My MP3 views

Jun 2, 2005

1. fresh Dj Fresh

fresh
    2,988 posts
    Since Jan 24, 2001
    My views on mp3 ;]

fuck, beatport will kill me!
    The internet is not very secure at the moment as a place to business, i happen to know for a fact this is going to change in the near future and this will encourage labels to confidently make use of the 'digital marketplace' ... hence speeding up the evolution of the way we obtain and use music and digital media.

I personally rate vinyl over mp3s and cds for a variety of reasons, im sure you can run a search on the topic if you want more depth, for now ill just run with the statement... FOR DJING!!

For listening .. well it doesnt take a particularly evolved species of insect to work out that mp3s are far superior, and for a million other reasons when it comes to listening, mp3s are the lick. For djs who cant afford to cut dubplates .. ie. the majority, mp3s are a good option.

and thats what we are here to offer .. THE OPTION! .. you decide, no point living in fear of the future.

I hope youll agree with me that alongside I Tunes Beatport is the most efficient user friendly fast way of downloading, and unlike i tunes ... its got 'da beats'

;]

now do the scene a favour and pay for it instead of stealing it.. or is it only the hip hop scene that supports its artists?
  2. djshine Revival kru

djshine
    5,157 posts
    Since Apr 19, 2004
    Yeah vinyl :bgrin:
  3. m0rt dapper don

m0rt
    718 posts
    Since Nov 19, 2003
    don't shoot the messenger!!!
  4. Dj`Sinister ...

Dj`Sinister
    2,378 posts
    Since Jan 22, 2005
    theres nothing better than vinyl:script: :smoke:
  5. Tomlinwellsly

Tomlinwellsly
    25,953 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2002
    i'm not clued up about this stuff much, but isn't a wav better quality than an mp3?

so shouldn't people be selling wav's instead?

i take it the best quality mp3 is better than a standard wav then?
  6. fresh Dj Fresh

fresh
    2,988 posts
    Since Jan 24, 2001
    well we could sell wavs if you want, but you could be there for a while ol buddy :upsidedow
  7. PUREFORM Drum and Bass Purist

PUREFORM
    1,002 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2002
    :thumbup: :slayer:
  8. m0rt dapper don

m0rt
    718 posts
    Since Nov 19, 2003
    What do you think/know will change ?
  9. ETOPS low flying aircraft

ETOPS
    4,890 posts
    Since Jun 1, 2004
    Gotta agree with Fresh, its an option so you decide :twothumbs:
  10. djcixelsyd Snare Bear Assassin

djcixelsyd
    9,456 posts
    Since Feb 14, 2003
    thats right but you could also give people the option to receive the wav on a CD mailed to them for an additional fee for the CD and the postage...
  11. Tomlinwellsly

Tomlinwellsly
    25,953 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2002
    so mp3's aren't better quality?

if i were to convert, or rather start buying digital tunes, i would want the best quality, whatever format it was in.

plus if you think about it, your average tune buyer has to wait a couple of days for postage, and with my uber hastey connection (yeah right) i could download a wav quicker than waiting for the postal service.
  12. re[fl3x] fishfinger

re[fl3x]
    5,438 posts
    Since Oct 7, 2003
    now if shops wouldn't "fear the future" and accept paypal...
  13. hipnotic

hipnotic
    42,718 posts
    Since Dec 12, 2002
    bring it on

personally, no decks, so vinyl is useless to me, i buy cd albums when they come along but there are so many tunes i could/would be buying as a 'single' if/when the mp3 option is there. at the moment its not really, its not worth my while paying 6 quid for vinyl with one tune i (maybe) dont want, shipping it, taking it to a mates, ripping it, ignoring it; so i just end up listening to mixes with tunes in or going without. if there's a point where i can dial in more or less any track, drop a quid or couple of quid and get the full thing, 320, legit, artist gets paid, i'm probably gonna get quite carried away with that. so everyone is assuming mp3 sales will automatically detract from vinyl sales but i dont think thats necessarily so. i think there is potentially a whole new market to be created here.

not sure if its there yet (eg: beatport = no subtitles, no comm suicide) but i welcome every step towards it.

