I'd like to talk about white on white crime in america compared to europe.

Off-Topic | May 20, 2015

1. NUTTAH imo

NUTTAH

NUTTAH imo

11,075 posts
    Since Apr 12, 2001
  2. random danish person fka wood

random danish person

random danish person fka wood

7,165 posts
    Since Jul 10, 2006
    why isn't rubber bullets more of a thing ?

is there a good reason for not using tear gas and similar instead of murder weapons other than the logic of 'bringing a knife to a gun fight' kind of thing ?
  3. random danish person likes this.

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

Gazoo

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

2,713 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2010
    Sadly, it boils down to legal repercussions. In self defense, any weapon should only be used if one has reason to believe that their life is in danger. If someone attacks you with every apparent intention of killing you, and you merely injure them, come the investigation and subsequent legal case it's their word against yours, and they can spin the story any way they please to seem like the victim. Similarly, if you choose to use a less than lethal weapon to defend your life, a prosecutor will invariably question why you chose to restrain yourself if you truly believed that your life was on the line. The tragedy here is that showing basic human compassion for a person who decided that they were more entitled to your life than you are will almost certainly land you with, at very least, an aggravated assault or attempted murder charge.
    random danish person likes this.
  4. random danish person fka wood

random danish person

random danish person fka wood

7,165 posts
    Since Jul 10, 2006
    Makes perfect ..... american ..sense!

It's that darn legislative nature of that market right below canada . . .

No, Im sorry thanks for the response.
    I thought it mightve been something like that.
  5. serjin likes this.

Jenn B Busted Teef Barbie

Jenn B

6,382 posts
    Since Aug 10, 2001
    Unfortunately, I don't think many countries would be happy with me just showing up with my stuff in a bunch of boxes.

Also, I do have a bit of a safe haven in Portland. It's a pretty progressive place. I like that my generation is starting to really get in positions of power and take a lot of the old fogey mentality out of the common conscious (in some part of the country). The gun thing though... even as crime is getting better in some places, I really don't remember this gun crazed mentality from when I was younger. And by gun crazed, I mean single-issue voters would would support a hedgehog for President if that hedgehog supported gun rights and would let them open carry a rocket launcher.
    serjin likes this.
  6. NUTTAH and GenXisT like this.

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

Gazoo

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

2,713 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2010
    Truthfully, America really does have a phenomenal educational system, and the professional opportunities offered through it's educational system are second to none. There's a reason that parents from countries across the world pay exorbitant sums to send their children to the U.S. for their education. However, through much of the country we also have certain groups and individuals who are constantly fighting to undermine fundamental education and progressing thinking in order to preserve values that are rooted in, although not necessarily dependent on, outdated and bunk information. Because of these people we get problems like college graduates and young professionals with a solid general education in modern biology who still don't understand evolution as a extant natural process. As far as I can gather, this fact isn't such an issue anywhere else in the civilized world, and much of the international scientific community views the American debate on the validity of evolution in the 21st century as an abysmal embarrassment.
    NUTTAH and GenXisT like this.
  7. GenXisT <snappy title here>

GenXisT

GenXisT <snappy title here>

48,653 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2005
    It's even more sinister than this... I will post a more comprehensive reply later... but rest assured that the blame is placed squarely on those you'd think I would blame it on... and you can see this shit being enacted in more places than just education.

It's probably the most disturbing thing I have ever been exposed to. It's literally pure evil. There's no other word for it.
  8. qwert678!!!! likes this.

Transient Energy S.A.I.N.T.

Transient Energy

Transient Energy S.A.I.N.T.

7,061 posts
    Since May 8, 2004
    :laughing::appl:
    qwert678!!!! likes this.
  9. GenXisT <snappy title here>

GenXisT

48,653 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2005
    right so here's the deal and just think about how fucking shitty this is.

Republicans are actively doing everything they possibly can to destroy the middle class. defunding education, stripping away rights of minorities and women and making it harder to vote, of all fucking things. but why? what's the motivation or reasoning behind this? why would anyone want to create a massive financial discrepancy?

the answer is sickening in its simplicity, really. where do people go when they have no resources, no opportunity, no perceived future and no hope?

yep. to fucking church. the only ones to stand to benefit from this shit is the church. they are behind all of it. strip away all social safety nets and where do people turn?

countries that have loads of social safety nets and opportunity have the least amount of religion. countries where this isn't the case are the most religious. empirically true.

they back the republicans 100% and they are actively politicking for them during services and contributing countless funds. the church and religion in general is on a massive decline here in the US. what other chance do they have to survive? none. they must destroy everything else so people run to them.

Cause the problem, become the solution. it's sick. it's fucking evil. and glaringly obvious.
  10. Gazoo Crescent Fresh

Gazoo

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

2,713 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2010
    To be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that the church and religion are declining in the US. If anything, they're getting stronger. Creationism has seen a significant resurgence in recent years, criticism against theism and theistic beliefs is met with increasing cries of intolerance, and attacks on conventional education and scientific progress (past and present) are becoming more prevalent and more publicized as intellectual debates, adding a false credibility to what is in actuality a lot of counterproductive, uninformative, and ultimately mindless entertainment.
  11. NUTTAH imo

NUTTAH

NUTTAH imo

11,075 posts
    Since Apr 12, 2001

just say it as it is

things are being privatised for the wealthy 1% fucking elite and they do need a system where education is dumbed down and history is changed to suit the money flow and media is manipulated by a small amount of wealthy investors into every bit of trouble going down

it is why even a twat like russell brand could resonate with the youth because they see it and they are too young to be bored by politics and need the quick info to rebel against while knowing they cant change shit

our generation has been generally apathetic and lazy to the rise of corporate change, and this is a huge change in history ... we all rely on how greedy the top dogs feel and how good of a day they are having depending where you are on teh scale

you dont need to be accused of being a conspiracy theorist to realise this now, it is staring us in the face
  12. Gazoo Crescent Fresh

Gazoo

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

2,713 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2010
    Most people like their information pre-packaged into convenient opinion bundles that they can grab on the go and simply whip out and snap together, no assembly required. They don't have the time to research the facts and get the details that ultimately provide a much clearer, and often much different understanding of a given situation. Because of this, pre-packaged opinion bundles have become a booming business, and twats like Russell Brand are simply marketing themselves toward particular demographics to cash in on the demand.
  13. GenXisT likes this.

qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

qwert678!!!!

4,990 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010

And if you're desperate, and looking for answers/hope and you see no other choice but to adopt some religious faith, then you open yourself up to be controlled. Who knows what you would be able to do in the name of religion.
    GenXisT likes this.
  14. GenXisT <snappy title here>

GenXisT

48,653 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2005
    look at the most recent PEW survey results. the "nones" are the fastest growing group. no religion or atheist. religion is getting pummeled. but right now, they have political power. this will change. people will realize that republicans and the religious right are fucking toxic
  15. GenXisT <snappy title here>

GenXisT

48,653 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2005
    precisely. like I said, it's fucking evil. when you control information, you control people. again, why would anyone be against net neutrality? oh, right, because the internet, if left unchecked, WILL be the end of religion as we know it.

but if you can block access to information....
  16. Gazoo Crescent Fresh

Gazoo

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

2,713 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2010
    Americans probably have among the least restricted access to information. The opposing edge is the amount of unregulated bullshit that's allowed to seep in.
  17. Gazoo likes this.

GenXisT

48,653 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2005
    yes, for now but they are actively trying to change this. they have no other way to survive.

who says no education?
    who denies proven facts?
    who actively promotes being fucking stupid as some sort of virtue?

writing is on the wall. they must be stopped. preferably destroyed.
    Gazoo likes this.
  18. GenXisT likes this.

qwert678!!!!

4,990 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010

BUT I don't think that the goal of republicans is to get people into churches, even if the use it as a tool. If anything, it seems that their aim is to pass legislation on behalf of the wealthy, which well, indirectly affects the middle class. My biggest issue with Democrats is that many, especially the minorities seem like the answer to many problems is for the government to do something about it. Citizens wanting the government to "fix it" will always never be happy with any results.
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    GenXisT likes this.
  19. artificial knox

artificial

artificial knox

21,125 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2002
    dead people cant testify.....
  20. artificial knox

artificial

artificial knox

21,125 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2002
    North Europe ie Denmark would like to have a word with you. In fact americans move to Scandinavia at an alarming rate, the only reason nordics move to america is because its cheap as dirt (compared to their own home) with better weather and they can steal top jobs from americans easily. LOL
  21. GenXisT likes this.

Aroplane

Aroplane

Aroplane

2,196 posts
    Since Dec 5, 2009
    No they want to privatize the education system and hand out vouchers. It's an extreme position, but it has more to do with teachers unions then a grand conspiracy to make everyone stupid. When we spend more on public education then a lot of European countries and get less out of it there's fundamental problem.
    GenXisT likes this.
  22. artificial likes this.

Jenn B

6,382 posts
    Since Aug 10, 2001
    It never ceases to amaze me how many outright lies I see in the media. Fox "News" being the prime example.

Love Scandinavia. Should have begged my old company to move me to Helsinki when I had the chance.
    artificial likes this.
  23. qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

qwert678!!!!

4,990 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010
    True, but these days, you just can't rely on one source for all your informational needs. Largely, to get the whole picture of something, or to get as many pieces to the puzzle there is, you gotta utilize various sources. Tools from books, to credible magazines and their articles, to the internet, etc.

Just that, all of that takes time and there are only a few interested in sourcing said knowledge. Seems like the rest is just all sitting back waiting for TL:DR summaries.

Laziness trumps all and it's a lot easier to complain (not you in particular, just saying) than actually sourcing shit out yourself, let alone try to actually change something.

Why not let the other person do it.

Hence the problem.

IMO.
  24. Aroplane

Aroplane

Aroplane

2,196 posts
    Since Dec 5, 2009
    I usually just pick a bunch of different ones so I can be mad all day. :angry:
  25. serjin likes this.

Jenn B

6,382 posts
    Since Aug 10, 2001
    Not saying I do, but a lot of others do. People turn on that crap and watch it for hours and hours on end. Crazy people yelling lies all the time, and they never hear any other sides to the argument.
    serjin likes this.
  26. Aroplane

Aroplane

Aroplane

2,196 posts
    Since Dec 5, 2009
    Both MSNBC and Fox News are party fluffers. The only thing worth watching on MSNBC is morning joe because occasionally they act like actual journalists.
  27. Jenn B likes this.

qwert678!!!!

4,990 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010

Of course. If my reply sound like it was directed at you, then my mistake. What I wrote isn't true for everyone, but given all the shit that's happening, I think it's true for many.

MSNBS, Fox, CNN, all of them really.
    Jenn B likes this.
  28. qwert678!!!! likes this.

Jenn B

6,382 posts
    Since Aug 10, 2001
    No problem.

Some people's attention spans are so short, and curiosity so low about current events.
    qwert678!!!! likes this.
  29. artificial knox

artificial

artificial knox

21,125 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2002
    isnt that where Fanu is from? I remember talking to him on aim years ago, he hated it. He said people weren't friendly, winters were long and cold and it would get dark by 3pm. That probably explains why he was trying to marry that one chick Faakjoo back in the days :teeth:

Denmark is probably more my style. They get free University. I'll gladly pay high taxes for free medical and free uni, that is amazing.
  30. eventualdecline Smothered Hope

eventualdecline

eventualdecline Smothered Hope

9,970 posts
    Since Sep 4, 2001
    Man I hope he dodged that bullet :laughing:
Off-Topic