Absolutely at wits end with the local scene atm

Music Discussion | Mar 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM

1. Near Edge

Near Edge

Near Edge

94 posts
    Since Sep 29, 2016
    So i'm based in perth, Australia whichhas a pretty healthy dnb scene with normally 1-2 events each week. Yet the same few DJs seem to dominate the scene it seems next to impossible to get a chance to spin and if you do its only a few gigs over a year. That is unless you are within the "in" crew. I have been spinning for close to 12 years now and I am this close to giving it up because of the frustration I am feeling of not getting any gigs. I work it and turn up to gigs to support them and meet with promoters who run the nights to try and get a chance to be put on but it just isnt happening. Just wondering if its like this in other parts of the world especially the UK. Is it so "close knit" that barely anyone gets to spin than a select few? Or is it more open?
  2. Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
    Thats just how it is in small cities bro, unless you smoke meth with the "big boys" then you ain't down to spin dat shit. I am in the same city as you bro so I kno...

P.S. I got some great advice for you....

Start producing

/thread
  3. Kabal, Mister Shifter, nise1 and 7 others like this.

Claaart Kent Incognito

Claaart Kent

Claaart Kent Incognito

795 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2009
    Speaking from previous experience as a promoter in a big city with a small scene, the problem is usually that there are more DJs than there are opportunities to play. If you have a crew, then everybody from your crew has to get their turn to play at each party before you even think about inviting outsiders in.

A constructive suggestion would be to organise your own parties, and invite some of the bigger locals names to play and thus ingratiate yourself further with the local scene.
    Kabal, Mister Shifter, nise1 and 7 others like this.
  4. Visceral likes this.

Near Edge

Near Edge

Near Edge

94 posts
    Since Sep 29, 2016
    Yep that's what I've started doing
    Visceral likes this.
  5. Near Edge

Near Edge

Near Edge

94 posts
    Since Sep 29, 2016
    Yeah starting your own night aint too cheap(you are basically risking bankruptcy) because of the large fees bars and clubs charge.
  6. Rogue Trooper and Near Edge like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
    Yeah but then you put yourself under a "social spotlight" so to speak and if you don't know how to play things within "primate dynamics" things can go pear shaped and leave you worse off, especially for us introverts.

There wre a two guys I was friends with back in day who lived in perth, they rarely ever got to play out... maybe on the odd occasion. They started making tunes and got good enough to have a release. They even had an article in knowledge mag. Needless to say that after their release they were supporting for big nights like "calyx" etc. at the former "heat" club where Traffik was. Here's their track:

Descent - Translation
    Rogue Trooper and Near Edge like this.
  7. BleakRef, Salem.77 and Climbs like this.

BURTONS SALE

BURTONS SALE

BURTONS SALE

13,530 posts
    Since Aug 19, 2005
    Too many Chefs, not enough kitchen.

Just find out where they're playing out and offer to put on a night for 20% less.
    BleakRef, Salem.77 and Climbs like this.
  8. Near Edge

Near Edge

Near Edge

94 posts
    Since Sep 29, 2016
    Not viable. As in its all how much money you can make the bar/club
  9. nise1, Rogue Trooper, parsley and 2 others like this.

Claaart Kent Incognito

Claaart Kent

Claaart Kent Incognito

795 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2009
    But this is my point. Me and my promoter partner openly admit we're just socially awkward music lovers who wanted to play out regularly. We started our own parties and the networking was something that just happened as a secondary effect. It is way easier to connect with peers if you're actively doing something yourself already, rather than having to hobnob with the right people or waiting for people to offer you things.
    nise1, Rogue Trooper, parsley and 2 others like this.
  10. Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
    Did you pull any birds while your were at it? Or did they pull you? :badteeth:

[​IMG]
  11. darf-fader 2001 or STFU

darf-fader

darf-fader 2001 or STFU

8,287 posts
    Since Dec 11, 2001
    Fuck everybody set some decks up in your kitchen, blaze a zoot, be the king of your own scene.
  12. phreeky likes this.

Climbs

Climbs

Climbs

384 posts
    Since Mar 5, 2002

yah that's going on my list of ways to get shot lol
    phreeky likes this.
  13. Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
  14. BURTONS SALE

BURTONS SALE

BURTONS SALE

13,530 posts
    Since Aug 19, 2005
    Shot? For a drum and bad night? Honestly. If they're like Mista and the rest of them fucking nerds they'll be all talk and about as tough as wet tissue paper.
  15. Claude601

Claude601

Claude601

19,467 posts
    Since Jun 27, 2006
  16. Visceral, nise1, MrBaldwig and 2 others like this.

Claaart Kent Incognito

Claaart Kent

Claaart Kent Incognito

795 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2009
    Haha while being promoters made us about 10x more sexy, it didn't cure social awkwardness. It just meant we could stand around at parties not talking to anyone with slightly more purpose than we did before.
    Visceral, nise1, MrBaldwig and 2 others like this.
  17. Salem.77 likes this.

Sidius AKA Tryptich

Sidius

Sidius AKA Tryptich

13,811 posts
    Since Jun 1, 2003
    If you're so fed up that you're ready to pack it in then tbh, I'd probably just pack it in!

If you're into other music then start spinning other stuff and see if you can get in with a different scene.

DNB has always been super cliquey and takes itself way too seriously. Also just generally inlife, the more you try and make something happen, the further away it will slip. Invest your energy elsewhere and watch what happens.
    Salem.77 likes this.
  18. Visceral, Blank, Near Edge and 3 others like this.

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,463 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Just smoke the meth with them it isn't all bad.
    Visceral, Blank, Near Edge and 3 others like this.
  19. Transient Energy likes this.

Rogue Trooper Giant Smurf

Rogue Trooper

Rogue Trooper Giant Smurf

5,319 posts
    Since Jan 22, 2004
    Hire a hitman from the dark web, waste them all, and take over their spot. Make it look like an accident- accidentally strangled themselves with piano wire, accidentally cut their own throat, accidentally fell on an icepick to the spinal cord. Standard:twothumbs:
    Transient Energy likes this.
  20. Radium_USA

Radium_USA

Radium_USA

11 posts
    Since Saturday
    Podcast... It's Free promotion...And it shows your abilities to DJ and pick music
  21. HouseAddict likes this.

mehta

mehta

mehta

3,287 posts
    Since Sep 20, 2007
    You definitely need to have some sort of crew doing shows locally if you want to play a lot as just another local DJ. People like to book their friends, or someone who has some draw.

Being a promoter can be fun. It's a lot of work without much reward and many possible costs, and also booking yourself all the time is kind of lame so it's better if there is a crew of promoters and djs who play eachother's events.

It sucks but unfortunately that's the way it is in many places. And really having a few releases on small labels won't get you very far either.
    HouseAddict likes this.
  22. HouseAddict

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

3,647 posts
    Since May 26, 2004
    What Mehta said sounds about right. promoters will book someone who has draw and Also as you said there are costs involved so what better way to bring that down than have mates play. It makes sense and is why it isn't always about the guy or girl who plays best, it's who you know.
    For me personally I love spinning but I made a decision a while back that I couldn't stand the idea of actually regularly djing out. Being a working DJ sounds awful, much rather play house parties
  23. Kaex

Kaex

Kaex

247 posts
    Since Oct 27, 2014
    Your problem lies in wanting to spin Drum and Bass in Australia. Brisbane Head Here.

I was very into the local scene 2007 - 2012 and saw the exact same thing. Small clique calling the shots and pretty much only spinning metalheadz in dank venues with lofty covercharges.

I never wanted to spin myself but i was almost willing to go into personal debt to fund and put on a Autonomic night at a swank venue and get that sound out to new people. (i can still dream)

But yeah the scene has changed, people have changed, socially we have fundamentally changed with peak smartphone and ubiquitous media consumption. Still wrapping my head around it all while i listen to Alia Fresco at a Gold Coast beach with a bottle of red....
  24. mehta, Sidius, 2turntables and 4 others like this.

Robbbo Expansion always, in all ways

Robbbo

Robbbo Expansion always, in all ways

570 posts
    Since Aug 20, 2016
    You think you've got it bad! I'm lucky if i can play a mix on the stereo once or twice a year at my weekly boardgames night. The guy whose house we play at (lets call him "the promoter") almost always chooses the music (which is fair enough) and he's not big on dnb so it's hard for me to get a "set", as it were.
    mehta, Sidius, 2turntables and 4 others like this.
  25. Worm Arsenal Intimidating Female Junglist

Worm Arsenal

Worm Arsenal Intimidating Female Junglist

7,336 posts
    Since May 30, 2009
    Check yo PM's and don't listen to @Visceral - the man's a wart.
  26. Killerindustries :(

Killerindustries

Killerindustries :(

427 posts
    Since Feb 7, 2014
    I refused to suck promoters balls, therefore, even with producing, I never got any shows. Without naming any names if you've heard stories about certain players in the Perth scene, they're probably true. I like the decks in the kitchen idea.
  27. Transient Energy Paranoid Android

Transient Energy

Transient Energy Paranoid Android

7,804 posts
    Since May 8, 2004
    For small thing the financial risk shouldn't be that high. If you think the 'scene' is that bad your best off starting something new yourself and running it how you want. Unless you can bring a decent sized crowd it's about who you know. It's all a big popularity contest.
  28. Alfred Henchcock (.)(.)

Alfred Henchcock

Alfred Henchcock (.)(.)

1,275 posts
    Since Oct 14, 2009
    There's a scene, anywhere? Learn something new every day.
Music Discussion