The Final IR Thread

Nov 24, 2006

1. Internet Recordings

Internet Recordings
    137 posts
    Since Nov 17, 2006
    It's been fun, but it's come to an end, and here's an explaination as to why it happened. This might hurt a few of you, but fuck it.

This whole thing was about the increase in MP3 "labels" and why they are a detriment to drum & bass.

In the past few years, the ratio of producers to consumers, has shifted massively in favour of producers, everyone is a producer these days or so it seems. Now this isn't a bad thing, but you never get anywhere instantly, and you've either got what it takes, or you haven't.

Here's where the parody started. This wasn't against any specific type of drum & bass, and wasn't especially against this death metal drum & bass, it just so happened that there were a lot of threads bumped at the time, promoting this form. The whole parody was about the massive influx of "net labels" in the past 2 years. Now some of you may argue that digital downloads are the future, and I'm not going to disagree or agree with this, but surely there has to be quality control right?

The fact of the matter is, the music isn't good enough. That is the bottom line. If it is, prove the whole scene wrong, and get your music signed to a proper label, that releases actual products you can hold in your hand and don't have to play on your computer. It is also of no surprise that the rise of net "labels" coincides with the rise of everyone becoming a producer in a very similar time frame.

Again, I have nothing against people who want to write music, and try and get somewhere, and do their own thing, whether it be liquid funk, or death and bass or whatever you want to name it. The fact is, when you get nowhere, it seems another net "label" (and I used the term label lightly, because you are nothing more than website with free downloads) pops up and starts spamming the shit out of forums and getting their crew and mates to bump their threads almost forcing it down peoples throats.

Zardonic, I have nothing against you, and in fact, I haven't even heard your music, but you've dug yourself into many graves on DOA over the last few weeks, with constant whining about avatars, gay people, the whole IR thing getting to you, bumping all the net "labels" threads etc. Lastly Zardonic, if you've got the talent, you will end up on big labels and on vinyl. Work towards that.

Anyway, it's all over now, so flame away... or even discuss it like mature adults? :eek:

This will be the last post from IR, so don't expect any replies seeen. :mad:
  2. Continuity_B we are talking about you Banned by DOA

Continuity_B
    7,249 posts
    Since May 2, 2006
  3. The Outsider

The Outsider
    9,278 posts
    Since Sep 7, 2003
  4. LowRider Registered Loser

LowRider
    10,717 posts
    Since Sep 10, 2001
  5. Tomlinwellsly

Tomlinwellsly
    25,960 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2002
    Good, to be honest you're not funny and you're boring.

:bgrin:

The first part of your post had me interested and I was listening, but as soon as you started going on about "holding something in your hand" the imagery was in my head and I couldn't read the rest of your post without thinking of what you had in your hand.

I actually agree with you and the over confident jerk fest spamming is a bit overwhelming but who are we to tell people what to do?
  6. blumarten

blumarten
    25,225 posts
    Since Aug 3, 2005
    who's being told what to do?

or are you suggesting that any sort of commentary on current affairs is off the menu?
  7. Zardonic Revolution

Zardonic
    7,558 posts
    Since Jan 28, 2006
    fairplay :twothumbs:

anyways, I really hope I can change some peoples minds with the releases on my net label, not that everyone's gonna like it, but at least i've got good words from many DJs about the first release... then again some people would say they "understand" why they're given away for free :smil:

same thing happens to many tracks on wax these days, and maybe it's true, maybe everyone wants to be a producer these days, but (regardless of the fact they're good or not), i don't belong to that loot, i've always been a music composer, and always liked the beat of dnb, just trying to do something a little different about it.

and from this day, i state the following:

I WILL prove the scene wrong, I WILL get my stuff on vinyl, and I AM working towards that, as bold as it looks

if with time we can't get our stuff signed to labels, or we're just producing a lot of tracks (soon enough you will realize who i mean with "we"), we will start our own vinyl, cd, digital, whatever label, and will prove the scene wrong by sharing judgements and making a careful selection of what's the best we have, and it's going to boom. i also state i'm not only speaking by myself.

big fucking ups everyone, since this happened i've realized how many people support me, how many people just heard of me, and how many people hate me, good to see where i'm standing.

thanks for the parody. you will be missed... somehow :mad: :teeth:

P.S. I demand a last reply at least kindly admitting who the fuck you are :bgrin:
  8. Continuity_B we are talking about you Banned by DOA

Continuity_B
    7,249 posts
    Since May 2, 2006
    www.myspace.com/blumarten

HA!
  9. CunningLinguist Unimatrix Zero

CunningLinguist
    28,890 posts
    Since Apr 20, 2001
    [​IMG]
  10. Tomlinwellsly

Tomlinwellsly
    25,960 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2002
    Oh so it was you was it?

