How did DnB get produced pre 'in the box era' ?

Production | Jan 10, 2017

1. Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

Roachie

Roachie Official DOA Emberist #3

6,117 posts
    Since Mar 10, 2008
    Sounds like a fun set up. You have any of these tunes online?
  2. milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

84 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015

production seems to be a hundred times more complicated now than in the sampler era.... splitting basses, designing transient, distorting tails, sub and mids, and on and on and on.

back then, you had a pile of records for good breaks (which you slammed on the desk till it got nice and crunchy), some nice synths, or synth samples care of future music cds (which you slammed on the desk till it got nice and crunchy), and then you wrote a good loop using your sampler and sequencer. and it all sounded GOOD. maybe a alesis verb or joemeek eq to round it off...

hit record on the dat machine when you were ready to play it out, and bob's yer uncle....

comparatively today, it's pretty close to OCD levels of detail...
  3. milleborne likes this.

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

3,633 posts
    Since Aug 1, 2016
    And partly because it's much simpler to do some things with hardware..

Like if you had a Behringer Ultrafex, it was easy to add as much top-end as you needed, whereas a digital EQ can sound pretty abrasive trying to do the same ... Talking about side-chaining earlier, back in the day that effect was often just the natural pumping you got running a mix through a cheap compressor like an Alesis 3630..

Really big thing I've noticed since getting into impulse responses is the h/w reverbs you used in the 90s sound SO much thicker and fatter .. You'd get big slap-back delays, then thick reverb, and all quite grainy .. And just getting Midiverb impulse responses has taken my Ableton mixes so much closer to the hardware sound than you'll ever get messing around with value emulators.
    milleborne likes this.
  4. tomm likes this.

Dreaddd Echo machine operator

Dreaddd

127 posts
    Since Apr 9, 2007
    mm not sure if there are still traces , as this was sold by the publishers agency i was working with at the time through MP3.com Vitaminic and all those networks that actually -most of them- didnt survive the advent of digital distribution 2.0 phase, when the digital distribution as we know today started to creep in..let me do a quick check and ill be back at you...
    anyway, yes it was fun, particularly when it was in the mixing and arrangement phase..sound editing tho , apart from the mangling from inside the sampler, it wasnt only because it took ages to move audio from one source to the other to edit and then back again...
    i even tried for a while the MIDI SDS transfer of the S950..holy christ on a bike, like 30 seconds or such for moving a hihat sample from the Akai to Soundforge..if you had some pad sounds to transfer , well you could easily save some painful staring at the monitor by going and make a coffee...and probably you d get back while its still transferring :P

edit : i cant believe they are still trying to sell it on most of the main sites like applestore or googleplay...
    im sure it wont sell a single copy , but i would be amazed anyway if ANY of the money would come this way...

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Daredevil_In_pressionism?id=Bbofaagimrqedvzoehnw7lipjpq
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    tomm likes this.
  5. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    got an emu e4xt with max ram for sale... $500 plus shipping. instant 90s sound
  6. index0

index0

index0

3,503 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2006
    imagine being only able to work on 1 tune at time without losing all your settings :love:
  7. milleborne and luthatron like this.

sato

sato

sato

871 posts
    Since Sep 1, 2008
    I used Steinberg when Cubase wasn't a thing! Pro12 ftw
    milleborne and luthatron like this.
  8. Dreaddd Echo machine operator

Dreaddd

127 posts
    Since Apr 9, 2007
    that was actually one of the downside for me , particularly if you are SLOOOOWWW developing tunes like myself...
    i wanted to bang out new ideas but i was stuck with desk being set for the tune i was actually mixing (and no, i NEVER had any tracks left free ...jeez i had even to use the tape input on the mixer to add some more ambiences using the crappy awe64 (the only thing i actually i used the PC audiowize, as it was nearly instant crash on most audio operations with my setup, so i totally ditched the audio part to avoid further problems...i still remember with shivers the audio undo on SX1 ..it was a bet..lets see if i can get back to the previous version without horrible crashes..or maybe not...like throwing a coin)
  9. sicduk likes this.

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    i used making waves
    sicduk likes this.
  10. Dreaddd Echo machine operator

Dreaddd

127 posts
    Since Apr 9, 2007
    im not that far but i was using both Cubase on Atari ST and Cubase GS on the pc, before going to Cubase 5 and then SX
    i still have somewhere Cubase GS ..it fits in a damn floppy :P ..i think something like 800kbytes or such zipped
  11. sato

sato

sato

871 posts
    Since Sep 1, 2008
    Did you ever manage to work out how to use the interactive phrase synthesiser?

....or what it even was for that matter!?
  12. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    i had cubase on my mac classic. i used the phrase synth but it didnt produce much that was usable to be honest
  13. sato

sato

sato

871 posts
    Since Sep 1, 2008
    Never understood why they dropped the midi mixer functionality. Was really useful for editing synths.
  14. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    yep but haha you dont need it now. youre supposed to have all the new stuff lol
  15. VACANT MIND and R0llin like this.

Forthryte Samplist

Forthryte

Forthryte Samplist

1,292 posts
    Since May 28, 2014
  16. index0

index0

index0

3,503 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2006
    yeah was annoying especially lack of tracks but forced you to learn how to "finish" a tune
  17. HouseAddict, Drumdeaf and mundos like this.

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

3,633 posts
    Since Aug 1, 2016
    Also remember when you could only store samples on 700kb disks? You might have a lot, but it wasn't like you had a gig's worth.

Really big difference with hardware was you'd know the samples you had inside out.

Today you get someone uploading a 12gb sample library, and people grab it and say "cheers". You're never going to get the same connection with the sounds you're using .. Imagine by the time The Prodigy had done two Top 10 albums, and countless remixes, his whole sample library was probably 2-300mb?
    HouseAddict, Drumdeaf and mundos like this.
  18. Dreaddd Echo machine operator

Dreaddd

127 posts
    Since Apr 9, 2007
    actually no, i tried some times but i eventually gave up..
    i used a lot of the midi fx page tho for simulating delays or chorus not having the actual outboard effect unit
    also like playing the same sample twice phasing the sound without having a phaser or thru the midi fx for use fast repeats or slapback echoes fakes ..
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  19. Ray Dalio likes this.

milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

84 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    totes this !!!!

i think Future Music 57 and the same 15 seconds worth of pro-one bass samples made all of Optical's Metalheadz, 31, and early Virus records...
    Ray Dalio likes this.
  20. VACANT MIND

VACANT MIND

VACANT MIND

27 posts
    Since Sep 26, 2011
    Appreciate all the input, I really don't see the point in using my software to replicate that old hardware sound, may as well just buy the hardware innit :teeth:

Pretty much just set on an EMU 6400 sampler that seems the most fun for me with the least amount of hassle (I hope) and going by what a lot of you have said it'll give me that 'vintage' sound without too much meddling.

All I want to do really is mangle bass sounds I've made in the EMU then politely pass them back to Cubase via my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 sound card. In my head I'm just imagining the EMU sat on my desk with a couple of discreet wires connecting it all up, it's not gonna be as simple as that is it though :smashed: it's gonna be some piss boiling trial of patience just to get it working.

Not too bothered about the expense but I am very concerned about reliability or lack thereof. Essentially I just want to see what the EMU will do to drum loops and sustained bass hits and stabs I've bounced out of my synths , they'll all be at the correct tempo so it's not like the EMU will need to sync up to my Cubase in any way I was just assuming I could load up the ZIP disc with my WAV files, push a few buttons become better than Optical then send it to Cubase and go cash those fucking cheques.
  21. tomm

tomm

tomm

184 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2005
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you man, just starting to get into the hardware, loving it so far.

I'd say - if you have space, get an old mixer too, they can beef the sound up a lot before you put it back in the box just with the gains and EQ
  22. milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

84 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015

just sample your way into the sampler mate... and mangle away.
  23. tomm

tomm

tomm

184 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2005

I just checked FM 57 CD for those samples (I have a bag of them) and couldn't see them on there?
  24. tomm

tomm

tomm

184 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2005
    there are some pretty tasty samples on there nonetheless
  25. tomm and Ray Dalio like this.

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

3,647 posts
    Since May 26, 2004
    On point. I keep saying this on here to largely deaf ears, it's far better to just dump your massive sample bank and start again collecting. Just the purely logistical side of it would mean the amount of time you spent listening (and I'm literally meaning listening, no time to contemplate) getting through 12gb , as you say it'd be very hard to know all them well.

id much rather go round and sample things that I enjoy or that inspire me, then when I go to make a tune there's a solid basis rather than using dnb-pianoloopetc20111.wav cause I happened to fling the scroll and it landed randomly on that sound. I just don't believe that it's physically possible to catalog them in your mind after a certain amount. You may have rough ideas where samples are but end up forever searching if you have too many
    tomm and Ray Dalio like this.
  26. tomm likes this.

sato

sato

sato

871 posts
    Since Sep 1, 2008
    I say get the hardware. It is way less productive but way more fun.

...well, if that is your idea of fun.
    tomm likes this.
  27. sato

sato

sato

871 posts
    Since Sep 1, 2008
    That is still one of my favourite things to do. You can get such tight control of the chorusing with midi delay. Really hard to get the same effect working with audio.
  28. HouseAddict likes this.

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

3,633 posts
    Since Aug 1, 2016
    There's this thing – I always assumed everyone got it – where when you get a new computer, you're at your most creative and ambitious for about the next 6-12 months .. Then it tails off.

And I think that's 90% just shedding all the rubbish we accumulate and getting a fresh start .. Worst thing you can do is just migrate all your old samples and plugins as soon as you get a new computer.

[​IMG]
    HouseAddict likes this.
  29. tomm likes this.

milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

84 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    lol

:teeth:

its some of those cds. memory is foggy, and collection incomplete. but always fun to flick thru them and find something you recognize... jungle warefare stuff too...

always looking to pad out the collection tho. if you're willing to rip and up?
    tomm likes this.
  30. milleborne likes this.

tomm

tomm

tomm

184 posts
    Since Oct 28, 2005
Production