Lessons From Dom ???

Production | Jan 5, 2017

1. phreeky likes this.

Logical impulse

Logical impulse

Logical impulse

60 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2013
    Years ago there was a tread intitled "Lessons from Dom" I believe. Searched for it and can't seem to find it. Does anybody know if it's still out there? Or can anybody share anything you may remember from it? Below are some notes I came across that I had from the thread I took years ago.

Lessons from Dom

Apogee sound card

Kontakt 3

logic/cubase,a fast computer,a turntable, a decent set of active studio monitors,and shit loads of old second hand vinyl to sample.... i would totally imerse my self into the history of recording, and making music.....an online subscription to sound on sound magasine would be cool, their articles on how classic tracks were made and recorded are very inspiring.....

viruses and junos are nice but still digital i'd still prefer a sequential circuits pro one , a prophet 5 or maybe an alesis andromeda......some of the newer software synths are getting pretty close; like the minimonster and massive,but i've still heard them both make some pretty nasty digital noises....

Processing sounds through guitar pedals (big muff)

I might put an eq to lift the top end a bit but normally i try and get the mix right without ! I leave enough headroom so it doesn't clip on the daw master out/s then hit my desk pre's hard to get it louder and record back into the computer at 16 bit
    phreeky likes this.
  2. phreeky and sicduk like this.

Logical impulse

Logical impulse

Logical impulse

60 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2013
    Nobody remembering this????
    phreeky and sicduk like this.
  3. Doos, Rezika 2.0, H-Arms and 13 others like this.

Dom and Roland

Dom and Roland

Dom and Roland

1,083 posts
    Since Jul 18, 2004
    good advice no doubt :badteeth:
    Doos, Rezika 2.0, H-Arms and 13 others like this.
  4. Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

92 posts
    Since May 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. sicduk and DJ_Klame like this.

Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

92 posts
    Since May 2, 2014
    "no offence intended to anyone.....but there seems to be a few rather vague questions about somewhat common engineering knowledge....and i wonder whether its people looking for a quick fix....because there are none.......i know from experience it is all to easy to obsess about how to do things rather than just getting on with it.......

i'm sure at some point lots of you have thought....."if i only had this set of plug ins or i knew how to do that trick, my goal of a sick track would be that much easier to acheive,there's no point working on a track seriously until then".....thats all bollox,you just have to sit there and churn it out otherwise all your left with is a neat sample library,loads of plugins and no finished tracks!

There is no one way to do anything creatively or from an engineering perspective....lots of paths lead to the same goal.....each has its advantages and disadvantages....there is no one set way to eq or compress a bass drum ,snare ,or bass as they are all different......

Half the problem with this scene and many others is that everyone does everything the same as everyone else.....which in itself leads to it becoming stagnant and unoriginal.....perhaps thats why 90 per cent of the tunes i hear these days sound the same to me.....

Try making a track no one has made before,with a rythem and bass you've never heard before.....as long as its at 170-176 ,its well mixed and makes you tap ya foot , nod ya head,jump around or screw ya face up.......some people will like it,and this bloody scene might evolve a bit......"

-Dom
    sicduk and DJ_Klame like this.
  6. Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

92 posts
    Since May 2, 2014
    best bit of advice in there
  7. Bare Grillz likes this.

Dom and Roland

Dom and Roland

Dom and Roland

1,083 posts
    Since Jul 18, 2004
    Brilliant advice! Doho_O
    Bare Grillz likes this.
  8. mundos

mundos

mundos

8,270 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
    It is good advice to be fair.

People always want to know the technique to get a good mixdown but they don't want to be told it's just practice and learning to use your ears.
  9. mmghost likes this.

Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

Havok [and Disorder]

92 posts
    Since May 2, 2014
    Some people on this forum spend so much time trying to make X sound or want X gear or plugin, or want the secret tips to make everything sound amazing or whatever, if they spent half as much time actually making tunes and getting to know the tools they have they might find what they were looking for.

Saying that though, some really interesting information in there. Inspired me to try out some new things and get more creative.
    mmghost likes this.
  10. Bare Grillz

Bare Grillz

Bare Grillz

70 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    As much as I agree with this, I also think that it is extremely helpful to the learning process to understand how people make things. I've learnt many times that way, by going through tutorials and understanding how people made that sound, so i can use certain elements to make my own. One thing i learnt from a tutorial about an alix perez style bass sound is to add envelopes/modulation to things i wouldn't normally. Now I've found new ways of experimenting and being creative.

The point I'm making is that art is always a replica to begin with, until you find you're own style, and learn new things to create your own original pieces!
  11. mmghost

mmghost

mmghost

296 posts
    Since Oct 14, 2015
    the technical bits get discussed so much on the interwebs it's ridiculous. i guess the reason being is b/c they can be discussed, emulated, copied. i'm as guilty as the next. what doesn't get discussed near as much is composition and the art itself of writing a tune and making something unique... taking the sounds to the next level, all that. it's esoteric and quite frankly, sometimes the music theory part isn't as fun to talk about.

it's a balance. b/c to be fair the majority of what people want to hear nowadays, including labels, is highly-polished dnb. even if the track has some really cool bits i find it hard to keep up the pace with the stuff getting released from a technical standpoint.
  12. Dom and Roland

Dom and Roland

Dom and Roland

1,083 posts
    Since Jul 18, 2004
    In all seriousness, it was interesting to see my words from however long ago it was, echo exactly what i still feel. Quite refreshing. I also agree with a lot of the above points about needing skillz. But i would still say production skills are fuk all without originality and emotion!
  13. Havok [and Disorder] likes this.

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,576 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    it takes someone like you to say it before everyone thumbs ups you lol
    Havok [and Disorder] likes this.
Production