How to make the kick and snare sound right together?

Production | Feb 16, 2017

1. optimistuk

optimistuk

optimistuk

1 posts
    Since Feb 16, 2017
    Hi guys,

When making drum & bass, I quite often find that I can't get the kick and the snare to sound right together. The kick is a nice rich thump and the snare is a clean mix-cutting crisp snare and both drums sound amazing alone.

However when I play them in a beat together, they just sound disconnected and it really sounds like I just stuck any old kick with any old snare.

Is that any trick or tip in getting them to sound tied together? I have already tried compression and using izotope alloy and stuff but still no luck :(

Thanks my dudes
  2. deleted

deleted

deleted

193 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2010
    I sometimes layer the snare over the kick. then eq out all the low info of that layered snare so it becomes like a top layer to the kick. That way both elements have the same top end character and space leaving the mid and low of the kick to thump as they were before.
  3. BleakRef likes this.

luthatron \o/

luthatron

luthatron \o/

53,715 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    volume.
    EQ.
    tuning.

If it still needs something then putting them through a bus together works a charm.

EQ (low boost of 1bd round 100-200hz and a boost at the tops too)
    Compression (2dB reduction or so)
    Saturation (really mild)

Should help.
    BleakRef likes this.
  4. SKMA

SKMA

SKMA

66 posts
    Since Feb 22, 2015
    Yeah what Luthatron said, tuning & volume are key, also try sending them both to a bus with a subtle amount of HP reverb, just to glue them a bit
  5. Rob Gee Liberty

Rob Gee

Rob Gee Liberty

73 posts
    Since Jul 23, 2014
    As has been said adjust volume and tuning of each and get it so you are happy with it. I group them and then process the group and only process the kick or snare channels individually if necessary. I find that way they gel together much better. The more individual processing you do, the more disconnected they will sound.
  6. mundos, Claaart Kent, Mania and 8 others like this.

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio

3,086 posts
    Since Aug 1, 2016
    Use sounds that sound like they should go together.
    mundos, Claaart Kent, Mania and 8 others like this.
  7. luthatron \o/

luthatron

luthatron \o/

53,715 posts
    Since Feb 3, 2004
    Yeah that's pretty much it. I don't know if I tune stuff that much really in the scheme of things.
  8. mundos likes this.

djeast Quack Rejackt

djeast

djeast Quack Rejackt

89 posts
    Since Aug 11, 2011
    just re pitch them untill they fit
    mundos likes this.
  9. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,272 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    put a hi cut filter over ur master listen to the fundamental hit betwen kick snare and a sub on ur root. it's what needs to be right. N usually it comes down to note length so set ur adsr and alternate midi length and note start till it's a groove.
  10. 00Monarc I make neurofunk Garbage.

00Monarc

00Monarc I make neurofunk Garbage.

351 posts
    Since Jun 30, 2015
    I like to Get them hitting at corresponding semitones, bus them together, then a thin layer of Tube, HP distortion + verb. Then I run them through a Transient maker, then compressor, then a limiter at the very end. Record them and bounce it out

Also don't forget to Layer your snares. Look for freq that you like in different samples and Frankenstein them together until they sound good.

Thats all I got on kick + snare processing.
  11. satoribeats

satoribeats

satoribeats

85 posts
    Since Nov 8, 2010
    Kick should not have sub freq. Cut that out with eq. Use eq to boost key freq of your sounds. With an analyzer you can see where they hit. The resonate" freq" You should be also sidechaining to other sounds but if no freq are clashing you should be OK. layering snare is also key. Typically a clap and maybe two snares . one with a click transient and one you like the tail of. Make sure when layering you don't have any alias freq. Try flipping the polarity of the samples to see if they sit nicer. With live you can do this with utility I believe.
  12. BHK

BHK

BHK

957 posts
    Since Apr 10, 2008
    Where these drums come from?
  13. BleakRef Space Lord, Motherfucker

BleakRef

BleakRef Space Lord, Motherfucker

1,652 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    AND WHAT DO THEN?
  14. mundos In forest.

mundos

mundos In forest.

8,552 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
    Pitch them.
  15. random danish person likes this.

ian gates allergic to capital letters

ian gates

ian gates allergic to capital letters

117 posts
    Since Jun 14, 2016
    i disagree, often the sub frequencies are key for making kicks sound full. you can't just cut the sub out of all your kicks before further processing; consider what the track needs first.
    random danish person likes this.
  16. BHK

BHK

BHK

957 posts
    Since Apr 10, 2008
    Not sure as long as i can't hear his problem. For now, only Ray Delio's advice is best.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. random danish person fka wood

random danish person

random danish person fka wood

7,362 posts
    Since Jul 10, 2006
    Pick a kick and then answer it with a snare.

The kick is related to the bass choice or the other way around aswell - but the point is this further argues that kick comes before snare.

Although later on when the skeleton of the track is there, you have to be able to 'answer' everything that is going on with the snare by itself. (This is the same as saying the snare must be able to cut through in a way, but in my way the choice is picked in a sequence, so you know what to do when and take heed of what you have.)
  18. MrBaldwig and ED209 like this.

djeast Quack Rejackt

djeast

djeast Quack Rejackt

89 posts
    Since Aug 11, 2011
    MrBaldwig and ED209 like this.
  19. djeast Quack Rejackt

djeast

djeast Quack Rejackt

89 posts
    Since Aug 11, 2011
    I just noticed that loads of the computer music masterclasses have been taken down from youtube.
  20. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,272 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Anyone try both AD n Studio drummer yet? Think im gonna try AD today studio drummers ok. but u can't change much so gets bit boring.
  21. DustBrigade

DustBrigade

DustBrigade

469 posts
    Since Oct 21, 2014
    Sometimes a bit of the same efx ie tiny bits of saturation, verb does the trick. At times I care about tuning (ie kick can be 100 hz and snare 200 or something else "related" musically to what is needed from the track) but mostly not, just trust my ears to what is viby.
Production