The Windows 3GB Switch

Apr 10, 2012

1. P-Dog

P-Dog
    557 posts
    Since Mar 28, 2007
    This has saved my life...

After possibly years of struggling with CPU issues, unstable projects and lost work on what is a relatively good pc, the 3GB switch has literally given my production a new lease of life - I can open many more instances of memory hungry plugins (Guitar rig for example; before doing this, I couldn't open 2 instances without encountering some horrible runtime error within a few minutes) and am enjoy a much more stable DAW environment.

I've never seen it mentioned on here before, and I only found it in some backwater thread on one of the cubase forums, so here it is. I hope it is as helpful to some of you as it has been for me.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240697
  2. Kizza

Kizza
    612 posts
    Since Oct 21, 2010
    Oh fuck man, read the first few sentences and OMFG FIHEWOGFUHWREG!!!!!
    I have 2 gig just sitting here not being used :D

By the way anyone wondering this is for freeing up more memory on 32bit systems which can only process 2 gig of ram or something. BOSS
  3. P-Dog

P-Dog
    557 posts
    Since Mar 28, 2007
    but tbh why wouldn't microsoft set this as standard:mad:??
  4. joemaki

joemaki
    1,234 posts
    Since May 15, 2010
    they do if you use 64 bit os :smashed: plus most if not all daws now have a 64bit version any way
  5. P-Dog

P-Dog
    557 posts
    Since Mar 28, 2007
    But there are still a significant number of 32bit users, and that's besides the point - my gripe is why wouldn't microsoft set using all available hardware efficiently as standard!
  6. Kizza

Kizza
    612 posts
    Since Oct 21, 2010
    It's not stable!!!

They can't do it as standard because it's not stable. When your talking billions of customers, making something like this standard would fuck millions.

Stuff is backwards compatible, so u can use most 32bit stuff on 64bit systems. (cracked software being the obvious exception.. but even still)

You just cant use 64bit stuff on 32bit systems because many things weren't designed for this purpose and that means cronic buggulitis.

Im taking my chances because I have the know-how to follow the instructions where it tells how how to undo it all (oh yeah and basically explains all of what ive said) it if it fucks up and im generally lucky with this suff

But if your a layman and don't know squat, don't do this.

also i found something else to do which got my using all of my 4g power, there are no undo instructions though so be careful.

command promt
    BCDEDIT.EXE /Set IncreaseUserVa "value" (ie;4000=4gb ram)
    restart computer
  7. wood ammo

wood ammo
    2,548 posts
    Since Jul 10, 2006
    There are some of the older daws like logic on pc that aren't built for utilizing more than 1gb ram.
    Just mentioning it for those that might think 3gb switch would help.
  8. joemaki

joemaki
    1,234 posts
    Since May 15, 2010
  9. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    i probably am missing something but my Win runs at 3GB on installation without further adjustments ?!
  10. joemaki

joemaki
    1,234 posts
    Since May 15, 2010
    mine runs all my 4 gig in one
  11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum
    8,755 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2003
    You can use 3GB+ RAM in total (4GB total adressable, minus video memory and other stuff), but any single process will only be able to use up to 2GB without enabling this option.

Some DAWs may be able to get around this by running each VST as a separate process, such as Reaper running in bridging mode.
  12. FlatFaced

FlatFaced
    832 posts
    Since Jan 17, 2011
    thanks for the explanation - i was wondering why ableton is showing "out of memory" when my overall used ram is ~2.3GB

any side effects with this feature ?...or noticed incompatibility ?..am wondering if am gonna try it,,,
  13. joemaki

joemaki
    1,234 posts
    Since May 15, 2010
    na not really i also bought jbridge to use with studio one and ableton live aswell great idea really reccomend it. it takes overall strain off you daw and just gives an added stability to your projects aswell as your cpu.
  14. P-Dog

P-Dog
    557 posts
    Since Mar 28, 2007
    i've had it on for 2 weeks, not instability/side effects
  15. Andydextruss Something

Andydextruss
    12,156 posts
    Since Feb 17, 2004
    BSOD within 5 minutes of booting up lol. Think I'll leave that alone for now.