Mapping pitch bend to a knob in Ableton?

May 7, 2012

1. Momentumdnb

Momentumdnb
    2,296 posts
    Since May 18, 2005
    I sold my old midi controller and tried mapping the pitch bend (usually a wheel on a keyboard) to a knob on my pad controller and realized that I couldn't map it. Anyone know if there is a way to do this in ableton without a keyboard with a wheel?
  2. vanilla2k

vanilla2k
    10 posts
    Since May 7, 2012
    how about assigning it to the "Pitch" midi effect?
  3. Momentumdnb

Momentumdnb
    2,296 posts
    Since May 18, 2005
    it doesn't highlight purple, in other words, it's unnasignable.
  4. vanilla2k

vanilla2k
    10 posts
    Since May 7, 2012
    it definitely maps for me, just tried it

[​IMG]

is this not what you're looking at?
  5. Momentumdnb

Momentumdnb
    2,296 posts
    Since May 18, 2005
    That's mapping to the transposition to audio which goes by increments of semitones, which isn't a smooth pitch bend, it also sounds terrible too since it's warped.

I'm talking about the actual pitch bend in midi tracks.

[​IMG]
  6. vanilla2k

vanilla2k
    10 posts
    Since May 7, 2012
    Oh I see, you might have to do it inside the synth you're using. Sylenth has a pitch bend wheel that can be mapped.
  7. imPray

imPray
    192 posts
    Since Dec 26, 2010
    Gotta automate pitchbends for audio, or use it in a simpler/sampler.
  8. Momentumdnb

Momentumdnb
    2,296 posts
    Since May 18, 2005
    It makes no sense to me why they would not let you map pitch bend for midi unless it's used with a midi controller that has a pitch bend wheel.
  9. dag451 SEMAPHORE

dag451
    269 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2010
    Pitch bend has no corresponding control change number or value, it's hard-coded. That's why you can't assign. The only way to do this is to use a work-around of some sort. Frequency shifter might work, if you own it, but I'm not really a big fan of the way it sounds.

Other suggestions for a work-around would be to try something like MaxMSP or PD to convert the cc into pitch bend. I'm sure there is some third-party software that also does this. You might also want to look into to try some midi routing options with something like MIDIyoke/OX (if you're on a PC) or system preferences (MAC). But that is all a bit long really.

The only thing I can see working is a hack.

Or you could buy another little midi keyboard.
  10. Momentumdnb

Momentumdnb
    2,296 posts
    Since May 18, 2005
    is this something that's consistent across other daws or is this something in Live only?

I don't want to buy another midi keyboard unless I have to.
  11. dag451 SEMAPHORE

dag451
    269 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2010
    The pitch bend is MIDI standard as far as I'm aware. The only other I could suggest is that maybe there is a way of changing the message output of your controller.

What is it you're using? It may have some editing software that could allow to change things.

Pretty sure it is not a Live-only issue.
  12. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    this and find the default CC number of the pitchwheels also it might help...(the volume for example is CC#7 i think)...

other than that am really curious why you need that since almost every synth has a pitchwheel that you could assign your midi to, almost every sampler also...

i mean where other than that you need your midi pitch bend ?
  13. BleakReference

BleakReference
    4,494 posts
    Since Feb 1, 2007
    This.

It's much easier than you'd think to take whatever audio you're using (or a snippet thereof), put it in the Sampler/Simpler, and use the Pitch Bend from within there. Then you can assign it to whatever you like.
  14. Pyro

Pyro
    8,975 posts
    Since Feb 25, 2001
    its achievable but it depends what synth you're using, this is a "problem" in all daws. most synths will allow you to map something directly to the pitch of one or several oscillators, a macro in massive or modulation routing in omnisphere and so on. but yeah this is what the modwheel and pitch wheels are for and i agree that sometimes its really annoying that you cant assign or replace the desired modulator. i'm sure max4live could get around it :twothumbs:
  15. ripsaw_22

ripsaw_22
    3,053 posts
    Since Oct 20, 2007
    if you can control it using a normal pitch bend wheel, then you will be able to control it with any other midi controller.

like someone suggested, if you can't change ableton's mapping to match you controller, change your controller to match ableton. should be fairly quick and painless after a quick perusal of the manual.

the pitch bend is midi cc#7.
  16. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    wasnt that volume ?...or volume was #6 or #1 :smashed:
  17. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011