voiceover - no sound at work atm :(
  13. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    yeah thats cool man... all thats only 2D tho still... (well theres 3D there but its not merging 3D and film footage, only 2D and film footage)

have to mention the fact that the eye toy 2 borrows heavily from this technology aswell.... the demo of changing hairstyles in real time with eyetoy 2 on a toshiba pc looked really good aswell.. :smile:

i just thought that demo showed the most interesting examples & best technology in the same "area" that ive seen yet....

i guess the hardest part is always gunna be getting a computer to recognise your movements and where the object needs to be tho... but the total immersion demo seemed to do a DAMN good job of that...
  14. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    bump cus its cool :smile:
  15. Parker _________________________

Parker
    8,713 posts
    Since Sep 25, 2001
    I was thinking the same thing. Then my GF brought me back down to reality and pointed out it wasn't physically in his hand.

I'm REALLY curious to find out if the Nintendo Wii uses any part of this technology.
  16. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    yeah i severly doubt it tho tbh... i know eye toy 2 can do stuff like this tho which is one thing i really like about ps3... doubt it would be that versatile in gaming tho, i think its more usefull for video confrencing and 3D design etc, but for certain elements in games it coudl be damn good!! esspecially character customisation...

ie: scan yourself into a game, use that technology to customise yourself, change clothes, accesories etc etc....

hard to think of other uses for it in games tho....

the rev controller is imo a lot more suited to improving gaming/gameplay in all genres... but id definately love to see where this technology ends up, it could easily spawn a few great original games/genres :twothumbs:
  17. Junglesound Gold Guest

Junglesound Gold
    2,020 posts
    Since Mar 12, 2006
    i think it actually merges video into 3d on a screen, or on special glasses maybe. the main emphasis here is that it can track objects and limbs on video without markers. so maybe a game could incorporate kickboxing on the wii. use your whole body as a controller.
  18. FishLick

FishLick
    6,327 posts
    Since Oct 31, 2002
    Comeon,

FAKE
  19. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    yeah its possible... working in a similar way too eye toy i guess... tho eye toy was very very basic imo each movement you make needs to be pretty obvious and exagerated etc....

but tbh i dont think it would be low enough latency or versatile enough to work with many games/genres... for example i cant imagine it working for an FPS game atall, or football/sports, adventure etc etc....

stuff like DDR could work well with it tho and might even replace the dance mat etc.... or even a light gun game with your fingers etc... but i cant "imagine" how you would use it for much other stuff.... of you could use it for typing mid air or using a "virtual" touch screen etc....

assuming it worked perfectly with low latency that is....

im just thinking if you are doing stuff like a kick boxing game and you are punching towards the cam then i cant imagine it detecting perspective all that well in real time.... but i guess its possible....

guess well have to wait n see....
  20. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    nope :thumbup: (eye toy was doing a similar thing at a very very basic level, this is just a few leaps n bounds later)
  21. Junglesound Gold Guest

Junglesound Gold
    2,020 posts
    Since Mar 12, 2006
    perhaps theres a seperate chip for recognition? i think they eye toy just looks at the outlines pretty much without gettin deeper into it.
  22. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    yeah i guess if there is 2 or 3 cameras then its more than possible... as you coudl just take 2/3 simultaneous images and calculate the position of any real world object in 3D :twothumbs:

ie: one camera in front, one on the side and one above....

and yeah eye toy 1 did only use contrast/colour/movement to decode a single camera image and work out your movements etc, was pretty shit imo....

i cant see how it would work without multiple cameras tho tbh...
  23. Ilitirit

Ilitirit
    40,984 posts
    Since May 14, 2001
    one of the reasons i'm looking more forward to the Wii than the PS3, even though i think the PS3 will kill the XBOX and Wii in terms of performance.

nintendo seems to be the most innovative of the bunch.
  24. Dims beatfighter

Dims
    6,494 posts
    Since Nov 15, 2004
    Lawnmower Man.

Hopefully someday this technology will mimic the effects of hallucenagenic drugs....so people like me who want to do mescalin, but can't find it, will also have the opportunity for such adventures.
  25. Junglesound Gold Guest

Junglesound Gold
    2,020 posts
    Since Mar 12, 2006
    ever tripped hard on anything? the visuals are only the tip of the iceberg
  26. Citizen Kang Entheogenic

Citizen Kang
    22,980 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2001
    Dimethyltryptamine...:twothumbs: :alien: :alien: :thumbup: :biggrin:

Humbling to say the least...
  27. Junglesound Gold Guest

Junglesound Gold
    2,020 posts
    Since Mar 12, 2006
    ive been meaning to make some and smoke it but im afraid still:eek: :alien: :alien:
  28. djdna super nintendo chalmers

djdna
    38,227 posts
    Since Feb 5, 2002
    :script: i think the revolution will be roughly comparable graphically on a standard tv (esspecially against the first xbox360 games)... judging from the red steel/raid over the river screenshots anyway....

as soon as you are running anything on a HDTV tho revolution will start too look obviously/undeniably worse graphically tho, but virtual reality gameplay should/could/will easily make up for that by making games a lot more intuative/accurate and immersive imo, the best thing is that the revolutions controller is so damn versatile, it has potential to improve every game genre and allow new ones to be invented aswell....

im just trying to make sure i know someone with each console, so i can at least rinse them all a bit :P best of all 3 worlds that way :thumbup:

if this technology isnt on the revolution tho & eye toy 2 for PS3 turns out to be as good/better... i will gain some respect for sony, for being innovative, its no where near as usefull as the revo controller imo, but its definately something worth doing, used correctly in the right games it coudl be very cool :cool:
  29. Citizen Kang Entheogenic

Citizen Kang
    22,980 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2001
    Well I'm not sure about making yourself - unless you know your chemistry pretty well...

But don't be hesitant - it's better just keep an open mind and an open eye and pay attention. Cause nothing bad will happen and it's over after a few minutes.

But yeah it's def an experience that I still can't get over.

I've said before it's like a religious experience without the religion.

Because you are literally taken to another dimension. It's beyond hallucinating.

Sucked into a dimension of a billion colors and patterns - Then these Sentient "beings" showing me crazy hieroglyphic type symbols.

I've only had the opportunity to try it twice - I can't wait to try it again and try to explore these other realms more deeply.

Oh btw - the only after effect that occured was laughter and euphoria...

This Alex Grey Painting is the closest thing that I found that represents the colors and patterns you first see when entering this world:

[​IMG]
  30. Dims beatfighter

Dims
    6,494 posts
    Since Nov 15, 2004
    I know, but it would still be fun to wind up in some bizarre Tool cd sleeve eyball world....

:burn: