uk dogs... is it true you never got saturday night live?

Jan 18, 2004

1. Maat Bindlestiff

Maat
    30,461 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2003
    im under the impression that the show saturday night live never made it over the pond. im totally shocked about this since you get our garbage shows like cops and springer and shit like that.

the shows not nearly as funny as it used ot be, but its always been known for some really good sketch commedy. actors like adam sandler, chris farley, john belishi, chris rock, and many more got their start there (and at second city in chicago).

anyone over there happen to see any of these, or did it really never make it over there? if so, im kind of shocked:eek:
  2. KD

KD
    6,413 posts
    Since Feb 8, 2001
    Conan or STFU
  3. Maat Bindlestiff

Maat
    30,461 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2003
    we're not discussing weeknight commedy/interview shows here. conan is the don in that genre, but this is different:teeth:
  4. Linus

Linus
    3,661 posts
    Since Mar 12, 2002
    yes its true we never had saturday night live
  5. reTRenD ^_^

reTRenD
    23,001 posts
    Since Jan 23, 2002
    old series of it with bill murray are on satellite. but its a bit hit n miss, sometimes i just dont find it funny at all.
  6. Goldenchild

Goldenchild
    3,611 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2002
    good ol SNL; that is it was back in the day. It's pretty shit these days though.

I watch Mad TV instead these days since it comes on a half/hour earlier then SNL, but I don't mind at all.:bgrin:

MAD TV has been gettin pretty good these dayz:spliff:
  7. Dr_Klaw The Anti-Bling

Dr_Klaw
    6,262 posts
    Since Mar 4, 2003
    S.N.L. is great. classic comedy. :slayer:

David Letterman rocks as well.
  8. Maat Bindlestiff

Maat
    30,461 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2003
    thats the thing with snl... its been around so long and had so many different casts that you arent assured to find it funny through reruns. some seasons are absolutely hilarious and others are really annoying... but pretty much any funny commedic actor/actress comming out of the US was part of its cast at some point
  9. MissChievous (>'.')> <('.'<)

MissChievous
    12,579 posts
    Since Oct 12, 2001
    SNL is so crappy, every time I watch it (which isn't all that much) I wonder who actually thinks that kind of garbage is funny. Especially when people like Justin Timberlake are guests and try to act funny - it's really pathetic. Mad TV is funny sometimes, but I find the humour getting kind of stale. I'm actually not really a fan of the all-American type of humor at all, dunno, maybe I'm just jaded. Conan is funny some nights, but he's always got the same old shtick too....

We need something new!
  10. Maat Bindlestiff

Maat
    30,461 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2003
    again... not really talking about the current shows.. the older casts were way funnier... though the episode a couple years back with christopher walkin as the guese might be one of the funniest things ive ever seen on tv. :centaur::laughing: :cry: :laughing:
  11. Dr_Klaw The Anti-Bling

Dr_Klaw
    6,262 posts
    Since Mar 4, 2003
  12. Progress

Progress
    8,548 posts
    Since Sep 24, 2002
    the best was when they were showing all the re-runs on comedy central, now it seems like they replaced it with re-runs of mad tv which is :thumbdown
  13. Maat Bindlestiff

Maat
    30,461 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2003
    i dont like mad tv in the least... theres some other cable channel that now shows the snl reruns but i cant recall whitch at the moment
  14. Goldenchild

Goldenchild
    3,611 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2002
    Maat

E!!! :wink:

I think SNL was prime in it's Farley,Sandler,Hartman,Rock, Seasons:twothumbs:
  15. Maat Bindlestiff

Maat
    30,461 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2003
    thats the one:smil:
  16. Goldenchild

Goldenchild
    3,611 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2002
    Ey Maat are you watchin the Nick and Nicole Simpson guest on SNL right now?
  17. KD

KD
    6,413 posts
    Since Feb 8, 2001
    I don't think I've ever seen a funny SNL.
  18. decoy

decoy
    29,255 posts
    Since Jun 16, 2001
    never got shown in normal british tv....but its on cable now and then...all the ones iv seen wernt very funny at all though.
  19. Janus \m/

Janus
    1,000 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2002
    Tonight's episode was Jizzum...

I usually only watch for weekend update, cuz that's the best part.... but tonight was ass. The cast they have right now is mediocre...

But I'd totally Hit Maya Rudolph

:slayer:
  20. pollen

pollen
    6,061 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2001
    :love:
  21. Mr. Frodo

Mr. Frodo
    23,857 posts
    Since May 27, 2003
    We even had SNL here in Iceland! :slayer:

Just for about a year or so, but still.. :bgrin:

I downloaded the best of Farley, Sandler and Myers a few weeks ago, been watching all that shit like a mad man.. :teeth:
  22. TIMLEDLEY .

TIMLEDLEY
    26,398 posts
    Since Nov 9, 2001
    No but we get The Worlds Wildest Police videos with Sherrif John P Burnell :laughing: :slayer: :laughing: :slayer: .

As an English person it is fucking hilarious watching him pull up in his car with dick head mates and chat shite:laughing: :bgrin:

Haste made a thread with some classic quotes from him, I'll try and find it. :thumbup:
  23. TIMLEDLEY .

TIMLEDLEY
    26,398 posts
    Since Nov 9, 2001
  24. Maat Bindlestiff

Maat
    30,461 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2003
    :laughing: funny thing is, ive never even heard of that show... i have a hazy recollection of it having a pilot on network, failing and moving to cable:laughing:
  25. TIMLEDLEY .

TIMLEDLEY
    26,398 posts
    Since Nov 9, 2001
  26. Haste

Haste
    16,670 posts
    Since Jul 20, 2001
    :bgrin: :slayer: :laughing: :cool: :pimp:

world's wildest police videos is the baddest program on tv

but as far as SNL goes i've seen loads of them and i've only ever seen a couple of funny sketches. pretty poor attempt at comedy if you ask me, but i would say that as the UK runs the comedy, our shows are much better :wink:
  27. Gormo Mildly Cretinous

Gormo
    24,251 posts
    Since Jun 19, 2003
    I watched this last night, it would seem that according to this man cars have only 2 speeds 100mph and stop.

in the british equivalents the message behind a show like that is "dont bother we will most probably catch you". In that show the message is "DONT DO IT EVAR US POLICE ARE INFALLABLE WE WILL CATCH YOU"

And how come whenever he is doing his speil some actor is getting done over in the background.

"now look at this stoopid criminal"
  28. LowBrow How Now Brow Cow

LowBrow
    15,697 posts
    Since Jul 8, 2002
    they show old saturday nigfht lives on the paramount comedy channel a lot. i watched it a few times but was never that into it. a few bits were funny, but most of it wasnt... :grumble:
  29. oodis JNR_BRYSON-URIZEN

oodis
    2,463 posts
    Since Dec 9, 2001
    it's been on every night for the past few months on paramount2. i was expecting it to be really funny but i think it's absolute shite. most of the sketches are just not funny at all. i love sienfeld and i watch it every night but even when jerry or elaine is on sat night live they are shite.
  30. LowBrow How Now Brow Cow

LowBrow
    15,697 posts
    Since Jul 8, 2002
    :laughing:

yeh seinfeld is the business. :slayer: