DnB using FL Studio 12

Off-Topic | Feb 17, 2017

1. sky_shrimp

sky_shrimp

sky_shrimp

100 posts
    Since Dec 17, 2016
    Is anyone here using FL Studio 12 to make DnB? I've just started and can't use the program yet.

Post your tunes!
  2. inversion They Take My DogTags

inversion

inversion They Take My DogTags

5,432 posts
    Since Dec 16, 2005
    I know Spor and Camo & Crooked do and I think Emperor but could be wrong on that one. I'm doing a comparison myself at the moment its a difficult choice
  3. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,470 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
  4. inversion They Take My DogTags

inversion

5,432 posts
    Since Dec 16, 2005
  5. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,470 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    It's too early to write that book. Maybe after I eat..

https://clyp.it/hkuthzi2 unchecked mix for my car-ride needed spot to hold link.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. inversion They Take My DogTags

inversion

5,432 posts
    Since Dec 16, 2005
    no worries. just interested as i said, im trying to choose
  7. inversion likes this.

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,470 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    A lot of good shit and if u know what your doing it can work. My biggest issues is the macro system which is shit (vs abelton), pdc with sidechains and latency plugns, sampler envelope speed, and terrible audio file management labeling and stemming.

So I don't macro sadly, I don't use latency plugins or do crazy sidechain compression/ if I do I stem it as one file,to avoid changing the audios quantization, I use battery 4 for samples cause they have good adsr envlopes, and I use a template I made to help with naming tho its not where I want it to be.

The playlist could be better. I mean personally I'm ok with most of it. I don't need eveything neatly laid out in lanes. In fact I like how messy it can be. But you need to sacrifice your channel rack for unique copies of automations..or learn to extend one and make good use of start end times to avoid clicking or popping. Initialized contrls can be confusing but you can turn them off now by default. I still start and end each clip with same value but you may have to set the start time before the clip to avoid clicks n pops.

I don't see myself switching but I'm looking at abelton for some macros and better audio editing. Hard to get away from fl playlist. Makes for easy push pull midi grooves, scale hilighting, note articulation, custom quantize templates and a randomizer to all make a groove flow well.
    inversion likes this.
  8. inversion likes this.

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,470 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    If u use fl u can ask me shit questions if u feel stuck or something sounding off.
    inversion likes this.
  9. 2332s

2332s

2332s

420 posts
    Since Dec 23, 2010
    FL has pretty good online tutorials from Image Line and from the youtube users.
    Also the manual is pretty good.
  10. HouseAddict likes this.

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,470 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Ya there ok but I suggest not watching seamless too long or following any one person's advice. Those videos are also like cancer with shit info depending what u watch.
    HouseAddict likes this.
  11. DustBrigade

DustBrigade

DustBrigade

515 posts
    Since Oct 21, 2014
    I use it. In many ways I was faster with 11, guess I like that the mixer was smaller and looked shittier.

I am also open to questions if you want. I am always curious about workflow tips.

One thing that annoys me (maybe someone have some insight on this) Is that you need to click the playlist (if your channel rack or mixer are used last) before changing the tool of the mouse with a key press (ie brush to a mute or scissor).
  12. RE5ONANCE This guy

RE5ONANCE

RE5ONANCE This guy

1,946 posts
    Since Nov 24, 2015
    i use FL12 it's ok i'm just shit at it.
    tracks in sig below
  13. Adone

Adone

Adone

408 posts
    Since Feb 25, 2016
    you can't be 2001 and use fl.
    <3 :ana:
    (not that I am 2001 :smashed:)
  14. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,470 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    woildnt u only use that in mixer.

for me its mouse 3 to quick access menu
  15. DustBrigade

DustBrigade

DustBrigade

515 posts
    Since Oct 21, 2014
    I mean I switch between the pen (p) and muting tool (t) in the playlist, but have to actually click on the playlist first, resulting in for example an extra pattern or reaching for the header or deliberately on a block of something where the current tool won't mess up. Makes sense?
  16. DustBrigade likes this.

ciddic

ciddic

ciddic

569 posts
    Since Apr 22, 2007
    I still use FL11. I have a hard time getting over the cartoon GUI of 12. Although some of the features in the latest build look great. Being able to resize native plugins looks so useful.

I encounter the same problem with using the playlist shortcuts as well. I end up just clicking on the playlist icons instead. It's mildly annoying. I wish I had a solution for you.
    DustBrigade likes this.
  17. ciddic likes this.

DustBrigade

DustBrigade

DustBrigade

515 posts
    Since Oct 21, 2014
    Thing is that you can only increase size (which makes sense with a 4k monitor where everything is supertiny) So my laptop with a 1366*768 screen have the new mixer and a few plugins slightly to big.

Good to hear that It happened in 11 too in some ways, seems a bit like an oversight or we both miss some key aspect.
    ciddic likes this.
Off-Topic