Deep and Harmonious Minimal D&B Appreciation Thread

Music Discussion | Jun 15, 2015 Appreciation

1. Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
    Please, feel free to post the deep melodic minimal tunes of the harmonious variety.

The key word in the title is "harmonious" so if the song hasn't much harmony and if it is mostly centred around basslines and minimalist un-tuned percussion then it is just plain ol' "minimal dnb". If it has just regular two-step drums or without any simple & abstract elements then it is not really "minimal dnb" at all but something else like neuro, liquid or what have you. I dislike categorisation as much as the next guy but I hope this clears it up so people don't post cheese ;)

I'll start:

Villem & Mcleod - Borrowed Love (UM017AA)

Synkro - Acceptance (Official Video)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. DJ_Klame, chris.., Vydx and 1 other person like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
  3. Vydx, Amalgam and ApurvA like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
    Vydx, Amalgam and ApurvA like this.
  4. Vydx, Amalgam, ApurvA and 1 other person like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
  5. Vydx and ApurvA like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
  6. Vydx, Amalgam and ApurvA like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
  7. Vydx and ApurvA like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
  8. Vydx and ApurvA like this.

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

Gazoo

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

2,820 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2010
    Vydx and ApurvA like this.
  9. Spyromancer, Vydx and ApurvA like this.

Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
    Spyromancer, Vydx and ApurvA like this.
  10. roringtonsmithe

roringtonsmithe

roringtonsmithe

691 posts
    Since Feb 1, 2010
  11. Vydx and freeradical8 like this.

phreeky

phreeky

phreeky

2,129 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2004
    Vydx and freeradical8 like this.
  12. Vydx and Vexus like this.

terradnb

terradnb

terradnb

256 posts
    Since Apr 14, 2010
    Vydx and Vexus like this.
  13. sicduk likes this.

memorycard

memorycard

memorycard

598 posts
    Since Jul 17, 2012
    i used to make tunes like that, had a dorm mate that was into some progressive house and i used to listen to a bunch of progressive house, those samples can work for DnB, mostly at faster tempo like 170 BPM, not even DnB really, at 170 you have to slow down synth stabs, not as cool, or drop to 160 and chill out the drums and work with those samples, it was very cool, here are some labels:

White Label
    Hooj Tunes
    Yoshitoshi
    Bedrock
    Little Mountain Recordings
    SAW recordings

some others sounds,

Canadian house producer Envy aka MV
    Deep Dish
    John Digweed
    Quivver
    Cass and Slide
    BT
    Dave Seaman
    Luke Chable
    Sasha
    James Holden

JAS - Silver Man Tango (Envy's Galactic...

clearly a different synth i think it is a Yamaha Synth
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    sicduk likes this.
  14. memorycard

memorycard

memorycard

598 posts
    Since Jul 17, 2012
  15. memorycard

memorycard

memorycard

598 posts
    Since Jul 17, 2012
    Medway - Release (Lexicon Avenue Remix)

this tune, it's harder to make some aggressive groove at 170, this is like 120 it creeps up so bad
  16. memorycard

memorycard

memorycard

598 posts
    Since Jul 17, 2012
  17. memorycard

memorycard

memorycard

598 posts
    Since Jul 17, 2012
    George Delkos - Deftoner (Original Mix)

from greece was going that sound also, Dezign Music getting support from John Digweed, this is years ago, that sound was already going out, the rave act screwed the market, so that's what happened, it wasn't the music getting stale, such a pity, check out Satoshi Tomiie in the late 90's New York Club Scene, compared to the shit they make now
  18. memorycard

memorycard

memorycard

598 posts
    Since Jul 17, 2012
    my side of it is like: hook back up with DJ DB, switch over to a Yamaha synth, hook up a promo mix such as those global underground mixes which are monumental, and i think people will still be feelin it, the release format is main problem
  19. Vydx

Vydx

Vydx

2,508 posts
    Since Jul 13, 2014
  20. ApurvA, Vydx and phreeky like this.

Kaex

Kaex

Kaex

247 posts
    Since Oct 27, 2014
    Thanks memorycard for ruining a NEAR IMMACULATE THREAD :rolleyes:
    Deep progressive =/= Autonomic

That was a great selection Visceral. Pretty much the cream of the crop, and the top of my regular selections. Those songs broke out at a very special time in my life. I remember hearing an early preview of Instra:mental's Photograph as the first track on Marcus Intalex's Soul:ution Radio 12 while on a remote radioactive Island far off the coast of Western Australia. I was halfway through a bottle of red looking at the stars in the zodiacal light and i almost came....

I know what you mean though. When the "autonomic sound" broke through it did change the dnb scene in a big way. But what i thought was going to be a torrent has now in 2015 been reduced back to a trickle and im still scratching my head why ?

1. Alot of my friends simply didn't get it. They didn't have the temperate to sit down and absorb the vibe.

2. Official releases were far and few if that. I don't think i paid for a single one. The autonomic podcast was such a high quality item. All of my exposure to this music came from Mixtapes, not EP's. Because of this maybe the demand for this music was hyper-underestimated and ultimately not capitalized upon. EXAMPLE. I think D Bridge's "White Snares" was only released on Mosaic vol.2 - many years after i first heard it and the rest of that compilation is rather hard technical breaks.

3. I actually once wrote to ASC (James Clements) and asked how the whole Autonomic thing came about. I mistook the the quality of the music as evidence that a master-plan was in place to change Dnb. His response was that it was all rather unplanned, rather decentralized and much like the renaissance or steam engine, just sprang up in a few places simultaneously. D Bridge somehow heard it, kindly asked everyone for permission and "Autonomic" was born....

4. There lies a distinct possibility that this in fact music from the far future.

PRODUCERS. We need more of this music.

LABELS. We need some people to really take charge, organise the rights and release a decent centralised compilation of this rather special and historic electronic music.....

DBRIDGE I AM LOOKING AT YOU.... :twothumbs:
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    ApurvA, Vydx and phreeky like this.
  21. Vydx, Akuratyde and Vexus like this.

Forge

Forge

Forge

611 posts
    Since Nov 15, 2005
    We are still releasing this type of music when we get sent it or make it ourselves, see below a few recent tracks:

Ghostek - Velvet - (Forge Re-Imagine Remix) -...

Integration Now - SN2 (2015 Remix) - (SILKD032)

Bulb ft Tiiu - Hardest Way (Ghostek Remix) -...

Again, it's entirely subjective but i do agree with most of the comments that this specific style has dried up as of late.
    Vydx, Akuratyde and Vexus like this.
  22. Gazoo likes this.

Vydx

Vydx

Vydx

2,508 posts
    Since Jul 13, 2014
    Surely Auxiliary fits your definition of deep and harmonious minimal dnb?

Method One - Symbol #5.3

Also do check out producer Oak's record label "Space Cadets" for a more dubby yet still sublime approach
    Gazoo likes this.
  23. Forge

Forge

Forge

611 posts
    Since Nov 15, 2005
    Just to confirm - ''Space Cadets'' is not 'Oak's' record label it is a guys called Ario from 'Empire' a dnb production duo. We released some their tunes back in the day, and ad far as i am aware the label is also no more.
  24. 2332s

2332s

2332s

411 posts
    Since Dec 23, 2010
    Ambient DNB is a better name than "Deep and Harmonious Minimal D&B..."
    Someone must make a hit record and people will start to imitate him, there is no other way to popularise this sound, it's too mellow and chilled to be mainstream.
  25. terradnb

terradnb

terradnb

256 posts
    Since Apr 14, 2010
    New EP is sublime :)
  26. Vydx

Vydx

Vydx

2,508 posts
    Since Jul 13, 2014
    I guess I stand corrected

Can't see it happening. Also the thing with the name was really just semantics/descriptive from my point of view, no biggy.
  27. sublime-dnb

sublime-dnb

sublime-dnb

273 posts
    Since Oct 31, 2014
  28. snakepiece and phreeky like this.

ApurvA

ApurvA

ApurvA

220 posts
    Since Sep 29, 2011
    i made this one few years back .. kind of atmospheric vibe .. hope you'll like it .. my first release on Meerkat Recordings

cheers !:-)
    snakepiece and phreeky like this.
  29. Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
    Without a doubt I hear more minimalist/futurist styled music being promoted mainstream these days though...

Major Lazer - Get Free ft. Amber of the Dirty...

Bonobo - First Fires (Ft. Grey Reverend)

Clean Bandit - Rather Be feat. Jess Glynne...

:D:D:D:D

I have identified people describing "ambient dnb" in the past mostly with jungle drums and not minimal hits. Proof of this lies here: http://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/best-atmospheric-mixes.767249/
    It tends to sound something like this:

I made a previous thread about minimal dnb but it turned in to the non-harmonious variety like that of Heartdrive etc. hence my need to really state specifically what I mean.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  30. Visceral

Visceral

Visceral

1,534 posts
    Since Aug 14, 2007
Music Discussion