09. ‘Redemption’
    10. ‘Tu Viens Avec Moi?’
    11. ‘The Ballad Celeste’
    12. ‘This Is Not A Love Song’
    13. ‘The River Mirrored’
    14. ‘Triangle’
    15. ‘Tomorrow’s Not Today’
    16. ‘Run Run Run’

Goldie vs Ulterior Motive - I Adore You (Official...
  2. car factor likes this.

Stringz

Stringz

Stringz

1,790 posts
    Since Jul 16, 2001
    hope it's a return to the Ajax sound
    car factor likes this.
  3. R0llin

R0llin

R0llin

879 posts
    Since Mar 6, 2016
    I reckon the best you could hope for is a track or two giving a nod to the old skool vibe, but I wouldn't expect that.
    My hope would be more that there is something groundbreaking\original in there. Don't know if that is more realistic or not?
  4. Odysee Recordings

Odysee Recordings

Odysee Recordings

197 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2016
    That I Adore You the 1st clip that I've come across- It's pretty impressive and you know Goldie will have aimed high across the board on this album!! I don't know to what extent he will recreate the vibe of Timeless, but I'm looking forward to hearing it in it's entirety. Proper concept D&B Albums are something of a rarity but you know he will be one of the most likely artists to deliver one!
  5. freeradical8 likes this.

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

zeroec

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

7,453 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    How is it impressive ? A lot of us seem to think its cheesy.

Looking back at Goldie's album discography, he never has tried to recreate the Timeless vibe. Did he say he tried that for the new album somewhere, or is it your personal wish ?
    freeradical8 likes this.
  6. Stringz

Stringz

Stringz

1,790 posts
    Since Jul 16, 2001
    yeah the new track isn't impressive at all sadly. He's definitely got some amazing work in him still so I'm still hopeful.
  7. freeradical8 likes this.

khal the least jiggy.

khal

khal the least jiggy.

25,838 posts
    Since Aug 21, 2001
    I wasn't into the track, tbh, and I am a big fan of Goldie and UM.
    freeradical8 likes this.
  8. Echo Chamber and phreeky like this.

nise1

nise1

nise1

2,523 posts
    Since Jul 24, 2005
    I've heard the first track too yesterday and I thought it was weak, then I listened to it again today and found it quite nice!
    Then I tried to recreate my stream of thought, here it goes:
    At first when I saw Goldie vs Ulterior motive and a new album coming I immediately expected something new/groundbreaking/top notch at least and got disappointed that it was another vocal tune with nothing new to offer, so I labeled it as "weak" and decided to wait for more clips.
    Next day I stumbled upon it again and thought to give it another listen, without having any wishful expectation for something new, and to tell you the truth, the tune is more than ok, it's a good tune.
    Not something extraordinary but still a good tune imho!
    Echo Chamber and phreeky like this.
  9. InsideMan, 2turntables and dnr like this.

khal the least jiggy.

khal

khal the least jiggy.

25,838 posts
    Since Aug 21, 2001
    I'm not that huge into the vocal.
    InsideMan, 2turntables and dnr like this.
  10. freeradical8 likes this.

Odysee Recordings

Odysee Recordings

Odysee Recordings

197 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2016
    @zeroec I probably used the wrong word when I said 'vibe'- should have said standard or quality- that I guess is my personal wish for the Album. I don't find it cheesy although I know that some people might. Maybe I'm just a sucker for an emotive vocal-based track...It's why I love people like Spectrasoul so much. Anyway no track is for everybody- I hope the Album has plenty to enjoy that's all anyone can ask from it:)
    freeradical8 likes this.
  11. zeroec R.I.P. DOA

zeroec

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

7,453 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    In my opinion there has never been a bad Goldie tune. He has a few weaker ones (like Arkangel or Mother to some (not including me)).
    But this one seems very commercial in a bad way.

And why the hell does he work with Neil Tennant ? That guy is the incarnation of cheesy pop trash.
  12. mentalien likes this.

nise1

nise1

nise1

2,523 posts
    Since Jul 24, 2005
    All I can think of is that Goldie has his mind made up about the direction his album will have, we've just heard one tune out of 16, I'm pretty sure there will be some gems and some ok tunes, maybe some cheesy ones as well.
    I think that nowadays, especially the old producers, are trying to reach for the mainstream as a means to stay alive commercially and have profit that will allow them to sign the groundbreaking, but not profitable, tunes that will keep the spirit alive.
    If you follow today's dnb scene you will see how much cheesy pop-dnb appeals to the young crowds, I'm sure no one in the business wouldn't want their attention/money.
    Anyway, soon we'll hear more clips and we will have a better idea about it!
    mentalien likes this.
  13. mentalien impulsecreator.com

mentalien

mentalien impulsecreator.com

1,057 posts
    Since Apr 8, 2003
    yeah it does sound VERY commercial, but in a good way - to me at least
    the breaks / drum programming sounds very good but not too complex and the vocals are on point, it's an easily digestible pop dnb song and it uses all the classic elements of dnb instead of trying to shit on the genre
  14. zeroec R.I.P. DOA

zeroec

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

7,453 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    I agree, but :cry:

...and Goldie used to be called the ambassador (but not of cheese).

Thats another way of looking at it. Not mine though.
  15. Odysee Recordings

Odysee Recordings

Odysee Recordings

197 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2016
    I just had another listen...still like it...but not the piano argh!!!
  16. nise1

nise1

nise1

2,523 posts
    Since Jul 24, 2005
    @zeroec
    I would cry as well, but I really do not care if Goldie's album would be appropriate for my liking, as long as, if his album proves to be a commercial success, he signs up new talents, hungry to keep the true, pure underground dnb spirit alive!
  17. freeradical8 and zeroec like this.

dnr Armchair Junglist.

dnr

dnr Armchair Junglist.

2,141 posts
    Since Jun 9, 2002
    It's not just the vocal. I think the vocal is pretty awful. The instrumental was way better, yet still forgettable and I listened to it yesterday. All 3 versions.
    Forgettable.
    A baby born on the day Timeless was released would be almost 22 years old. I work with people who are younger than that album. Times have changed. Goldie has too.
    I liked Saturnz Returned more when I was younger. Still think there's a lot of gold on that album. But not so much since that early '00s era.
    freeradical8 and zeroec like this.
  18. seanofthebean Numb & Void

seanofthebean

seanofthebean Numb & Void

41 posts
    Since Oct 19, 2010
    I can't listen to timless all the way through same has saturn returns. the vocal tunes were annoying in the day a bit of head fuck from the darkness .I hope he still has a bit of that angry darkness on the new one that .hope the total science remix is good
  19. Stringz

Stringz

Stringz

1,790 posts
    Since Jul 16, 2001
    I couldn't read your post all the way through! Your punctuation is annoying, a bit of a head fuck.
  20. zeroec R.I.P. DOA

zeroec

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

7,453 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    I dont see it that way. There are two possible scenarios here:

1.) for some reason only the first release is "cheesy". Then its about the money. I dont like it, but so be it. The rest of the album is great as all of his other albums.

2.) the rest of the album is cheese too. Goldie has lost it. He's old, disconnected, more interested in his art, yoga and family, tired of travelling and djaying. The spirit of the 90ies is long gone. Another generation with different ideas makes new DnB from a technical point of view. Whatever you do, old Metalheadz cant be brought back.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  21. mundos In forest.

mundos

mundos In forest.

8,805 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
    As a dnb track aimed at the mainstream but still having decent beats I'd say it achieves it very well.
  22. facerider990 likes this.

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

zeroec

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

7,453 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    Am i missing something here ??
    Why does a Metalheadz, well Goldie LP, has to appeal to the mainstream ?

What is that anyway ? The charts ? Or are we talking about the EDM kids ? Beatport topseller ?

When Timeless came out, it was underground music that appealed to people because of its beauty and freshness, because arty jungle music was different and new.
    But now it seems DnB tries to appeal to an existing EDM audience that does not understand where it came from and what its journey was.
    Thats a complete reversed situation.
    Timeless had its slightly cheesy moments, but this one is 90% cheese, trying to hold the balance between classy and commercial.
    facerider990 likes this.
  23. mundos In forest.

mundos

mundos In forest.

8,805 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
    Why shouldn't it?

I don't see anything wrong with being popular. The audience of 40 year olds who were around for the blue note sessions is quite small.
  24. zeroec R.I.P. DOA

zeroec

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

7,453 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    As i said, Timeless appealed to an audience. It was spawned from the underground and people loved it.
    Now, Goldie tries to appeal to a new generation.
    All of his LP's are personal and connected to his life and journey, coming from the soul.
    Why is it even necessary to make it appealing to the EDM masses ?
    Either its beautiful or it isnt. And we know Goldie's music always came from the soul.
  25. phreeky likes this.

mundos In forest.

mundos

mundos In forest.

8,805 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
    I'm sure he feel this album is from his soul.

There is a young audience for drum and bass so why not include them? I think it's a good thing that teenagers are into dnb.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    phreeky likes this.
  26. mentalien impulsecreator.com

mentalien

mentalien impulsecreator.com

1,057 posts
    Since Apr 8, 2003
    just a reminder: so far we only know ONE track from the 16-track album, and this one track happens to be commercial sounding, yes, but in a much better way than any of the drum&bass tunes which had commercial success in the past few years
    if you put aside that commercial feel, you can hear proper laid-back drum&bass beats with strong vocals
  27. freeradical8 likes this.

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

zeroec

zeroec R.I.P. DOA

7,453 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2002
    Because, when you do it in a commercial way, you adapt to them.
    Ideally your music is so strong, continuing with your journey as an artist, that you dont have to specially appeal to a new generation.
    In fact it is the sign, that something is not working:
    Either you are not in touch with your audience, or the audience is not in touch with this music genre.
    Which is exactly what is happening imo.
    freeradical8 likes this.
  28. mundos In forest.

mundos

mundos In forest.

8,805 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
    If Goldie saw it as part of his development as an artist to have a wider appeal that would be ligitimate in my opinion.
    As an established genre now, there's limited scope for where you can go creatively anyway. In fact Goldies most experimental work (e.g mother) wasn't that well recieved.
    Anyway, it's only one track. It's just common sense to release the 'hit' first.
  29. phreeky likes this.

BadPerm

BadPerm

BadPerm

595 posts
    Since Jan 6, 2015
    Look forward to this. Broke out Malice in Wonderland the other day. Special Request is dope af
    phreeky likes this.
  30. facerider990 and zeroec like this.

khal the least jiggy.

khal

khal the least jiggy.

25,838 posts
    Since Aug 21, 2001
    I don't know what the rest of the album sounds like, but I don't think Goldie's trying to hit the EDM audience. Most of those kids want whatever Spinnin' Records is releasing as dnb, and even then there isn't that much of a market for dnb within that zone.

I'd say if Goldie was trying to appeal to whatever commercial/mainstream audience, it'd be in the similar aspect that most dnb acts have appealed to the charts, with fuller songs that could play on the radio. AKA what Timeless did with tracks like "Inner City Life," but since we're decades removed, it doesn't seem like that's a surefire way of doing things.

He's got the name, though. And again, it's hard to judge the full album off the lead single (one of which I wasn't too keen on).
    facerider990 and zeroec like this.
Music Discussion