Sorry if I'd have known I'd have been less harsh.

:teeth:

I just thought it was a bit of a pointless exercise and quite a preachy post about how things should be done.
  11. blumarten

blumarten
    25,225 posts
    Since Aug 3, 2005
    no-it wasn't me
  12. Tomlinwellsly

Tomlinwellsly
    25,960 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2002
    I know, it was me, LOL.
  13. Zardonic Revolution

Zardonic
    7,558 posts
    Since Jan 28, 2006
    wtf?? :eek:
  14. Tomlinwellsly

Tomlinwellsly
    25,960 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2002
  15. DJ180

DJ180
    342 posts
    Since Oct 27, 2006
    about the quality control on net labels:

i play all vinyl, but i download some just to have to listen to, some is pretty good, but i find the levels are all different, the sound quality in general is not very good, and there is way too much of it for free or very cheap. the few that i think should have vinyl releases should mabey persue that route and try to make a few bucks, no one hates money no matter how much you claim to love what you do and do it only for the love of it.

@ IR, i popped in and out of your previous threads, didn't post, but i was wondering what you were on about. nice work:bgrin:
  16. thefanboy Feedback (Backspacer)

thefanboy
    4,320 posts
    Since Dec 2, 2003
    At Oni, we dont give our shit away free.

Digital sales are doing well, a CD is in the works for release next year, we just got a contract to get our stuff up on iTunes. This was all by no means easy.

I've been working on this shit practically all year and have finally started releasing...this was not an easy task as i'm runing it as a business, all GST registered and all that.

I'd consider myself a net label as i'm running it digitally based...what you said pissed me off because it was too generalising and I personally feel I'm releasing quality tunes.

I see digital as the future, which is why i take this all so seriously. Vinyl sales just dont give back to the artist as much as I feel they should get and I want the artist to see a little bit of something besides release.

Anyways, enough of that, said my bit. Ez.
  17. Ki all purpose razor

Ki
    9,985 posts
    Since Mar 26, 2002
    oh dear, it all seems a bit earnest now.
  18. Zardonic Revolution

Zardonic
    7,558 posts
    Since Jan 28, 2006
    i think that's a relative somehow... really depends on the artist's intentions, of course there are some standards by now and i think each producers tries to give its best...

but think of Paul Blackout. he's raw as hell, and boy believe me the tracks wouldn't do it if they weren't raw jungle. :slayer:
  19. skinnymalinky Tallthinandstinky

skinnymalinky
    4,899 posts
    Since Dec 7, 2005
    I think it's unfair to point the finger at MP3 labels and accuse them of being the reason behind the deluge of sub-standard tunes. Admittedly, there are tunes by these labels that are below par, but some are producing great stuff (which you allude to in your post).

If anyone has the responsibility in dictating how the scene is shaped it's the majors. Many of which have been produncing sub-standard generic tunes for a while.

Yes, it can be argued that there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians, but I really don't see that as a problem. If it's shit then people won't download it, even if it's free.

Fuck. Had a few more points but have to get a flight
  20. DJ180

DJ180
    342 posts
    Since Oct 27, 2006
    nice work on getting on iTunes, that should be the way if you go digital without already being a vinyl label, IMO.

and not to argue you believeing that digital is the future, but as long as there is dj's there will be vinyl and the 1200's, they go hand in hand with one and other. fuck that vinyl sales are down, mabey they will come back up?
  21. saba ¡Retired!

saba
    9,794 posts
    Since Mar 26, 2005
    Fair play!
  22. blumarten

blumarten
    25,225 posts
    Since Aug 3, 2005
    it's really not hard to get on itunes you know
  23. thefanboy Feedback (Backspacer)

thefanboy
    4,320 posts
    Since Dec 2, 2003
    It can be if you're new and not well known in the scene...the key is being prepped like a mofo with shedules and press releases and demos on hand...
  24. DJ180

DJ180
    342 posts
    Since Oct 27, 2006
    isn't there a link direct from iTunes to the music store to submit music?

i know it is not for selling it, but i think i have seen that before?
  25. Zardonic Revolution

Zardonic
    7,558 posts
    Since Jan 28, 2006
    so that means you can put your some free stuff on iTunes if good enough? do they also take tunes for non-commercial purposes?? :eek:
  26. blumarten

blumarten
    25,225 posts
    Since Aug 3, 2005
    interesting point...personally i feel that people are usually their own worst critics, espcially if they haven't been doing it very long. I dread to think what shit i would have pumped out into the world had all this technology been available a decade ago. Believe me, at the time I really thought it was good, but it really wasn't.

It was good to have someone being beyond-critical of our stuff (bukem in this case). Someone who has also been through the process of creating and releasing music, who actively DJd to big crowds and who had standards so high that only 1 out of every 500 tracks they heard was considered good enough to represent the label. Even artists signed exclusively to the label had a large proportion of tracks turned down. You have no idea how many seba, blame, intense, bmt etc..tracks there are in the vaults that were never considered quite good enough for the label. But then the net result is a label that people remember as a quality product.

Having seen the whole process in action, its going to take alot to convince me the same standards are in place these days, especially if no risk is involved (manufacturing and marketing a physical object).

I like and appreciate it when DJs / label owners tell me stuff isn't good enough so they don't want it. That's a GOOD thing. They're doing me a favour and preventing me from putting out stuff that really shouldn't be out there. For me though, it's got to be someone with a history doing that, someone who has real weight behind them, someone i really trust - not just a mate. If i listened to what my mates think it would be fucking disasterous.

Maybe that's just me.

@ thefanboy - i think IR was referring to the 'free' net labels, as he used the phrase "I used the term label lightly, because you are nothing more than website with free downloads"
  27. thefanboy Feedback (Backspacer)

thefanboy
    4,320 posts
    Since Dec 2, 2003
    Yeah, Hard-on-innit pointed that out to me earlier... :smashed: need to read better...

www.onirecords.co.nz BUY STUFF.

http://dubloader.onirecords.co.nz UPLOAD STUFF

;)
  28. Zardonic Revolution

Zardonic
    7,558 posts
    Since Jan 28, 2006
    that's why i wasn't only speaking by myself :wink:

however bro, that's what most people have done, it's the way to push your own thing out there and actually see if it is good enough, then if it is, more people will get their attention on the tracks.

then again, not everything they put out there is good, neither something everyone would like, hence why i get a lot of people saying free net labels like Black Hoe Recordings are doing it more for them than many signed releases.

it's not like a war between free net labels and vinyl labels tho, it's just a way to put it out, and then see what's the people's opinions.

i can bet my balls that at least two thirds of the people posting here have not even tried that label, neither have downloaded the first Zardonic Recordings release :wink: i wish the lurkers who have downloaded them could post here and give their opinions tho!
  29. blumarten

blumarten
    25,225 posts
    Since Aug 3, 2005
    another interesting point. :thumbup:

I remember some economics experiment to do with perceived value, where someone stood in a shopping mall trying to give away $5 notes, and could hardly get anyone to take them.

It may well be the case that there are loads of great free tracks out there, but i suspect there's a really strong argument to suggest that if you remove any semblance of value then people lose interest. Desire is a complex psychological phenomenon, and it's not simply triggered by the 'quality' of the desired object. There are many other factors in play.

I tend to avoid free stuff. yes yes yes...i'm SURE i'm missing loads of good stuff...I'll get over it. There's simply too much free music to get through.

I rely on 'filters' I trust to navigate me to the things of real value.
  30. blumarten

blumarten
    25,225 posts
    Since Aug 3, 2005
    no indeed...
    maybe i wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to an individual being self-critical, i was referring to any collective entity who can't see the wood for the trees and convince themsleves that their stuff is great.

I agree in principal that people 'test' things out pushing their own sound, my point was that with no risk invloved it becomes much easier to drop standards of quality, even if you don't think you are (not 'you' zardonic, anyone), becasue you're not truly competing in the market. The danger is the d&b audience just becomes one big testing ground for producers who are learning how to make good tracks - and that's not really on. The risk is audience fatigue and that harms everyone.

I'm sure you're right about people not trying labels like black hoe. But that's the paradox isn't it. The more technology enables people to project what they're doing into the world, the more the potential public is swamped with stuff and actually withdraws and relies more on 'filters' and 'aggregators' to mediate all the material out there. There is more free music out there than i care to think about, it's simply impossible to chekc it all out. Why should black hoe (or pick the free label of your choice) be particularly interesting to a consumer?