Am I crazy?? Going oldskool...

Production | Oct 13, 2016

1. Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

Roachie

Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

6,097 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2008
    Ez dogs,

So I've been making tunes for about 10 years now. Got into it through acid pro/reason then onto ableton.

I've always been fascinated by 90s dnb/jungle. How the tunes were made on hardware. I was a bit too young for this era.

So, after being uninspired over the past year or so, I've decided to save a bit of cash and try to replicate a 90's type set up. Maybe the change will do me good! Added bonus that I can still import shiz into ableton etc if needs be (though I'm really planning not to except to record the master)

I'm thinking...

Atari ST
    Cubase
    Control Keyboard
    Mackie 1604
    Emu e6400 (bought one 2 years ago, plugged it in twice)
    Cheap quadrverbs/fx units
    Guitar pedals for send fx (have fuck loads)
    1210s
    Maybe a finalizer or sutin?

Am I mental? probably... any tips from the older dogs?
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. Sal_Paradise, zensound, MiL0 and 4 others like this.

R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

742 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    Sounds like good fun. This guy's youtube channel is like a step back in time. Might give you some further inspiration. ..

jv1080 & wavestation PADS! (not slap bass and...
    Sal_Paradise, zensound, MiL0 and 4 others like this.
  3. DJ_Klame and snakepiece like this.

Roachie

6,097 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2008
    Wicked will check that. In no means trying to make the next Timeless... just want to try something different. Like doing up a classic car or summin, but with bass :teeth:
    DJ_Klame and snakepiece like this.
  4. djeast likes this.

luthatron \o/

luthatron

luthatron \o/

53,685 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    avoid the atari just use your computer. I had one and it's a real pain in the arse having to boot off a floppy and save to floppy etc.

I got one when i couldn't afford a PC and it's pretty painful going.

edit: rest sounds good.
    djeast likes this.
  5. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,645 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    try a tracker
  6. Roachie likes this.

Claude601

Claude601

Claude601

19,438 posts
    Since Jun 27, 2006
    Sounds like a massive pain in the ass
    Roachie likes this.
  7. Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

Roachie

6,097 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2008
    Played about with a pro tracker emulator for the lols. Good fun, well limited though.

thinking I should put that Emu to use really.
  8. Jimmy Crack, Forthryte and Roachie like this.

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,645 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    you wanted 90s style. thats limited
    Jimmy Crack, Forthryte and Roachie like this.
  9. Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

Roachie

6,097 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2008
    yeah, but i also want a desk/outboard/rom players. I get what your saying, but i'm not going down that route. Way too matrix :teeth:
  10. Forthryte and Roachie like this.

R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

742 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    If you are keen on going the Atari route it might be worth seeing if you can get your hands on an emulator. (I don't know if there are any usable ones out there, it's just an idea.) Then if it works for you go splash out on the hardware.
    Forthryte and Roachie like this.
  11. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,645 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    cool well heres a nice tidbit for you: asrx-pro. you can map sample start offset to a midi controller and then you wont need to mess around with chopping samples, and it has the quintessential ensoniq dp/2 built in
  12. Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

Roachie

6,097 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2008
    Ah cool, will check!
  13. Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

Roachie

6,097 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2008
    Not a bad idea... I'm guessing it's a super simple piece of software. Heard that the atari is a beast for midi timing too? (although, may just be rose tinted myth?)

Just dying to get out of ableton, try something new.
  14. HouseAddict, R0llin and Roachie like this.

Stevie Boy Amongst the pigeons

Stevie Boy

2,291 posts
    Since Jan 1, 2011
    Matey used to post on here a fair bit, knew his old school & his party rings!

I'm usually a bit meh about new old school as well but he has some really authentic sounding bits on his YouTube.
    HouseAddict, R0llin and Roachie like this.
  15. luthatron likes this.

Stevie Boy

2,291 posts
    Since Jan 1, 2011

I considered using mine again as I found my old Atari in my parents attic but remembered it being a pain even with the 30mb! Hard drive I have - hard to imagine used to muck about with this quite happyily now I'm used to the ease of a modern computer.

That's not to mention finding all the peripherals to get it up and keep it running, sacked off the idea in the end.
    luthatron likes this.
  16. 2000&X

2000&X

2000&X

194 posts
    Since Oct 29, 2014
    Bought a quadraverb last year and love it, it's a dose trying not to clip the input and getting a good output but it sounds way better than any vsts, made my shitehawk Sh201 sound like a polymoog too! Also highly recommend diving into the EMU, very easy to get a good sound from it. And having it all hooked up to a Mackie = instant 90s!
  17. R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

742 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    Ive heard the same about their timing, but never had one myself so couldn't say.

The emulator will just be a simple app, the potentially tricky bit is finding the software for it. Someone needs to have put out a rom for whatever software you want.
  18. Forthryte Samplist

Forthryte

Forthryte Samplist

1,263 posts
    Since May 28, 2014
    ^

I was actually hunting down an Atari/amiga emulator a few months ago but couldn't figure out or find a working rom for Cubase or Octamed.
  19. luthatron \o/

luthatron

luthatron \o/

53,685 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    yeah fuck that, at this point a mouse for it will be harder to get than for a PC and cost more. mine was glitchy and it made me incredibly annoyed with it. It's a nice idea having a midi box but really it's pure pain.

Just only use midi in the DAW of choice imo.
  20. Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

Noise-Signal

Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

2,642 posts
    Since Apr 2, 2014
    If your trying to be period, we had win 95 machines by the time the emu 6400 was in most use... The a s950 by akai or roland w50 would be more in line with the atari time wise.
  21. Cordycep Genius

Cordycep

Cordycep Genius

1,400 posts
    Since Jun 6, 2005
    If your going oldskool the midi plugs in ableton come in quite useful (arp, velocity for example) & general midi editing like reverse / invert etc.....

I use a S3000XL with the internal fx board & make some shit ITB with it & just record the main outs...I like the sound but its a ballache to look at that shitty screen & edit.

I also have a 1604 somewhere might dig it out but I think the 8 out board is probably fucked on the sampler....
  22. alien_brain likes this.

Myra

Myra

Myra

592 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2003
    I had one of those setups... in the early 00's. It's fun but slow to work with... I also suggest adding a 90's VA synth: Korg Z1, Nord Lead, Virus B or Roland JP8000 to create something to feed your E-mu. Back then, the E-mu was the center of your setup, not your DAW. Your sampler was used to capture every idea and as a recording device for outboard.

I agree the Atari ST can be replaced with a PC. With Cubase or Logic 5.5 perhaps? Ableton has a too modern workflow in my opinion. ;) There's something very 90's about using a linear sequencer. Ideally a PC without any internet to make it a pure studio PC without distractions.

Ultimately, I enjoy getting results faster (with software) than the joy of working with hardware. Still, there's something magical about working with a hardware setup.
    alien_brain likes this.
  23. Hangar64

Hangar64

Hangar64

69 posts
    Since Dec 24, 2015
    Or get something like the OP-1 or an electribe. Anything that puts constraints and keeps you away from the computer might give you similar results?
  24. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,645 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    groove boxes were not a part of early 90s. but they carry on the tradition of the roland style of programming so sorta 90s but sound source is too modern for 90s although you can almost coax anything from the EMX1

if you like a bunch of edits with your amen breaks your best bet is a tracker, besides, dont trackers from that era do midi? i think a lot of effects were tracker effects too. you could sample into trackers too. you dont need to write every event either, as long as your tracker accepts midi in. only spice it up or deliberately write events when you wanna. what sound are you goin for exactly?

sorry to bring up trackers again.

MPCs were prevalent in the 90s. maybe consider one of those with your EMU + a midi fader like a Peavey PC-1600x etc? automation is your friend. the mpc will faithfully record any midi you throw at it.

a sound source like an asr-x or asr-10 will allow you to map a sample to every key each with very different patch tweaks allowing you to build a kit of sounds that when triggered makes the result sound more powerful than the apparent capability of the unit. the internal resampling is also a major plus when working with the ensoniqs. i love ensoniq!
  25. discode AKA DaveP

discode

discode AKA DaveP

138 posts
    Since Nov 11, 2003
    There is not much point in buying the super expensive 1210's. Any direct drive turntable should suffice. There are several good options. Having said that I love mine and will never part with them.
  26. Stevie Boy likes this.

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

3,558 posts
    Since May 26, 2004
    Fucking argh, so annoyed right now. Boxer shorts the wet from cycling to work in the dark. the feeling of dread tracking back to check only to find some cunt ran em over.
    Stevie Boy likes this.
  27. Kaex

Kaex

Kaex

213 posts
    Since Oct 27, 2014
    Aww fuck yeah pads. I have been really intrigued by the TG500 lately. It seems to be one of the most underated pieces of kit ever. Any one know of a vst / emulation ?

It makes this sound i have noticed all my life. i lost my shit when i found what box actually made that sound. Lost it more when i found out ASC used it on "Nothing is Certain" which is like my favourite IDM record ever.
  28. ChinPunch Generally bored.

ChinPunch

ChinPunch Generally bored.

305 posts
    Since Jul 3, 2016
    In 2009 I bought a Sequential Circuits Prophet (absolute beast of a machine) and an E-MU 6400 Ultra to try something similar to what you're talking about. The Prophet had very simple MIDI (on/off), no velocity or after touch etc., so I just resorted to multi-tracking everything in real time into the E-MU (1/4" jack) using a click track and then sequencing in the E-MU (kind of a nightmare). I got the hang of the menus eventually though and ended up with 10 tracks that I put out as a concept album. Was a fun exercise but looking back I probably wouldn't have the patience to do it again.
  29. Stevie Boy likes this.

Adone

Adone

Adone

385 posts
    Since Feb 25, 2016
    Just sample off oldschool songs...
    Stevie Boy likes this.
  30. ChinPunch and alien_brain like this.

qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

qwert678!!!!

qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

4,990 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010
    OP. Not crazy. Just gotta stick with the commitment. If you can you'll brock out. Applying new school techniques to old school gear especially is sure to yield very high rewards. Good luck mate.
    ChinPunch and alien_brain like this.
Production