The official Arsenal 2011/12 thread

Jul 10, 2011

1. eugene1277

eugene1277
    860 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2005
    So its about that time we should all start to get a little excited about the coming season...

Obviously too early as of yet to say exactly how well we could or couldn't do as no business has really been done..

Personally think the main priority at the moment has to be to persuade Nasri and ideally Fabregas to stay, though being honest can see one of them going...

The speculation linking us to certain players hasnt really excited me thus far, obviously need to strengthen our defence big time...

Nice to see that potentially could be getting rid of some dead wood in Bendtner and Almunia.. Good riddens i say.

How confident we all feeling for the new season then?
  2. ItHasToBeSaid

ItHasToBeSaid
    6,839 posts
    Since Apr 5, 2008
  3. Fizzik Bonafied Geezer

Fizzik
    3,855 posts
    Since Mar 3, 2011
    We're fucked.
  4. bsjnr1

bsjnr1
    11,668 posts
    Since Jan 3, 2007
    mid-table
  5. eugene1277

eugene1277
    860 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2005
  6. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    Arsenal are so shit that after supporting them for 25 years I have stopped supporting them!!!
    They have become the joke/choke team in English football and after the price of tickets and possibly the shitest stadium atmosphere in the whole of Europe I can no longer tolerate a mid season implosion and no decent signings in area's that need strengthening season after season!
  7. eugene1277

eugene1277
    860 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2005
    I must say that after 20 odd yrs supporting them, this is the season that im kinda feeling a big 'meh' about the whole thing...

I think the thing that really hurts us is not necessarily the fact that we cant afford to buy the bigger names (although the ridiculously over priced ones we cant) its more the fact we wont pay the wages they demand, thats the biggest factor i think...

Obviously it doesnt really help having a stubborn french man as a manger...

But having said that IF, and thatsa big if, we can somehow keep hold of fabs and Nasri for another season and strengthen our defence i think we can do something this season...

The only thing that really fucked us over last year was not having the presence in defence to just steady the ship and be solid... Had Vermaeleen not been injured for the whole season we would not of thrown certain games away, i.e Newcastle, spurs etc...

With a little bit of strength in depth we could do alright. Only time will tell i guess...
  8. Fizzik Bonafied Geezer

Fizzik
    3,855 posts
    Since Mar 3, 2011
    Ive supported Arsenal all my life, my Dad stuck our names down for season tickets 11 years ago, we were on the waiting list for 8 years till we finally got our hands on them. Now, me and my Dad just dont care at all for it now, we used to talk about players/games all the time, now its "ahhh bollocks" everytime we happen to glance at a news story involving Arsenal
  9. Dred Storm PSN: Mattsta-83

Dred Storm
    6,124 posts
    Since Sep 25, 2002
    call yourselves fuckin fans?! i'm a city fan, and you can say what you want, but i've been there thru thick and thin, division 2 football for gods sake! maximum attendances every home game!

you can't even come back with anythin to me, you give up on your team so easily!

i've had to put up with them glory hunting red twats all my life, takin the piss, belittlin me because of the team i support, day in day out, but has it changed me? has it ***** city are my team, and always will be, and i'll defend them against anyone, be it being the richest football team in the world or the poorest, i don't give a shit, im blue no matter what.

you don't know the meaning of the word loyalty!
  10. DJ Void

DJ Void
    7,852 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2001
    I'm enthusiastic and optimistic as ever for next season. I don't see why we shouldn't be close in all competitions as we were last season (which wasn't the disaster a lot of people made it out to be). If we lose Cesc and/or Nasri I'd hope to have immediate replacements coming in and there's still plenty of time for other comings and goings before the season starts and before the transfer windown shuts.

With reference to ticket prices I was annoyed at them going up and don't like the fact we have different classes of games, a real frustration if you are a long term fan with access to tickets but a limited budget. Still I'd rather have a sustainable model and know the team will still exist in years to come that the uncertainty of one rich owner calling the shots or large debts with short term gain.

Regarding atmosphere if you're a fan at a game you can do something about that by making some noise and getting behind the team. There are so many season ticket holders who prefer to sit there and whinge and moan. Maybe that's an Arsenal thing as we've still got the "Highbury Library" reputation. Personally I think it's got a lot more to do with the gentrification of football.
  11. Fizzik Bonafied Geezer

Fizzik
    3,855 posts
    Since Mar 3, 2011
    Who is your manager nowadays?
    This is a serious question by the way.

