How did DnB get produced pre 'in the box era' ?

Production | Jan 10, 2017

1. deleted likes this.

milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

65 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    its not that much harder tbh... midi output to the sampler to trigger notes, and output from the sampler to your desk/daw for sound. loads of tips in the emu megathread, but i'd almost avoid reading those. and usability is often made out to be much more complicated than it is in practice. the emu manual is a good read too--simple as they come.
    deleted likes this.
  2. milleborne likes this.

Uplink

Uplink

Uplink

76 posts
    Since May 31, 2006
    Answering some of the OPs q's
    I'm sure some producers could have been splitting bass sounds into 3 frequency bands, but generally most people were splitting into subs and tops. The e-mus have a 36db low pass that was used all the time for subs. The hi part was usually created by filtering the same sound with the 24db Hi pass. Standard practice was to get a bass sound and then distort it by using the gain function in the e-mu's sample edit menu. This allows you to normalise the sample and then add up to 50db of additional gain (usually 10-20db does the trick).

What a lot of people forget is that by the late 90s d&b was like an arms race everybody was trying to outdo everybody else and most of the big producers had a fair bit of outboard. Most of the bigger produers were using different variations of the 8 bus mixers (mackie, soundcraft, soundtracs etc.) and these allowed you to group channels and even use the groups for parallel compression. Most of the 8 bus desks also gave you 6 aux sends for fx and had inserts on the inputs,groups and master. Was it as sophisticated as a modern daw? of course not, but not as primitive as some would have you believe, the big limiting factor really was the cost. I bought an e-mu 6400 ultra in 2000 and found myself in the crazy situation of not being able to afford any effects or compressors:laughing: So I actually used to make music without any reverb or compression :cry:
    milleborne likes this.
  3. Ray Dalio likes this.

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

3,558 posts
    Since May 26, 2004
    Haha, that's totally it. I was guilty of it too - tbh one day me and a very good matey from here were chatting samples organisation/systems. So following on from his discussion about methods i went through and cleaned > result is ive dumped 90% of the crap stuff i dont use, organised folders bettter and i'm so much faster, and left with samples I like and use/want to use. I've 'reset' my sample dir a few times.

If you constantly download samples you start to bank up a backlog of ones "you'll get to one day" :ana:. Clean slate ftw, bring the plugins in AS you need them i reckon, likewise with samples
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Ray Dalio likes this.
  4. milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

65 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    yea proper seeeeeeeeeeck :slayer:
  5. luthatron likes this.

arkos

arkos

arkos

151 posts
    Since Oct 3, 2006
    I used Cubase back in the day, remember using the first Vst-i like it was yesterday thinking holy shit this is cool. Steinberg Neon :D
    https://www.kvraudio.com/product/neon-by-steinberg
    luthatron likes this.
  6. arkos likes this.

luthatron \o/

luthatron

luthatron \o/

53,674 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    It was neon! I thought it was but wasn't sure. Pile of shit.
    arkos likes this.
Production