Recommend me some moniters 5000

Mar 1, 2012

1. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
    Same thread as you guys always come across, and as annoying as they are, your help would very much be appreciated. I'm STILL owed a present for xmas from my parents, and I asked for some monitors, but never got back to them

I need some help. Say my budget is 250, for a nice pair of monitors, that I can use solely for mixing, and maybe for production on the future. But bare in mind that I will be using them for mixing primarily and that only. So try to steer away from the KRK region. My mate said something like Behringer, but your help would be appreciated as I don't know really where to start!

Go dogs. :slayer:
  2. fonik EDJ

fonik
    5,364 posts
    Since Feb 21, 2008
  3. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
    I'm just worried about rinsing them at high levels and damaging them. I want something I can have pretty loud but know I'm not putting any lasting effects on them. A couple of my friends have them and we had a party, rinsed them and they ended up a bit fucked so idk. :smashed:
  4. ewan_kerr problem child

ewan_kerr
    5,595 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2006
    dont go for actives m8, its just cost me 200 bucks to fix one of mine
  5. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
    For what?
  6. moonswitch Just Eat More

moonswitch
    1,096 posts
    Since Nov 14, 2009
    You can have my old Fostex PM1 for £180 all in.
  7. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
    Add a blowie and I might consider it.
  8. ewan_kerr problem child

ewan_kerr
    5,595 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2006
    tannoy precision 8d
  9. moonswitch Just Eat More

moonswitch
    1,096 posts
    Since Nov 14, 2009
    Which one of use does the blowie?
  10. ocelot

ocelot
    33,897 posts
    Since Dec 27, 2005
    i've got a pair of tapco s8s with a subwoofer (sw-10). dangerous combo that cost around £400 but the monitors themselves were about £200 and they're really good imo. taken a beating & ragging over the past 3 years or so and they're still going strong

passives may be cheaper to repair but you have all the extra gear to go along with them, and it's not like amps never fail or are cheap to repair!
  11. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
    Cheers for the suggestion Ed will check it out!

69?
  12. moonswitch Just Eat More

moonswitch
    1,096 posts
    Since Nov 14, 2009
    Nah fuck that mate. Nose to close to the chocolate starfish.
  13. Mark_84

Mark_84
    1,494 posts
    Since Apr 20, 2010
    i got those!

Can't believe they still sound as good as they do...
  14. moonswitch Just Eat More

moonswitch
    1,096 posts
    Since Nov 14, 2009
    A quality monitor indeed. But I fancy a change, perhaps the JBLs in a few months, twice the price mind.
  15. Incubus

Incubus
    17,737 posts
    Since Oct 9, 2006
  16. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
  17. Lazarus Long Classic Beagle

Lazarus Long
    1,138 posts
    Since Apr 7, 2003
    I really like what EVENT offers, check em out. Whatever is in your price range.
  18. Transient Energy Replicant

Transient Energy
    4,453 posts
    Since May 8, 2004
    Whatever you do don't get the active Alesis m1's. They will fry themselves (mine did 3 times). Dodgy power supplies and tweeter amp boards. Sure the passive ones are fine.

I'd say in general active monitors are better than passive as the amps are specifically matched with the rest of the speaker design. If you manage to blow them chance is you'd blow part of a separates setup anyway.

Yamaha HS50M? http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/yamaha-hs50m-powered-monitor-single--30743

If you doubled your budget you start breaking into other manufacturers lower range and second hand like Adam, Focal, Event etc.

As mentioned earlier nothing wrong with the KRK's either. Nothing spectacular but good for the money!
  19. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
    Cheers for the replies. Got the Adam A7X's in mind now, a huge jump in price but I've seen positive reviews on them. Although I think the Rocket 6's may do me for a beginner pair of monitors..
  20. Transient Energy Replicant

Transient Energy
    4,453 posts
    Since May 8, 2004
    I've got the A8X amazing monitors! Almost got some Events when I was demoing them in Digital Village but the extra bass extension pulled me towards the Adams :teeth:
  21. Dave Roberts Amen Bizness Seen'

Dave Roberts
    5,168 posts
    Since Jan 27, 2008
    They look pretty impressive! I'm just not sure as a first set of monitors I should go straight in with something AS professional. I like the look of the Rocket 6's and all of my friends have KRK's and I've been impressed with their stability and sound. I also need to buy a mixer so cost is definitely in mind.