DnB Records Worth Keeping

Music Discussion | Mar 12, 2017

1. daveill שּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁ

daveill

daveill שּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁ

9,233 posts
    Since Apr 3, 2002
    Are there any DnB records that are gaining value as they get older?

I collect a lot of Hardcore / Punk that gain value as time passes due to limited pressings, bands becoming popular after initial release of records, coloured vinyl, etc.

Will DnB follow suite?
  2. 2turntables and daveill like this.

junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,679 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015
    I was looking for a copy of seba- 31 alpha, a while back and the cheapest I could find one was £35, there's quite a few like that,
    only about 10% of them, some of the newer stuff that gets pressed in small quantities goes up to £40 after all the copies are bought up, discogs will tell you if you have the time to spend on there. jump up/techstep has little value for some reason.
    2turntables and daveill like this.
  3. daveill שּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁ

daveill

daveill שּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁשּׁ

9,233 posts
    Since Apr 3, 2002
    @junglebass1 Thanks for the info.

I was just checking the original press of Origin Unknown - Valley of Shadows > $25......I would have thought that would have more value.
  4. Steven C, Cakes, darf-fader and 6 others like this.

sato

sato

sato

856 posts
    Since Sep 1, 2008
    All of them. ALL OF THEM!
    Steven C, Cakes, darf-fader and 6 others like this.
  5. Vexus likes this.

RobertGraff

RobertGraff

RobertGraff

2,560 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2005
    It's been repressed loads of times though. Fair enough, it's the reason Ram's still in the game I guess.
    Vexus likes this.
  6. illatron

illatron

illatron

5,975 posts
    Since Nov 27, 2004
    All Source Direct.
  7. soundsurfer the future! the future!

soundsurfer

soundsurfer the future! the future!

13,510 posts
    Since Nov 12, 2004
    this.
  8. daveill likes this.

Salem.77 etc etc

Salem.77

Salem.77 etc etc

203 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2017
    A Jungle one to do with Tech Itch (under an alias) is worth £45+! (Got it free yrs ago)

Probs just rare vinyl now, but if you ever stumble upon 'Psychokenisis -The Secret ep' = remember that one is worth far more than 'a few quid'.
    daveill likes this.
  9. Sokora Oh hai.

Sokora

Sokora Oh hai.

2,275 posts
    Since Aug 18, 2007
    You'd be lucky to find Atlantis for less than £25
  10. daveill likes this.

Sokora Oh hai.

Sokora

Sokora Oh hai.

2,275 posts
    Since Aug 18, 2007
    daveill likes this.
  11. Bogbrush likes this.

illatron

illatron

illatron

5,975 posts
    Since Nov 27, 2004
    Bogbrush likes this.
  12. vespa King of Lake Shore Boulevard

vespa

vespa King of Lake Shore Boulevard

6,171 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    The odds that you'll make any money in D+B records in the years 2017-onward are slim indeed. The genre's fan base is relatively tiny to start with, and the amount of dudes who are willing to drop big coin on records (due to either nostalgia or actually DJing with vinyl) is a small percentage of that.

Even if you do manage to link your rare item with an obsessive collector, we're still talking about amounts in the neighbourhood of £20-50, less shipping costs and general hassle - hardly a license to print money.
  13. 2turntables

2turntables

2turntables

19,049 posts
    Since Dec 6, 2005
    agreed it isn't going to be fuckloads, but quite a few of the newer jungle releases (green bay wax, repertoire, etc) and of course scientific wax go for much more than the initial price. limited releases from the likes of critical, stuff by paradox, seba, etc too.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?label_id=548368&ev=lb

quite a few >£100 quid jungle tunes too
  14. vespa King of Lake Shore Boulevard

vespa

6,171 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    "Posted for" =/= "Sold for"

For what it's worth, you're likely far better off buying an actual rare classic in decent condition than some spurious "limited edition" flash in the pan from two years ago.
  15. Robbbo Expansion always, in all ways

Robbbo

Robbbo Expansion always, in all ways

570 posts
    Since Aug 20, 2016
    I'm happy to pay a bit of money for a track I really like if it's not available elsewhere. But I won't go much over 40 - 50 bucks (including postage, which is always a killer).

I want this for "Plenty Lovin" but 66 NZ squids + postage is too much

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Volume-1/master/426939

tbh I should just rip it off youtube.
  16. daveill, phreeky and 2turntables like this.

R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

879 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    Before the mp3s/discogs/youtube era any hardcore/jungle vinyl was worth close to a fiver secondhand, no matter how crap it was. With good tunes costing more and perceived rarities more still.

Then the value of everything plumetted when it became easily accessible online.

Then it started creeping up again, but not for everything.

Now it matches other longstanding genres for pricing.

Over time, the vinyl that commands a decent price has to be known (I saw some Photek tunes on discogs for crazy money, but little known aliases went dirt cheap for a long time, until people catch on) and in fashion (tends to cycle with whole genres being collectable at any one time). And a good tune. And rare (low numbers pressed). And pristine. Catch all of those and who can guess where the maximum price will eventually reach?
    daveill, phreeky and 2turntables like this.
  17. phreeky and R0llin like this.

2turntables

2turntables

2turntables

19,049 posts
    Since Dec 6, 2005
    check the sold prices then, they're only slightly lower than those for sale.

well yes, if you're purely looking at it as an investment. but i buy records to play, not sit unused on a shelf. prices are as high as they've ever been and whilst the the market will bottom out in the near future imo, those labels i mentioned will still command a premium and won't be a "flash in the pan", especially those with previously unreleased tracks.

very long term, as people into it get older & their kids leave home and they've paid the mortgage off anything decent and hard to get hold of will see some gargantuan prices, like northern soul or something does now.
    phreeky and R0llin like this.
  18. R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

879 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    What factors do you see causing a short term bottoming out? (Edit - not disagreeing, genuinely curious)
  19. Cakes likes this.

2turntables

2turntables

2turntables

19,049 posts
    Since Dec 6, 2005
    the last 2 or 3 years have seen some ridiculous rises. that trend can't continue, there will be some long term stabilisation.

the effect of facebook groups like llbcj have raised the profile of so many tracks, particularly when it started. almost every tune posted has someone rushing to buy it, be it as a long sought id, newly discovered track or previously forgotten one. this influence is going to diminish over time.

stuff will start to languish unsold on discogs at high prices based on the historical data, then traders start to lower them to get rid of dead stock.

vinyl is quite trendy at the moment, whilst it would be nice if it lasts, ultimately in a few years there will be less new kids getting into it.

i could be completely wrong of course.
    Cakes likes this.
  20. 2turntables likes this.

R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

879 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    Sounds like a fair projection to me.

We will have to wait and see.

Personally, I'd like it if the market collapses completely and everything goes dirt cheap again - then it becomes accessible to those that want the vinyl simply to listen to the music (and not as an investment).
    2turntables likes this.
  21. 2turntables

2turntables

2turntables

19,049 posts
    Since Dec 6, 2005
    ha, i think it'll take a nuclear apocalypse for that to happen.

a mate of mine worked in soho in the late nineties when everyone was getting rid of their stuff from a few years previous and he spent his lunchbreaks in the record shops there, picking up near enough every decent old skool and jungle tune for a few quid each. bastard.
  22. R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

879 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    I agree there is zero chance of it happening. Nuclear apocalypse would probably only push the prices up further :laughing:

Funnily enough, I got about half of my collection around that same time - shopping in Camden on my lunch break. So many people getting shot of their vinyl, it drove me nuts that you couldn't listen before you buy in music exchange as that's where most of the stuff ended up.
  23. zfh1r

zfh1r

zfh1r

2 posts
    Since Mar 14, 2017
    i'm trying to get my hands on all blue ep by halogenix. saw 1 copy on discogs for 60 odd quid, but unfortunately the seller ended up saying she couldnt find it
  24. phreeky likes this.

dabbler

dabbler

dabbler

3,206 posts
    Since Mar 11, 2002
    tracks like these, I would never let go

Adam F Metropolis Doc Scott Remix
    J Majik - Your Sound remix
    phreeky likes this.
  25. vespa King of Lake Shore Boulevard

vespa

6,171 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    The original post seems to come at the subject from a purely monetary angle, so I commented in the same vein. For what it's worth, I play my records as well. The problem with playing your records is that it reduces future sale value (if selling is your intention).

You are dreaming, my friend. When Northern Soul took off, most of the records were already rare (some exceedingly so). In many cases, the labels had folded, so there were no represses etc. A few decades go by, and the rarity only increases; however, the amount of people interested enough to pay through the nose for a copy decreases.

In the era that classic jungle tunes were released, the main way for the labels to make money was still to sell as many copies of possible. In most cases, if a tune got big, they pressed up lots of copies ("lots" being a relative term here, but still). While we may perhaps see a few records get somewhat expensive, it'll be the few instances where a tune gained a cult following but for whatever reason was still only pressed in tiny quantity.

You can never totally rule out the possibility of an obsessive collector with lots of money shelling out for a particular item, but it's very much the exception. Resident Advisor had a recent article running down the most valuable dance music records sold on Discogs: www.residentadvisor.net/features/2752
    As you can see, it's mostly "artificially rare" gimmicky stuff from more popular artists like Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, etc. There's exactly one D+B record in the list ($300, five copies in existence).
  26. 2turntables

2turntables

2turntables

19,049 posts
    Since Dec 6, 2005
    fair enough. but right now i could find 50 jungle/dnb tunes that regularly sell for 50 quid quite easily. we'll see where they are in 20 years.
  27. 2turntables likes this.

RobertGraff

RobertGraff

RobertGraff

2,560 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2005
    It makes me very happy to know that one of my favourite dnb records of all time is also my most valuable, according to discogs. I had no idea that would occur when I bought it in 1994 though.

Over the years, old or limited run dnb has been very collectible; clearly it's scarcity is a big element of that. I once sold my Alex Reece Pulp Fiction 12" for £30 (sacrilegious I know, but I actually don't rate it).

However, I guess not every picture disc being released is going to shoot up in value. It's hard to predict. One set that has increased in value massively is the Instra:Mental stuff on Darkestral. Sepia Tones appears to sell anywhere between £40 - £80 a pop.

If you wanted to make a buck from dnb vinyl, you definitely could, you just need to keep an eye on the limited edition stuff (it's probably all low volume now, right?) coming out that you know has created a buzz. However, I think what makes the Darkestral stuff particularly valuable is the fact that it never got a digital release.
    2turntables likes this.
  28. The Law Repertoire

The Law

The Law Repertoire

1,165 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2002
    The bottom isnt falling out the 2nd hand jungle market IMO

It already happened 10/15 years ago, when I could get any source direct tune for about 3 quid. When I actually got Secret Liasons on ebay for 99p.

The guys back then were collectors / DJs back in the day and they got mortgages and kids so they all sold.

Now all the jungle is being bought back by a lot of these guys. Except only now they have far more disposable income - and they dont need to sell anytime soon.

People buying these records for stupid prices mostly are well in their 30s and beyond. They are keeping these records for life. Dont expect prices to get cheaper. Prices may ease off, but they aint going down.
  29. Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

Noise-Signal

Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

2,779 posts
    Since Apr 2, 2014
    How much is Bodyrock worth?
  30. Odysee Recordings likes this.

The Law Repertoire

The Law

The Law Repertoire

1,165 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2002
    50p?

Christ they must have pressed 10/15k?

Mad to think how many units you could shitf back then. Apparently 5000 was a small enough number for GLR to list "limited edition" on the boxes of the Earth series.
    Odysee Recordings likes this.
Music Discussion