so i've finally locked off my facebook account

Jun 18, 2011

1. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    yes it's bizarre really - telling strangers that you aren't as connected with your real friends on a network site most people use, but posting on a forum.

almost as funny as people talking about how twitter is pointless, on a forum.
  2. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    how about people bitching about people posting on a forum on a forum?
  3. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    i'm not saying posting on a forum is pointless though.

i'm saying it's funny to complain about posting things into the internet on text boxes, while posting things into the internet on text boxes.

hth
  4. Matsuri yracyantyagetmiblad

Matsuri
    929 posts
    Since May 4, 2005
    Yes someone commenting that they want to close their FB account due to privacy is so very bizarre isn't it. :smashed:

Rather than being brainwashed i'm starting to think that some of you cunts are on the Facebook payroll.
  5. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    i didn't realise it was about privacy.

"I hate Facebook for many reasons and contemplated doing this for a while. Now its done I feel very liberated."

you didn't mention privacy.

i'm not brainwashed, i just see it as quite useful.
  6. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    I wish, in fact DOA should start paying me for content, IMO. I'm one of the most productive forum members these days.
  7. jollycakes Reformed Troll

jollycakes
    6,022 posts
    Since Oct 5, 2006
    why are you telling any of us.

and more to the point why should we care. i'm so disinterested i cant even be bothered to finish this sen
  8. Matsuri yracyantyagetmiblad

Matsuri
    929 posts
    Since May 4, 2005
    So you don't care about me. Why not ? I'm a really nice guy. Caring, sharing, good with kids and animals. :laughing:

With your 5000 posts i imagine you've partaken in a shite thread or 2.

But I said for many reasons though then later I stated that privacy was the fundamental issue :smashed:

Shoot first ask questions later
  9. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    you haven't really explained your issue with privacy though have you? just thrown it out there.
  10. a_5mith Official DOA Emberist #4

a_5mith
    8,515 posts
    Since May 23, 2008
    Seems you take peoples post counts into consideration a lot. Why does it matter how many posts he has?
  11. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    holy shit, speaking of, how the fuck did lutha make 32,000 posts??? that's like fucking prolific that is!
  12. Zute Registered Loser

Zute
    14,840 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2003
    i like perving on my fit friends (and fit friends of friends etc) holiday snaps :stalk:
  13. Brendan Brady Islamic terrorist

Brendan Brady
    4,254 posts
    Since Feb 9, 2011
    I've been told Facebook does actually have grouping like that these days, it's just I've never worked out how to use it or where it's hidden - and I don't suppose many people have.

I think the problem is there's so little interesting stuff posted to Facebook anyway. The more you organise/structure who gets what, the less most of us will get - the sooner it'll start to feel deserted. I think it if was easy enough to use, we'd restrict everything to very small circles.

Twitter's actually proven much more useful for me. Pretty much anything interesting going on in the news, on TV, etc. trends. So you'll know when Robocop's on or when there's an interesting/controversial documentary or a new comedy starting. It reconnects you to people and to the media and world in a way I think has been lost quite a bit through the sociopathy of things like Facebook and Youtube.
  14. zendokan

zendokan
    374 posts
    Since Jun 24, 2009
    facebook creates just much to much information & control redundancy for me. And thats by principle as it is a open unlimited network. Of course one can filter and manage everything. But why only few gather newspapers, because it will end in a mess and information has a short half life. Facebook creates an social overload & memory not really needed and more & more difficult to manage. Addiction is of course a good and often used product concept, but the consumer shouldnt die by a overdose of the product. There are reasons why our brain is not growing in size and weight although our eyes gather more and more information by time. Odd concept with no future.

Twitter is much more like google, a social search engine completing google abilities it cannot offer - social news, real-time news, whats going on info. For real knowledge information google succeeds. It works much more like human brain and social brains. Only information judged important by society will be constantly linked to. And if you need something you forgot, you just ask the society. Afaik there is also no tagging in facebook, wheras tweets and links i can an do tag in delicious. My firefox bookmark folder is just a mess like facebook the more i use it.