Your club is a manager eating whore.
  12. Sparks 85

Sparks 85
    892 posts
    Since Aug 11, 2008
    I think you're in the wrong thread - you're talking far too much sense.

If people insist on taking what is reported in the media seriously and let it influence their outlook on Arsenal then more fool them, idiots.

Shockingly, Arsene has said Cesc and Nasri aren't going anywhere. This, despite the media reporting them imminently signing for various clubs over the past two months.

Also Peter Hill Wood stated we are not interested in Downing.

I wish people would wise up.

I wish people would get behind the team and support them instead of doom mongering and whining.

Top marks to the City fan.

If you are gooner and you actually want to hear something truthful about the club every day, instead of whatever the media have fabricated, then sign up to Arseblog.
  13. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    I'm not talking about the media I'm talking about my personal experiences and I actually have grown to hate Arsenal the last few seasons just out of pure frustration and the fact wenger knows where we need to buy but straight up refuses to do anything about it..

Everyone know's we need another striker, another 2 defenders, another left back and a goalkeeper !! Will he buy those players?? Will he fuck

Am I paying £50 to watch a bunch of overpaid ****ers kick a ball about?? Will I fuck !!!
  14. Sparks 85

Sparks 85
    892 posts
    Since Aug 11, 2008
    No-ones asking you to pay £50. You don't have to go to football. Being overpaid is a football wide issue, not just at Arsenal. Its simple, if you dont want to go - don't go. Just don't whine about it.

There's ages until the transfer window shuts, so stop complaining and wait and see what happens.
  15. Sparks 85

Sparks 85
    892 posts
    Since Aug 11, 2008
    For every minute you are angry you lose 60 seconds of happiness,

By Don McMahon

For every minute you are angry you lose 60 seconds of happiness, Ralph Waldo Emerson

The plethora of angry, hyper-sensitive, choleric, distressed, fitful, and fickle fans bombarding cyberspace with their tryst lamentations and predictions of imminent doom and unmitigated disaster for all things Arsenal, eagerly abetted and aided by the xenophobic British media and some ex-AFC player ingrates leaves me cold.

This demeaning spectacle of a very small minority of our supporters fervently tearing into the supposed shortcomings and lacunae of our Club,vilifying anyone who sees things differently, based on what these attack dogs have read, heard, believed since the time of Moses, ¨seen¨ with their own eyes, divined by some ethereal illumination available only to them or nurtured patiently and hatefully over decades of dissatisfaction, leaves me cold as well.

Then there is the deluge of ignoble, yellow tabloid journalism, paparazzi puke, media masochism and blog-sphere bollocks which assault our Arsenal sensibilities with hypothetical, extra-speculative and totally fantastical and usually premature declarations which these misguided souls stringently attempt to pass off as truth. This not only leaves me cold but makes excellent toilet paper as well due to its superior capacity to absorb high percentages of sewage.

You may now be at the stage where you want to know what gets my attention. Well here are some things that pique my curiosity and may even breach the carapace of my thick-skinned psyche, providing me with endless hours of mirth and in some cases, tangible joy:

When we are ¨linked¨ with a big name signing that costs over 20Million Euro, inevitably described as being ¨wanted¨ by Arsene and also invariably described as being our potential ¨saviour¨ from an inglorious EPL nuclear winter or some such thing. Good for a 5 minute bout of ridicule that.

When a former ¨star¨ is quoted, or more often misquoted in the media as criticizing Arsenal and Wenger’s player development philosophy, on field tactics, business or transfer dealings or his choice of a blue tie over a red one. This player may likely be associated with one of the tabloid toilet papers mentioned above or worse still, a media outlet like Sky TV. I obtain at least 2 minutes of mild chuckling and head shaking from these offerings.

Under normal circumstances when EUFA and FIFA make some absorbingly dim-witted and pedantic statement having to do with Football in general or Arsenal in particular. Such was my awe when they voted Wenger manager of the decade and when they named Arsenal as the best example of a financially and administratively well managed club and a model to emulate for everyone else, that I almost spilt my tea and inhaled my crumpet whole. Being accustomed, as I am, to hearing the Arsenal denigrated, degraded, disparaged and dismissed as ¨Barca-lite¨ by those icons of Football sagesse mentioned in the above paragraph, it came as a severe shock to my nervous system and was worthy of at least 30 minutes of boasting, derisory phone calls to my Spuds workmates and other scum.

Stepping up a notch, the gut-wrenching sheer delirium of seeing the Arse give the boot to Barca at the Emirates while the MOTD commentators desperately tried to diminish this accomplishment and the next day the toilet tabloids bombarded us with salient reminders of how ¨lucky¨ we were and what a thrashing we could expect at the Nou Camp, was worth at least 2 hours of furious blogging and surfing other fellow travellers in the Arsenal Universe.

The cherry on the sundae has to be a comment I read on another blog which described all the crazy season carryings-on as a disease called ¨ premature speculation.¨ The author more or less described it as the tendency for fans to assume the worst(or best) about the goings on at the Club and to wet themselves, well before the presentation of or in the total absence of any empirical evidence available or any rational data presented. This was worth a hearty laugh.

My rather lengthy point here is that a morose and pathological obsession with all things gloomy is not the most useful way to spend your Arsenal days….as Ralph Waldo Emerson so eloquently testified
  16. KG

KG
    32,107 posts
    Since Jul 24, 2002
    You've signed Gervinho.

Is he any good, fucked if I know.........
  17. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    He's absolute shit !! Can't score, can't cross, got a few step overs in his locker but other than that a complete waste of £10'000'000 imo
  18. CLAUDE601

CLAUDE601
    18,135 posts
    Since Jun 27, 2006
    Not really didn't look anything special in league 1
  19. SMX

SMX
    3,545 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2006
    I've got a glimmer of hope for this season.. Gervinho seems like the kind of busy striker we've needed for a while,someone who's actually gonna be inside the box getting on the end of crosses,instead of swinging them in.. and even tho people don't seem that pleased about us going after Downing,you can't deny he's got an awesome left foot delivery,maybe that's a sign that Wenger is prepared to have us playing more direct in the future.

I'm sure you've seen more than a few 'lifelong' fans coming out of the woodwork over the past few years.. but i agree that most Man City fans couldn't be labeled as glory hunters.
  20. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    He get's in the box and he's a busy striker?? :ana:
    mate he can't even score 15+ goals in Ligue 1
  21. SMX

SMX
    3,545 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2006
    True.. Henry wasn't prolific in Serie A.. and look how badly he turned out :wink:
  22. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    You're about the 3rd person that's said that but people forget that he'd already set the WC on fire in 98 and won it and was a winger and you could see he was gonna be a world beater!
  23. SMX

SMX
    3,545 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2006
    Wasn't he mostly used as a sub?.. In what was probably the greatest French team ever.

20 goals in 5 seasons with Monaco.

My point is we'll have to wait and see imo.
  24. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    20 goals in 5 season's??? 4 per season's not to bad :teeth:
  25. bsjnr1

bsjnr1
    11,668 posts
    Since Jan 3, 2007
    lol & you're basing this on a couple of youtube videos you've watched? :laughing:

that's cos he's not a striker, his a wide right sided player, i read an interview with one of his coaches a while back & he didnt play a single game through the middle last season, always on the right, how many do you expect him to score from out there?
  26. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    I've seen him play in the CL and World Cup you goon I just watched a few you tube things to back my views up..
    He's shit mate let's face it,. If he was half decent then he would have gone for more than £10 million and more teams would want him?
  27. djsyntax

djsyntax
    859 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2009
    Ain’t going to deny it, I’m one of the more frustrated, moaning fans, but I’ve sort of seen the light and don’t really want to see much change in the way the club is run financially.

Transfer wise we don’t have massive spending power, I know that, but the defenders and players he has brought in recently have been poor apart from the obvious few candidates. Wenger seems to have lost his eye for cheap talent.

I still have big doubts in Wengers tactical knowledge and his lack of dynamics in different games, playing players out of position.
    I still believe someone like Guss or mourinho would do a much better job with the same squad and transfer kitty.
  28. Brecht No longer in limbo

Brecht
    21,683 posts
    Since Mar 5, 2004
    I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. It's shocking.

He definitely didn't set WC 1998 on fire. He was solid enough, but by no means did he "set it on fire".

He was also a winger before he moved to Arsenal.
  29. bsjnr1

bsjnr1
    11,668 posts
    Since Jan 3, 2007
    you're still talking about only a handful of games tho, hardly enough to form a proper opinion

& 10m is fair for someone approaching the last yr of their contract, particulary from the french league, players usually cost less from that league the same as germany like when khedirer (sp?) & ozil cost madrid around 10m each... & remember nasri cost us 12m & look how he turned out!
  30. obscure

obscure
    9,936 posts
    Since Aug 16, 2001
    He only won young player on the tournament and like I said you could see he was gonna be world class!!

And why is it shocking?? I suppose he'd be a world class signing for the Yids :teeth: