Experimental Attempt At DnB Track - Yalla

Production | Mar 19, 2017

1. custardtart and MrBaldwig like this.

Yalla

Yalla

Yalla

1,943 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2016
    so i tried to make another dnb track. does it sound ok or not ok? i like it, but maybe it is too experimental, not sure if the flow works or too chopped up. anyways plz listen and comment. thx. it is a watery vibe btw, just in case anyone woz wondering. again, many thx in advance. Yalla x

custardtart and MrBaldwig like this.
  2. sato

sato

sato

909 posts
    Since Sep 1, 2008
    It isn't the sort of thing I would normally listen to so I can't comment on the musicality of it, however, I would say you should cut the string pads out when it drops (around 30 sec mark?). Now normally I would say to do that out of convention and this is an unconventional arrangement so I was thinking not to. But on further listening they really do confuse it. Also the chimes/glockenspiel refrain should be cut out at that point. Let the bass and mids develop in isolation and then bring them back in later.

Top tip: if you find that you can't drop to just drums, bass, mids then there is probably something wrong with one of those elements. Go back in and make them stronger.
  3. Claaart Kent Incognito

Claaart Kent

Claaart Kent Incognito

798 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2009
    I like it, it's genuinely quirky.

Only criticisms are that there is no sub and that it's a little repetitive - I kept expecting some surprises in the second half of the track that never came.
  4. MrBaldwig Talentless wannabe

MrBaldwig

MrBaldwig Talentless wannabe

44 posts
    Since Apr 29, 2016
    I like it. Previous replies are both right, and I would add I wanted to hear a bit more variation in the drums - for some reason this came to mind:

Rockwell - 4U (Full)

A bit of that choppiness wouldn't go amiss imo.
  5. Yalla

Yalla

Yalla

1,943 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2016
    thx you guys, def gonna try to carve out some time to revisit this track at the weekend and see if i can drop out the strings and get a sub going.
  6. 2332s

2332s

2332s

420 posts
    Since Dec 23, 2010
    Sounds like it was mixed for really small speakers. I would drop the "experimental" description, sounds like normal jump up with a pad.
  7. phreeky

phreeky

phreeky

2,138 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2004
    mind expanding bizness :teeth: i sort of enjoy listening to it because it's something else and quirky as said above

agreed needs sub and on top of that clearer mid-hi/hi freqs. generally sounds very hollow. makes it hard to hear the hats
  8. custardtart Vanilla Extract

custardtart

custardtart Vanilla Extract

328 posts
    Since Mar 24, 2009
    Do like it, it's far more interesting than the billion Neurofartâ„¢ tunes around today.
    Think it needs sub and mixdown work though as already said above.
Production