and all the naysayers saying "this will kill vinyl, and leave dnb ruled by geeks", LOL and WTF. having the option doesnt kill vinyl. if everybody buys mp3 and nobody buys vinyl then vinyl dies but the people killed it with their buying choices, the mp3 store didnt kill it by existing. i dont recall any announcement "doa announce mp3 shop, force shutdown all vinyl shops worldwide". if u want vinyl, go buy vinyl, and stfu whinging about provision of other choices for people with different habits/needs.
  14. iNS0R minimalist

iNS0R
    1,783 posts
    Since Sep 9, 2004
    so you happen to know this is going to change ? care to fill us in how exactly ? cos personally i know for a fact that its not gonna be that way .. and although i find the idea of selling mp3s a good one, i must say that personally, i wouldnt pay for digital music just as i wouldnt pay for digital literature (ebooks)..
    theres just a difference between having the tune on your HD and actually owning it on 12 or cd ..
  15. artificialx1 virb.com/nephilim

artificialx1
    15,362 posts
    Since Oct 11, 2002
    8 tunes for $10 smashes 8 12's for $90-$100. esp if you're not a dj.

good man.:thumbup:
  16. djcixelsyd Snare Bear Assassin

djcixelsyd
    9,456 posts
    Since Feb 14, 2003
    no

mp3s are compressed wavs

320k is 25% the size of a wav

average wav is going to be on the order of 60 megs then, which actually isnt that bad considering server speeds
  17. Andydextruss Something

Andydextruss
    12,156 posts
    Since Feb 17, 2004
    Assuming you use a good quality convertor (eg Sound Forge, Wavelab) a 320kbps mp3 is inaudibly different to a .wav some people might be able to tell (ie the producer) but basically the difference is so slight its negligable.

A 320kbps is also about a 7th (I think though I'm not certain) of the size of the .wav so d/l times a greatly reduced and storage is better used.

That miniscule increase in quality isnt worth the extra bandwidth, d/l times and storage space needed so its not used.
  18. clintonics ™

clintonics
    8,203 posts
    Since Jun 5, 2002
    I think it can work. glad you decided to kick it off with a free track. hopefully you're as generous in the future with new shit.

:vinyl: > :mp3:
  19. urbanjunglist Music Aficionado

urbanjunglist
    2,930 posts
    Since Dec 30, 2004
  20. m0rt dapper don

m0rt
    718 posts
    Since Nov 19, 2003
  21. guise Convict Digital

guise
    10,788 posts
    Since Mar 16, 2004

Bandwidth however. :loot:
  22. Divine Styler yarr

Divine Styler
    6,766 posts
    Since Dec 13, 2002
    all the other crap aside this is what it comes down to. support your scene or your scene won't be able to support you.
  23. Tomlinwellsly

Tomlinwellsly
    25,953 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2002
    cheers.

:smil:

i'd still like to get my favourite tunes on wav though probably, unless of course i truely couldn't tell the difference in a "blind test"
  24. guise Convict Digital

guise
    10,788 posts
    Since Mar 16, 2004

Nearly all DRMs can be cracked, and were only created just to give record companies a warm and fuzzy.
  25. djcixelsyd Snare Bear Assassin

djcixelsyd
    9,456 posts
    Since Feb 14, 2003
    understandable, especially if you are paying for it, which is why I suggested the mail the .wav on CD option (especially in view of Guise's point about b/w which is a good one)... but I hafta say I seriously doubt you could tell the difference in quality
  26. guise Convict Digital

guise
    10,788 posts
    Since Mar 16, 2004
    :script: :script: :script:
  27. Gormo Mildly Cretinous

Gormo
    24,251 posts
    Since Jun 19, 2003
    This is a bit of a general statement, im interpereting this in 2 ways.

1) Trading over the internet is not secure (in general)

This is not true, sites with ssl are considered to be safer than shops, its easyer to "skim" a credit card from a buyers point of view. (hence why people are shifting to chip and pin). The information passes through more hands aswell when using normal shops.

2) selling mp3's is not secure as they could be shared via p2p.

This isn't really an issue as most vinyl gets ripped anyway, drm wont many odds either as people can always re-record the analogue signal.
  28. guise Convict Digital

guise
    10,788 posts
    Since Mar 16, 2004

I think Beatport was already offering wav's on CD when I was reading into it.

Just costs a bit more for shipping, costs of CD and what not.
  29. Divine Styler yarr

Divine Styler
    6,766 posts
    Since Dec 13, 2002
    exactly. for every programmer that figures out how to protect something their is another nerdier one who will figure out how to get around it.

there will never be a way to completely control this shit period.

that's why it all comes back full circle to supporting your scene. it's the responsibility of each of us to do our part to help these guys put food on the table not the responsibility of the government to waste resources trying to stop something that will never stop.
  30. Spectra

Spectra
    7,911 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2003

:thumbup: