Digital - Gateman Bass sound

Production | Jan 10, 2017

1. I hate to ask for a bass sound as this board is full of it, but I've always wondered and have never been able to make anything close to this sound. The smooth but rumbling bass in Gateman for example. 2 808's on keys next to each other give a kind of wobble but it's not the same. I think 6 Million Ways to Die had the same bass too.

Anyone know how to achieve it in Massive or Serum? I'm probably over thinking it and it's 2 subs :(

2m 40secs in is the clearest example.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. misterforensics

misterforensics

misterforensics

592 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2003
    detuned square waves, with a low pass filter or top end eq'd off. load a square wave and hit two white notes adjacent to each other for quick reference.
  3. misterforensics

misterforensics

misterforensics

592 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2003
    also, possibly a bit of slide or pitch envelope to taste.
  4. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,228 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Have u tried 2 voices and autmation modulate the spread of them with a delay and rise on the,lfo.
  5. Will try this, ta.
  6. I tried something similar but just couldn't get that roundness or the same feel to get it to 'drop in' the way this does. It sounds like it's coming in from above and getting heavier. Hard to describe it, sorry
  7. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,228 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Word I haven't listened yet sorry I only have cell but I've been working on similar basses it is tough. I've also had some luck with audio. inverting the phase of a copy and playing with the volime automaton.

Um but my firsr example if you go to serums global osc you can play with those setting (width) set to 0 or close to it. You'll have to turn up the output or drive a filter.

Possibly have osc a doing this and osc b with its phase inverted no random on either and modulate lfo on its volume with a delay n rise.
  8. Jimmy Crack likes this.

misterforensics

misterforensics

misterforensics

592 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2003
    Too fussy to replicate the sound in the tune

Just need to sample one long shot and then you get a varied speed of oscillation between notes.
    Jimmy Crack likes this.
  9. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,228 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Ya,but you'll want to ger the phasing in the,sample so it wobbles as you play different notes ya?
  10. misterforensics

misterforensics

misterforensics

592 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2003
    No.

Just detune two square waves, set low pass filter at the right bite point. Sample then play the riff you want. As you move up and down the scale the sample will play back at faster and slower rates giving slightly different timings on the sound of the oscillation. Phasing would be adding something different to the equation.
  11. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,228 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Detunung them is causing phasing.. your saying the same thing m8.
  12. misterforensics

misterforensics

misterforensics

592 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2003
    no, i was talking about detuning. you are talking about phasing. my first comment was to detune two square waves, then you added a few pointers that will detract from the process.

What i wouldnt want is for the OP to misunderstand your suggestion and add phasing as an additional to the detuning - which as you point out has already occured.
  13. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,228 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Right I get that my b. I was just rambling ideas off how to get phasing ecffect when detune isnt cutting it. I was thinking 808s not sqs my b also. (as it was in another thread not here talking about 2 notes next to each other to get the wobble sub.

If I want a more mono (as in not wide sounding) I'd use phase inverted copies and automate the lfo to a speed I like. Or use serum global to reduce width so when you increase vocing it's still mono and just phases. Using kpt you don't even have to resample.
  14. misterforensics

misterforensics

misterforensics

592 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2003
    i hear you. was just keeping it simple and chunky, like the original tune
  15. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,228 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    :slayer:Thanks yo glad to see people on here discussing basses again. Tired of shit weak basses :teeth::spliff:
  16. Jimmy Crack likes this.
    I think that's the problem I've faced...making it too complex and getting further away from the sound. I'm gonna try it tonight with the squares first and see how that goes. Thanks for both of your inputs :icon13:
    Jimmy Crack likes this.
  17. DJ I.C.

DJ I.C.

DJ I.C.

3,197 posts
    Since May 19, 2005
    i agree its a lowpassed square, eq the fundamental or drive it and play two notes a semitone apapart or detune an oscillator a semitone, sample c1 for ease. put back into sampler, play riff which is roughly B F#(Gb) C#(Db) G#(Ab) E . The sample plays back at different speeds. There may a slight fade on the initial note.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  18. DJ I.C.

DJ I.C.

DJ I.C.

3,197 posts
    Since May 19, 2005
    https://clyp.it/uh2zwr32
    made a quick example in massive. sampled c1 and played the riff. i know its not perfect, but it gets you in the ballpark.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  19. DJ I.C. likes this.
    That is fucking lovely mate!!! That is just the sound I'm after
    DJ I.C. likes this.
  20. DJ I.C.

DJ I.C.

DJ I.C.

3,197 posts
    Since May 19, 2005
    I'm expecting a dubbed out smasher from you now :spliff:
  21. DJ I.C. likes this.
    lol - working on it ;)

(been working on one for years though :( )
    DJ I.C. likes this.
  22. DJ I.C. likes this.

oliversarmy

oliversarmy

oliversarmy

2 posts
    Since Jan 11, 2017
    Exactly what i'm looking for.
    DJ I.C. likes this.
Production