Mountain Bike Dogs.

Jan 10, 2012

1. barryon Fiddely Dee. Rumpity Doo.

barryon
    4,051 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2008
    I'm looking to buy a mountain bike . We have a scheme in work where you can get a tax free bike. I have 1000 euro to spend. My head is melted TBH. So much information.

I have a short list of three.

Stevens 5S :

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/products.php?product=2012-Stevens-5S-Hardtail-MTB

Specialized Rockhopper Expert :

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...in-bike-ec030688?currency=EUR&country=GERMANY

or the CUBE Acid. (I'm going to have a look at this later today.)

http://www.cyclezoneuk.com/14627/products/cube-acid-black-n-white-2012.aspx

Any ideas, comments, recommendations?
  2. hadees Banned

hadees
    3,840 posts
    Since Nov 22, 2002
    Out of those 3 I would get the Cube. My brother has a 2010 Acid and it looks and rides great.:twothumbs:
  3. k0mA dnb maniac

k0mA
    4,036 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
  4. barryon Fiddely Dee. Rumpity Doo.

barryon
    4,051 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2008

I'm going down to a shop after work to have a look at one of them. From what i have read they seem to be great bikes. One of my mates in work has a Cube road bike. He seems happy enough with it.
  5. t0pc4t Lycra Clad Street Warrior

t0pc4t
    10,489 posts
    Since Mar 13, 2006
  6. t0pc4t Lycra Clad Street Warrior

t0pc4t
    10,489 posts
    Since Mar 13, 2006
    if you're in the UK cycle to work is £1000 limit
  7. t0pc4t Lycra Clad Street Warrior

t0pc4t
    10,489 posts
    Since Mar 13, 2006
    and get the canyon, spec shits all over the others.
  8. barryon Fiddely Dee. Rumpity Doo.

barryon
    4,051 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2008
    Cheers man. I'm in Ireland so our limit for the B2W scheme is 1000 euro. I'll check and see if i can find a shop that stocks canyons over here and have a look.
  9. khoma

khoma
    25,669 posts
    Since Oct 24, 2004
    Canyon > the rest
  10. barryon Fiddely Dee. Rumpity Doo.

barryon
    4,051 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2008
    I haven't been into bikes since i was 17. What makes the Canyon so good? I don;t think any of the shops on our scheme stock them but i'll ask them to get one in if they are a lot better than the ones i am looking at.

Edit : Right just did a bit of research. The canyon is a no-go. They only sell online. The company we do our scheme with is signed up to most Irish bike shops but that's it. :(
  11. megamindbeastfeatures

megamindbeastfeatures
    435 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2011
  12. kIFEbASTARd

kIFEbASTARd
    1,997 posts
    Since Sep 26, 2003
    Out of the ones you've mentioned, the cube seems the way to go. Decent for an entry level MTB, and a full XT drive train is a plus as well.
  13. t0pc4t Lycra Clad Street Warrior

t0pc4t
    10,489 posts
    Since Mar 13, 2006
    sorry, only thought last night that canyon only sell direct, my bad

yes mate the LTD is lush, if you're after it for off roading it is a well decent start and a cut above the acid.

I have those forks on my anthem and they are well nice.

The drivetrain is also sweet

definitely get it, you will not be sorry.
  14. dnb_soldier

dnb_soldier
    563 posts
    Since May 2, 2003
    hey dogs..

could use a bit of advice here as I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to mountainbikes.

I brought my old bucket to an inspection to have it ready for the summer but as I was told by two different bike shops, this would have been close to 100 euros as this thing was almost faling apart.

one of the stores offered me the bike below (specialized hardrock sport 2011) for 320 Euros / 265 pound. from what I see online, this seems to be a pretty fair price.

good deal?! yay or nay?!

http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=58491
  15. afek_one Dude that still likes dnb

afek_one
    2,768 posts
    Since Jul 9, 2003
    That's a fair price. You get what you pay for, that's why you'd be buying a piece of shit bike. Are you just going to commute? If so, why a mountain bike? Are you going to be dirt jumping on your way to work? Are going to hit some paths on your way home? There are far more efficient bikes for your needs.
  16. ItHasToBeSaid

ItHasToBeSaid
    6,839 posts
    Since Apr 5, 2008

well i'd say that website is awful, the spec list doesn't even tell you what breaks, gears or fork it has and more

being a piece of shit bike is relative, if you have a £1000 bike somebody with a £3000 bike will probably think yours is a piece of shit bike compared to his

personally i'm looking for a new mountain bike too and will spend up to about £600, from what i've seen so far some of the best specced ones for that price are at halfords

e.g. this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810735_langId_-1_categoryId_165499
  17. barryon Fiddely Dee. Rumpity Doo.

barryon
    4,051 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2008
    I never ended up getting a bike at all. The bike to work scheme in work was going to cost 200 euro a month. I just didn't have that type of cash. I plan on getting one soon enough though. I still have my heart set on that Cube.
  18. Ibunshi Mpc Pilot

Ibunshi
    8,399 posts
    Since Jun 8, 2007
  19. satboy Banned by DOA

satboy
    744 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2012
    i say get the cube acid, i rode the 2010 version too and it had brilliant dynamics (road holding and cornering). the thing is that if you want a mountain bike mostly for urban environments, try to get one with a longer wheelbase - like the frame is more stretched horizontally. it wont be as comfortable but the lower center of gravity REALLY pays off (e.g. a cheapish-longish bike will have even better cornering than the acid). the only thing to remember is that you need to ALWAYS stand on the pedals when going over rough terrain.

good luck mate, 1000 euros can get you a really sweet bike! :twothumbs:

EDIT: be careful though as it has disc brakes which are finicky and high maitainence. i dont see any v-brake mounting posts either on the suspension. maybe you could ask for the same suspension with v-brake mounts? your call mate :spliff:

EDIT2: barryon, i asked around and the Cannondale Flash Alloy series and Cube Reaction might be your IDEAL choices... out of price bracket tho :teeth:

check out the Saracen bikes, especially the Kili Chromo 1 and Mantra Expert, although if i am not sure they are imported into IE

ok i will shut up now
  20. satboy Banned by DOA

satboy
    744 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2012
    it depends on the frame. if it is butted aluminium or has nice geometry - the 100 euro is a standard price (i say) for changing the drivetrain (pedals, bottom bracket, all cogs, chain, brakes).
  21. C H R O N I C Morally Abhorrent

C H R O N I C
    8,114 posts
    Since Oct 6, 2004
    I seem to go the opposite route of everyone. I always buy the cheapest used piece of shit I can find and slowly replace each component with quality parts over time. The Truvativ crankset I just put on it is worth more than what I originally paid for the bike in the 1st place. :teeth:
  22. pijin :teeth: alwayse

pijin
    6,080 posts
    Since Nov 14, 2007

:script:

wait for the bargains. one of the benefits of living on an estate full of scrap men is a neverending supply of parts, i got a 2007 carrera banshee frame (good cond) for 15 quid last year, waited a few months and got hold of another scrap carrera (vulcan) for 20 notes and all that was up with it was the rear quick release pin was snapped :smashed:

slapped the vulcan bits onto the banshee frame and ive got a mint banshee with all round suspension lockout and hydraulic brakes for 35 quid :slayer: not the worlds most amazing bike i know, but for £35 you cant really moan.
  23. C H R O N I C Morally Abhorrent

C H R O N I C
    8,114 posts
    Since Oct 6, 2004
    Nice. Yeah, it's funny that people will essentially give away things that are 99% functioning. I quite enjoy finding the bargains, fixing stuff up, etc. Half the fun TBH. :teeth:
  24. satboy Banned by DOA

satboy
    744 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2012
    last time i bought a shitty bike with great frame for 100 euros, changed components for 100 euros and sold it for 350 euros :twothumbs:
  25. ItHasToBeSaid

ItHasToBeSaid
    6,839 posts
    Since Apr 5, 2008
    Carrera Fury

[​IMG]
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_810659_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#tab2

Alloy Rims: Yes
    Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
    Chainset: FSA 2x10 chainset 36/24T
    Exact Frame Size: 20"
    Fork Lock-out : Yes
    Fork travel: 120mm
    Forks: Suntour Raidon X2 air suspension forks
    Forks - Adjustable damping : Yes
    Frame Colour: Black
    Frame Material: Aluminium
    Frame Size: 19-20
    Frame-: Lightweight 7005 T6 aluminium
    Front Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake
    Front Mech: SRAM X5 2x10 front mech
    Gear Shifters: SRAM X5 2x10 trigger shifters
    Handle Bars: Alloy oversize riser bars (30mm rise) (31.8mm diameter)
    Headset: Semi integrated
    Hubs: Alloy with Q/R
    Number of Gears: 20
    Pedals: Alloy platform with toe clips
    Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake
    Rear Mech: SRAM X5 rear mech (10sp)
    Rims: Double wall alloy rims
    Saddle: Carrera
    Stem: Ahead aluminium stem
    Suspension: Front
    Tyre size: 2.20"
    Tyres: Continental Mountain King
    Wheel size: 26"
    Approximate Weight (KG): 13.1
    Cassette: 11-36T

OR

Trek 4900 D

[​IMG]
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/4900-d-2012-mountain-bike-ec030269?query=trek 4900#answers

Frame:
    Alpha Gold Aluminium w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork: SR Suntour XCR-RL w/coil spring, preload, remote lockout, 100mm travel
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M663 Shadow
    Number of Gears: 30
    Shifters: Shimano Deore M591, 10 speed
    Chainset: Shimano M522, 42/32/24
    Cassette: Shimano HG62-10 11-36, 10 speed
    Pedals: Wellgo alloy platform
    Front Brake: Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes
    Rear Brake: Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes
    Brake Levers: Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes
    Handlebars: Bontrager Low Riser OS, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm