Vengence samples taking the piss...

Feb 27, 2012

1. Audiologist

Audiologist
    1,150 posts
    Since Aug 5, 2006
    [​IMG]

Seen this on another forum... I'd heard they sampled straight from tracks but, you'd think you'd at least buy the track your sampling... ruthless!

sorry if report, havn't searched
  2. Philanthropy

Philanthropy
    172 posts
    Since Apr 4, 2011
    not heard any of the tunes in that list so i can't say shit, but sure that must be a fake?
  3. Ibunshi Mpc Pilot

Ibunshi
    8,399 posts
    Since Jun 8, 2007
    i got a few vengeance samples, got them from here i think actually.. And i have seen those tags too.. Not surprised, they have probably just selected a hit, cropped it and then saved, not realising the tags were still there :laughing:

Very easy way to make a sample cd i guess.
  4. joemaki

joemaki
    1,234 posts
    Since May 15, 2010
    why do you think every single vengence pack sounds the fucking same
  5. techskunk Banned by DOA

techskunk
    2,715 posts
    Since May 5, 2011
    lol
  6. mr meh

mr meh
    565 posts
    Since Jan 10, 2011
    good job most people dont pay for their vengeance sample packs then lol
  7. joemaki

joemaki
    1,234 posts
    Since May 15, 2010
    theres a vengence club essentials 4 coming out soon as well that's going to be a laugh especially because there's a dubstep section in it as-well now
  8. SquirrelTamer

SquirrelTamer
    2,998 posts
    Since Nov 11, 2003
    Everyone pirates the sample cd's anyway. But yes it's been on every other forum at least 10 times, including here and including the Vengeance forum where there's a decent explanation of these tags for people who do search.
  9. Tits McGee

Tits McGee
    439 posts
    Since Jan 4, 2012
    was gonna call bulshit on this because I havn't seen any wav files contain metadata before (never looked for it TBH) but then I have the original vengence CD so I bothered to check, and its all there.

:smashed::smashed::smashed:
  10. Synergist discodiscodiscodiscodisco

Synergist
    1,576 posts
    Since Jan 18, 2009
    Did nobody tell you about RIFF-WAV?
  11. Haskins

Haskins
    58 posts
    Since Feb 27, 2012
    You can find leftover metadata in some Vengeance packs every now and then. See posts in other forums for example:

Also on a side note, their fame is quite weird considering they sound like they do. I mean, I could prolly get better quality samples if i were to record drums from a damaged 8 betamax cassette with a cheap mic in a subway station.
  12. thesamuel

thesamuel
    250 posts
    Since May 11, 2011
    thats why i buy the bhk sample pack. :teeth:
  13. jayjaybee

jayjaybee
    378 posts
    Since Jun 27, 2004
    doood.

some of the vengeance samples are mp3's converted back into wavs. they probably download the tunes from youtube to sample, chop out the drums then convert to wav.

some proppa gems in there though, just gotta sift through the crap.
  14. Deevision aka BEEPO

Deevision
    532 posts
    Since Feb 9, 2007
    Oh yeah i got a snar e from Britney Spears :twothumbs:
  15. polymass

polymass
    685 posts
    Since Jan 15, 2011
    Working on a sample pack 100% self recorded and synthesized. Shameless self plug - But I can tell you it's pretty unique ;)

The trick for me was to treat the samples as if they were in a mix already.

Vengeance samples are, let's face it, pretty nice. Mostly because of all the processing that was already in place from the song they ripped it off.

I emulated this, but without the dodgy cuts. No unwanted hi hats and crashes. No cowbells in the background ;)
  16. BHK

BHK
    366 posts
    Since Apr 10, 2008
    Such practices are all over the place in the sample biz, if you bought these packs and feel cheated i would send them a mail and let them know about. Who knows, maybe they get a license from these artists and sample pack company's. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i never heard about any copyright issue in the past because of this.

Look, in reality when you purchase a sample pack, you pay for the work the producer had to make these samples, and for nothing else. See it as a service. All other is more than less a big bubble.

So be it all is made from scratch or searching for usable bits in any allowed tunes, its still work you don't have anymore and it helps you to focus more on the musical part of producing.
  17. dontworry

dontworry
    416 posts
    Since Nov 19, 2010
    false. we here at the grid need to spend more time on the secret vst plugins skrillex uses to get his bass sounds :twothumbs:
  18. Tits McGee

Tits McGee
    439 posts
    Since Jan 4, 2012
    no, no one ever did. I hold you responsible. why didn't you tell me before you bastard!
  19. djlouisb

djlouisb
    69 posts
    Since May 21, 2009
    Haha! :smile:

God forbid anyone should forget about what other producers techniques are and what samples they use! This could result in people actually creating something with character and personality... then the scene is doomed!
  20. luthatron \o/ Lord Wavey \o/

luthatron
    42,245 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    i don't really know how people can use vengeance snares, they sound like whitenoise converted to 64kbs mp3 with a limiter and exciter over them.
  21. Flipvert

Flipvert
    3,536 posts
    Since Aug 23, 2003

see here in quick easy steps due to the rather funny Rankin

22. kajiotaku BXBL

kajiotaku
    810 posts
    Since Dec 22, 2008
    Wouldn't setting unison to ten voices but not turning on detuning or panning just be like having it render ten voices, stack them, and in the end do nothing but make it louder? :smashed:

I keep seeing this done and I think that maybe I'm wrong but holy shit it sounds so useless when you can just, I don't know, turn up the damn volume knob and save your CPU.
  23. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory
    477 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2009
    No, it's not the same as just turning up the volume. The timbre of the sound changes and it does get a bit fatter even without the detune. In fact, I find that if you turn the unison up to about ten voices and detune them, that's when the sound becomes unusable. It just becomes a big phasing saw pad thing...

As for the Vengeance samples, I still use them and they do sound good, especially the kicks. I agree that the snares can some times be a bit shit, but with a bit of patience you can often find a few that when layered together sound good.

I had heard stories about them being lifted from records but never thought it so blatant as this. He must have licenses from the artists though. His older sample packs have been around so long now that he would have been sued for copyright infringement by now, if he didn't have the licenses for them.
  24. TheRoary

TheRoary
    115 posts
    Since Jan 4, 2012
    :laughing:

..It's funny because it's true.
  25. Ibunshi Mpc Pilot

Ibunshi
    8,399 posts
    Since Jun 8, 2007
    unison can mean more than one thing.. maybe slightly detuned voices, maybe the waveform cycles doesnt start at the same time, maybe the stacking of different waveforms, panning etc etc
  26. Synergist discodiscodiscodiscodisco

Synergist
    1,576 posts
    Since Jan 18, 2009

If he took the trouble to licence each sample (which would be prohibitively expensive and time-consuming), he would take the time to write "sample used under licence from <xyz label>" for each one. No licensing information? No licenses. He's just hoping nobody notices.
  27. Synergist discodiscodiscodiscodisco

Synergist
    1,576 posts
    Since Jan 18, 2009
    Ewun makes all the nice Skrillex bass sounds.
  28. Eli Rorschach

Eli Rorschach
    451 posts
    Since Jun 18, 2011
    I know the guy who does the Vengeance packs - excellent producer and one of the only people I'd hand money over to for samples.

I think anyone in dance music who'd dream of suing over a snare drum or hihat would be committing a space/time imploding act of hypocrisy. Any drum he's sampled has been lifted from somewhere else anyway - a label can't sue for theft of previously stolen and undeclared items. All producers and labels live in this glass house of uncleared samples that so far exceeds anything sample pack manufacturers could pull off.
  29. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory
    477 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2009
    That would be the secret Virus OS and the secret sample packs that aren't sold to the public and make up 80%-90% of Skrillex's tracks? :teeth:
  30. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory
    477 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2009
    I've actually bought the Vengeance packs myself (I know a lot of people just pirate them) and I really like them and use them for layering over other samples such as the BHK packs.

I remember when I first bought them I actually read the license agreement and the one thing that stands out in my memory is that they can't be used for library music. Now does that mean "sample library" or library music for T.V/film? Because, sync licenses are the most lucrative means of earning off of a track nowadays so, not allowing library music in that sense is a bit of a kick in the nuts!