IMO a social network can only be lasting if it establishs a unique function & keeps improving and altering it. Facebook is basically simplest way to make your webpage and promote it for non webdesign-savvy average joe. But soon everybody can set up a individual wordpress site and connect it via twitter with friends and customers. I dont see where facebook can make here a stand in the long run, they try to delay this development of course as much as possible with more redundancy building small features. But they become to loose their functionality purpose in the hole web. As stated in the matrix, every little program has to fulfill his purpose, and facebook never had a unique one besides a social advertising leverage. But this will soon or later be the core functionality of every good web company having a unique function.

Alot of networks actually try to give out a unique function, often by non-opening their network to everybody and chasing fees to use thier features. Facebook tries to be the network for everything and everybody.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/10-social-networks-they-don-t-want-you-to-join-673805
  15. Matsuri yracyantyagetmiblad

Matsuri
    929 posts
    Since May 4, 2005
    I don't know if your line of questioning is just actually a continued assault however I will answer.

Ok, so one reason (and the main reason) I hate facebook is due to the lack of privacy. I find it particularly abhorrent the fact that Facebook tries to implement things that clearly invade users privacy and rights to their content in a stealthy way, also hoping the users won't notice. I mean this in itself is just plain disgusting and a massive cause for concern.

Secondly I don't particularly want details/pictures of me and my personal life to be posted all over the www. Why should I have to waste time asking people to delete compromising pictures of me, deleting pathetic comments posted on my wall, explaining to someone why i haven't added their friend or a member of my family etc etc ??

I agree that there are big positives about facebook ie if you're single; if you're promoting; for keeping in touch with distant friends and relatives. Because of its popularity it makes all these things a lot easier as you've pretty much got a captive audience. However we are all different and I rate privacy pretty high and for me it outweighs the pro's of FB.

I never claimed my OP was groundbreaking in any way however it's interesting to see the reaction - which wasn't intentional on my part i might add. I see plenty of boring/ insignificant posts on here however that people won't respond to however i guess that when you offend someone's culture (which i obviously have) - you have to be prepared for the slings and arrows :cool:
  16. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    come on now, you haven't offended my "culture" - no need to pretend i'm a die hard facebook fan, and don't pretend i'm attacking you, i'm on it for about 10 minutes daily.

"Secondly I don't particularly want details/pictures of me and my personal life to be posted all over the www. Why should I have to waste time asking people to delete compromising pictures of me, deleting pathetic comments posted on my wall, explaining to someone why i haven't added their friend or a member of my family etc etc ??"

all of this paragraph is because you are friends with fools, i don't have those problems as i'm not friends with fools, common thing to say, but you may as well be saying.

"i don't use a phone as my mates call me up at 2 in the morning and want to hassle me over some rubbish" - it's not the mobile phones fault.

i have my profile all locked down, you can't see anything unless i want you to - it seemed pretty easy to set up - unless i'm missing something you are getting annoyed at facebook as you don't know how to use it.

edit: just read the whole thread - a_5mith jeesus.:smashed:
  17. sortyalifeout Paul Syndicate

sortyalifeout
    1,241 posts
    Since Sep 11, 2007
    i said it in another thread of similar subject matter but it applies here as well

its a shame you deleted your facebook account, because if you posted this on facebook there might have actually been someone in your friends list who gives a fack, instead of a forum of people who could give two shits :twothumbs:

maybe you should move to twitter and tell a whole world of people who could give two shits that youve quit facebook :teeth:
  18. Matsuri yracyantyagetmiblad

Matsuri
    929 posts
    Since May 4, 2005
    Yes my friends are fools and facebook is great :rolleyes2

You seem a bit blinded to be honest; it's like i'm debating the pro's and cons of facebook with Zuckerberg himself
  19. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    you're not debating though are you, you are avoiding debate, i like the persistant attemtpt to derail the conversation by insinuating i'm in the employ of facebook, lol.

read this back:

""Secondly I don't particularly want details/pictures of me and my personal life to be posted all over the www. Why should I have to waste time asking people to delete compromising pictures of me, deleting pathetic comments posted on my wall, explaining to someone why i haven't added their friend or a member of my family etc etc ??""

who posts the pics? your friends do.
    who posts pathetic comments? your friends do
    who whinges about you not friending their family? your friends do.

it's not facebook, it's your friends.

I don't suffer these problems.
  20. Saskias Cunt

Saskias Cunt
    20,454 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2005
    Well done. Moronic shit.

That said, I do, of course, still have my account for picking up the odd bitch when my future wife is on holiday, etc.
  21. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    The major problem is family. My dullhead of a cousin is always making plees for attention and other stupid updates, yet I feel dutybound to keep her as a 'friend' actually I do have the occasional ROFL at how sad she is. :laughing:
  22. 2turntables ♫♪♫♩♬♭♫♪♫♩♬♭♫♪♫♩♬♭

2turntables
    14,922 posts
    Since Dec 6, 2005
    link to profile plz

or at least screenshots of her statii
  23. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    no way, the rules are simple. if i can't fap then no one else gets to :teeth:
  24. sortyalifeout Paul Syndicate

sortyalifeout
    1,241 posts
    Since Sep 11, 2007
    you do know you can hide people from appearin on your news feed so that you cant see their updates…

this + bein a promoter = so useful… because i standardly accept friend requests from people i only vaguely/possibly dont even know so that i can spam their news feeds, but i dont wanna see every tom dick and harry spammin my news feeds :teeth:
  25. Nibbers

Nibbers
    11,801 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2006
    :laughing:
  26. Matsuri yracyantyagetmiblad

Matsuri
    929 posts
    Since May 4, 2005
    Your shoot first ask questions later policy strikes again and your assumptions are again proving you to be a bit of a buffoon to be honest.

My actual 'friends' dont post pathetic comments; maybe the occassional incriminating picture but that's all. I'm sure i'm not the only one who's accepted friend requests from people who aren't just friends. The problem is with FB is that it's not just friends, it's also extended family and also friends of friends and there's a substantial amount of politics in the whole thing. I'll admit that I can and have been quite open and have accepted friend requests from people that in hindsight perhaps I shouldn't have.

A point I made and that you seem to be conveniently ignoring is the fact that FB is sharing all of your information with government agencies and corporates without your consent. Fair play if that's something that you wish to subscribe however it's not for me.

You seem to have bought into the whole thing and that's cool. For me i've deactivated it, posted that i've done it and have obviously upset a little gang of pro-facebookers on here in doing so.

I know enough sound people who wouldn't touch facebook with a barge pole and with time i subscribed to their way of thinking. Are these people 'Moronic' as Saskias Cunt puts it or do they only class as morons when they post about it on DOA?

You ask me to re-read however if you re-read my posts they are actually quite balanced as I comment both on the pro's and con's. However on the other side there are quite aggressive and attempts to be insulting posts by the pro-facebookers and i call them pro-facebookers as their comments are one-sided. There are a few people who've posted with similar opinions to me but they've been either ignored or just plain dismissed. It makes you ask why some people are being so passionate, aggressive and very defensive about facebook. :smashed: And all because I posted a throw away comment about deactivating my facebook on a forum (yes a forum where you can freely discuss, post an opinion, thought or whatever)

Anyway come back in a few years and i'm pretty certain that facebook would have gone the same way as myspace.
  27. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    pro-facebookers, lol. you should jump into the Battlefield vs Call Of Duty debate, it seems about your level.
  28. Matsuri yracyantyagetmiblad

Matsuri
    929 posts
    Since May 4, 2005
    You beat me to it.

Apart from privacy it's family being involved thats a big problem. :burn:
  29. discostu28 Banned by DOA

discostu28
    6,544 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2005
    So don't post your druggie pics. I don't even have my town listed! You can't blame a website for making you submit all kinds of compromising info.

I hate it when people tag me though they should really do something about that.
  30. Saskias Cunt

Saskias Cunt
    20,454 posts
    Since Jun 11, 2005
    I meant Facebook, you silly goose.