Recording Drums

Mar 28, 2012

1. Syncretic 12345678

Syncretic
    8 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2010
    Hey everyone,

i am going to record a drummer soon for a dnb track kind of like random movement, mutt, madmen & poets style and i think all of those artist used samples or layering techniques.

i have always been wondering.. somehow those samples must have been created from real sounds right? for example in this Song or this one the drums sond quiet acoustic, yet very processed.

Does anyone have suggestions how to process the drums to make them sound "clean" and "crispy".
    I mean the real drum recordings how we did them in college sounded so dull and muddy.
    I guess i will have to chop, compress, eq and transient shaping alot? Will probably also layer the drums with samples then. :smashed:
  2. Full Clip Audio www.EricRacy.com

Full Clip Audio
    11,747 posts
    Since Jun 5, 2003
    Properly recorded drums shouldn't sound dull or muddy
  3. Syncretic 12345678

Syncretic
    8 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2010
    i thought so. i have honestly no idea about real drums but i guess that there are many different kind of drum kits with different characteristics. so maybe the durm kit was just very bad? and by the way we recorded with a shure mic kit.
  4. Bbell

Bbell
    245 posts
    Since Jan 10, 2010
    It is usually the room that will give you troubles. Not sure where you were recording the drums but an over dampened room will make any instrument sound dull. If that is the case raising the high end with a shelf eq should help.

Unfortunately it is all contextual.
  5. re.mark Brooklyn Hype

re.mark
    1,627 posts
    Since Jan 8, 2008
    make sure the thing is tuned properly.. to many drummers are lax in turning their toms etc up right
    mic placement is also key
  6. Racy Outbound

Racy
    149 posts
    Since Jan 22, 2009
    QFT
  7. Full Clip Audio www.EricRacy.com

Full Clip Audio
    11,747 posts
    Since Jun 5, 2003
    I'm not 100% sure of what you are asking. Are you after a tutorial on how to record drums properly? Recording drums is nothing short of an art and one of the most challenging parts of engineering. Mixing them is of course important but if they are not recorded properly you will generally have to resort to triggering samples which defeats the whole purpose of what you are going for.

More than almost anything else, you can't "fake" a good drum recording. You need a room that sounds good, a great kit that is PROPERLY tuned (an art in itself), a good player, stellar mic placement, good signal chain (mics, pres, converters) and a TON of technique.

Drum recording is one of my favorite things in the world and I would be happy to go into as much detail as you like but if you don't have the resources to do it, it won't help too much.
  8. Syncretic 12345678

Syncretic
    8 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2010
    Thank you for your answers. I am not exactly after a tutorial. I can read books my and my recording engineers handbook to find out how record properly but I just thought there are some specific things to do different when recording for dnb.

I know that a properly recorded drumkit shouldnt sound dull but i find that i would never use the sounds of a properly recorded "pop-song" drumkit in a dnb song right?
    hmm anyway i guess i have asked this too early once again. i will take some time today and build up my knowledge about the general stuff first.

I would love to go into detail. If you want i can upload a bounce of the recorded drums and tell you exactly wich mics we used. By the way we have a studio environment with a seperate recording booth. My acoustic class is starting today so i cant say much about that yet either that i think the room is pretty good and was set up by an acoustician for sure.
  9. SourBattery

SourBattery
    495 posts
    Since Aug 15, 2009
    Do a search for fukt or Anders Meinhardt on youtube and you will change your mind about that.
  10. Syncretic 12345678

Syncretic
    8 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2010
    thanks alot! yeah thats awesome i will probably need to become a drummer myself soon :tea:
  11. Innovine

Innovine
    354 posts
    Since Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, how hard can it be..?