Reason and Reece bass lines???? any ideas

Feb 18, 2002

1. 2 for the money

2 for the money
    24 posts
    Since Feb 13, 2002
    I have been using reason and other synths for quite some time but for some reason i can not figure out how to get a reece sound in reason can anyone help?
  2. dj syntax

dj syntax
    21 posts
    Since Feb 12, 2002
    i just posted this same question in this same forum about a month ago. do a search for reece or reese and loads of stuff will come up to give you all the exact specs. for starters take the oscillators in the subtractor and make sure that they are both saws and detune them. you can so this by raising one by 25 cents. this should get you started. mess around with it and try pluggin the matrix gate cv into different inputs on the subtractor to get different effects with note changes. i got a wicked reece sound out of mine
  3. 2 for the money

2 for the money
    24 posts
    Since Feb 13, 2002
    werd thnx I got some decent sounding sound stuff last night but still I dont think that the subtractor is capible of making it not sound hollow.
  4. dj syntax

dj syntax
    21 posts
    Since Feb 12, 2002
    that subtractor is capable of just about anyhting. try eq the sound on the mixer a bit and applying an envelope filter, some distortion, a compressor, slight delay and bit of reverb. also, try creating a second matrix with no notes, and using it's gate CV connected to the fm modulation on the subtractor, then use the gate to draw in changes. my first actual reece took a shitload of racks to start sounding good.
  5. Deceptikon

Deceptikon
    8,316 posts
    Since Sep 22, 2001
    I can tell you. Don't use saw waves for reece basses. Use the square wave on OSC 1 at octave 2 or 1 (can't remember). Turn OSC 2 off. Put on some filter envelope and amp envelope til you get the shape you want. Then set the polyphony to 1 and set it to legato with the portamento about half way up. Add a compressor and set the ratio to 1:16 set the threshold to 0 set the attack to 0 and the release to 0. Then add a distortion module with settings of 55 on the Foldback and the Amount. Then bring the filter down to about 35 maybe a bit lower and set the resonance to about 100. Use the note slide to create that hollow sound by making the first note where you want it to be and the rest of the notes either 5 or 7 keys down. It sounds pretty cool.
  6. Mick Situp MiX iT uP

Mick Situp
    12,324 posts
    Since Aug 15, 2001
    we got the sample from the original e-dancer tune... it's scandalous how little some peole have done to it, e.g. LemonD "manhattan melody" has it just lifted staight off, time streached a little...

Once it was sampled into logic, distortion plug ins make it fiercer.. the possibilities are pretty big!

the original e-dancer tune has been re-pressed recently... (kevin "reece" sauderson)
  7. Osyris Slangin brain food

Osyris
    240 posts
    Since Jan 18, 2002
    You know the best way to get a reece bass????

1. Search and Download a sample on the internet.

2. Listen to some old Dr. Dre productions. Your bound to land on a clean sample.

If youwant a reece sound don't try to make it yourself well ,heh, unless you got the right equipment.

Dylan????? That you??? Deceptikon Mofo.
  8. noisia swashbuckler

noisia
    1,362 posts
    Since Jan 18, 2002
    whats a reece??
  9. Osyris Slangin brain food

Osyris
    240 posts
    Since Jan 18, 2002
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  10. noisia swashbuckler

noisia
    1,362 posts
    Since Jan 18, 2002
    yeah but whats so special about it....
  11. Mick Situp MiX iT uP

Mick Situp
    12,324 posts
    Since Aug 15, 2001
    mmm, ask the hundreds of producers who've used it... (e.g. on, Locust, messiah, surreal killer all reece-esque)
  12. Deceptikon

Deceptikon
    8,316 posts
    Since Sep 22, 2001
    Are you asking me if I'm Dylan? I'm not Dylan. I'm Weston (aka Deceptikon, Archeon).
  13. Deceptikon

Deceptikon
    8,316 posts
    Since Sep 22, 2001
    Wait I thought a reece was that kinda bass that sounds hallow and shit. Are you guys saying it's that grinding shit or are you saying it's that super clean sub bass that sounds like an 808 kick?
    Now I'm super confused.

If it is that 808 kick sounding bass I know how to do that to.

2 for tha money: did you try out what I was talking about? Is that what you were talking about? Don't sample unless it's absolutely nessescary. I can make most bass sounds without having to have a sampler. It's not really that hard. After I read the Reason manual and got down what each one of the controls on the synth actually did, then I know what was going on and after a little practice I can make everything from a swarm of insects to a car slamming on it's brakes and screeching to a stop in a tunnel.
  14. cform returning videotapes

cform
    12,674 posts
    Since Dec 25, 2001
  15. SETI

SETI
    7,312 posts
    Since Apr 30, 2001
    funny, but I've found it incredibly easy to make a beautiful noisy reece with the subtractor... I like the "noise" control on the synth, gives you the dirt...

is it me, or is the subtractor probably one of the coolest soft synths to come out yet? -and is it true the 'squash' sound is a subtractor sound? :thumbup:
  16. JSuave @jsuavedubz

JSuave
    401 posts
    Since Feb 11, 2002
    I should clarify what I meant here. What I should have said was that I and many of my friends have gotten the exact same sound with it. sorry m8..... but it definitely is possible that's where they got it.
  17. manchild77

manchild77
    81 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2008
    I didn't believe this thread existed but it's true.
  18. Akkya AIM: aimAkkya

Akkya
    250 posts
    Since Dec 29, 2007
    PM sent
  19. thetaco

thetaco
    5,143 posts
    Since Jun 4, 2007

you DO know that this thread is over 6 years old, right?
  20. Esvee esVee

Esvee
    2,347 posts
    Since Mar 30, 2008
    Classic! :laughing:
  21. crypsis a.k.a. Deadcode

crypsis
    3,416 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2006
    where is "Rambo 3000" now then?
  22. furian /_\

furian
    3,845 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2006
    i've just posted in the thread with noisia asking what's so fuckin special about a reese. i am now going to bed a happy man :teeth:
  23. manchild77

manchild77
    81 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2008
    I think rambo's too busy choking on his words.
  24. crypsis a.k.a. Deadcode

crypsis
    3,416 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2006
    maybe he's busy smoking an established producers cock?
  25. manchild77

manchild77
    81 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2008
    It's funny, I don't think anyone realizes what this thread is. I wish I could relabel it. I guess someone could copy the Noisia posts and start a new thread but it wouldn't be as authentic. I guess I could make another thread telling people to read this one.
  26. Starsmore Git

Starsmore
    1,449 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2007
    :laughing: This is what I call entertainment...
  27. pyre http://www.dnbfactory.com

pyre
    957 posts
    Since Nov 26, 2006
    shit man, the holy grail thread, i thought it was a myth.

....whats a noisia??? :teeth:
  28. Salient land of the dead

Salient
    1,844 posts
    Since May 1, 2005
  29. matman Meh

matman
    137 posts
    Since Jan 14, 2008
    tis truly the holy grail of threads!!!
  30. 20T

20T