Mastering by Fanu

Production | Aug 12, 2014

1. Paravoid, sicduk, Salient and 8 others like this.

Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    [​IMG]

Hi there! You probably know some of my frantic breakbeat D&B productions I do as Fanu.

I offer mixing and mastering services to producers.

I have always produced all of my music myself. I also master all of my own music these days. I’ve also learned a lot about mixing by learning mastering.

I have been listening to drum&bass and related bass music for over 20 years; I know how the music is supposed to sound, and with my service, I’m ready to make your song stand up to the commercial ones and competition.

In mastering, I treat and polish the master file and make it as balanced, clear, punchy, fat, and polished as I can.
    In mixing, do the all of the aforementioned, but before mastering, I mix the song from provided stems (separate tracks).

More info: http://fanumusic.com/mastering/

Hear examples of before/after on Soundcloud.
    Also notice that all the Soundcloud reposts on the page are handled yours truly, so please check the whole page instead of just the player.

PRICING:
    (VAT is added in EU)
    • mastering 1–4 songs: €50 per song (turnaround time 1–3 days)
    • mastering 5 songs or more: €45 per song
    • mixing+mastering a song from stems: €110
    [batch discounts always for albums / 4+ songs – case-specific]

Just as any legal business, I am required by law to add VAT to the prices if 1) you’re a client in the EU and 2) are not VAT-registered.

I can provide before/after examples on request.

Those willing to get their songs loud and clear can contact me by emailing me: [email protected]
    You can kick it all off by sending me a link to a .wav/.aiff file with no limiting at all on the master. Leave some headroom – any headroom is fine.

Actual feedback from clients here.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Paravoid, sicduk, Salient and 8 others like this.
  2. random danish person fka wood

random danish person

random danish person fka wood

7,563 posts
    Since Jul 10, 2006
    sweet.

Do you prefer mastering genres that are similar to your work, are you kind of open to anything or is it more just a dream job?
  3. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    All genres are OK!
    Treated everything from ambient to pop, metal to dubstep, hiphop to DNB.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. random danish person fka wood

random danish person

random danish person fka wood

7,563 posts
    Since Jul 10, 2006
  5. Different Animal likes this.

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Just finished mastering a 90s style hip hop album. Beefed it up loads, making it way warmer and easier on the ears than the somewhat cold original mixdowns. Another happy customer.
    Different Animal likes this.
  6. Different Animal

Different Animal

Different Animal

8,961 posts
    Since Aug 19, 2012
    @Fanu

Which Tape Saturator(s) do you like?
  7. Different Animal likes this.

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    As for tape, Slate Digital's "Virtual Tape Machine" is my favorite.
    Also just got Nebula 3 even though I'm not deep enough with it to say much (got it yesterday!), I'll say I was blown away with some of its tape emus and I know I'll be using them (hell, the old crusty cassette tape is so dope, too…perfect for hip hop!)
  8. Different Animal likes this.

antistatikk

antistatikk

antistatikk

832 posts
    Since Feb 23, 2005
    Absolute truth!
    [​IMG]
    This guy set me back 3Euros but certainly does his job soundwise.
    Only problem ist, that the motor is not very precise and the speed will vary.
    If i record a loop of 8 or 16 bars and re-record it into my daw, i will have pretty big problems re aligning the track to the project tempo etc.
    So mostly i use this thing to record master tracks for that really nice cassette sound.
  9. Different Animal

Different Animal

Different Animal

8,961 posts
    Since Aug 19, 2012
    @Fanu

Nebula3 Pro looks really tempting. Has no 64 bit AU support yet though.
  10. philliez It's the police motherfucker!!

philliez

philliez It's the police motherfucker!!

817 posts
    Since Sep 7, 2007
    I highly recommend Mr. Fanu's mastering services :icon13:
  11. sin808

sin808

sin808

626 posts
    Since Jun 24, 2001
    Just finishing up a track this weekend. I might have to fire you off an email. :slayer:
  12. Different Animal likes this.

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Phew! Got thru all the mastering work that was on the desk. That was a lot of music.Keep me busy, though! (I'll be unavailable Fri–Sun this week).

"Only pay if you like the result" has been my principle. I also like being honest, so I'll say I've only had only customer so far that hasn't been satisfied. But we're working on that, and everything can and should be discussed if you're not happy (e.g., in the past, I've had to ask professional mastering engineers for a new take of my premaster myself).

Here's a few comments from a few clients.
    -Many thanks man, my EP is going to sound much better now and I feel like it's worth making music again because I can get the engineering to an acceptable level. Feeling optimistic about getting noticed by bigger labels.
    -Just had a listen and this is sounding a lot better! The high end 'rings' less and sounds more crisp. The low end seems more controlled and the kicks seem to punch through a bit better. Overall loudness / dynamics are good too, nice! What did you do to it?
    -Very impressed with the quality of Fanu/Janne's mastering service - definitely added an extra level of power and definition to the track I sent him. He was also very helpful with tips on how to improve my mixes in future. Highly recommended.
    -Fanu's advice is excellent, extremely helpful. It's the most detailed feedback I've ever had.
    -Shout out to FanuJanne for the quality mastering treatment on my tune called ”Acid Hop”! Simply FATTER
    -Thanks for the masters, they really improved things. Can't beat that analogue sound. Tighter low end, polished highs and gelled together nicely. Big up!
    -Thanks for your mastering service and mixing tips! Just had a response from a label, debut release on Sept 28th!
    -Incredible work. I'm really interested in what you did to it.
    -Janne has really awesome service and a fast turnaround.
    -Thanks very much for the work so far, the tunes are definitely sounding more solid with your efforts and I am learning based on your suggestions.
    -Your input on our tunes a year or two ago was very helpful, and i'd recommend you for sure. We were going to send you some more stuff recently but then it all got signed haha.
    -We're really happy with the way the Goreteks masters turned out! Drums were crisp.. bass was weighty. Big up from S8!
    -I highly recommend Mr. Fanu's mastering services!
    -Oh yes man indeed the sub is fatter, shaking my room in a nice way
    -Yeah its clearly better. i am happy with the result, cuz it could have been really worse.
    [this was about a track whose .wav was pretty "damaged", and the producer couldn't go back to the song to fix it as he didn't have it anymore]
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  13. Phobic Dubz

Phobic Dubz

Phobic Dubz

256 posts
    Since Aug 25, 2011
    This sounds very tempting. may have something in the next couple weeks worth mastering.
  14. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Phew. I've been fairly busy since I posted this; must've mastered some 30 tunes.

Here's one I mastered for Somejerk; it's his bootleg remix of Q-Bass's "Deepa".
  15. grammer

grammer

grammer

598 posts
    Since Mar 22, 2014
    @Fanu what are the chances of getting one track done as a demo? I would then happily write an in depth review with some before and afters, post for the dogs, and pay for 3 more tracks to be done...? :) love your work!
  16. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Hmmm. Currently there's enuff work on the desk that I don't "have" to do pro bono work, and you're not the first one to ask, TBH.
    But I'll glad to give it a shot if you're willing to pay for the work; I'm only charging the client if they're happy with the work.
    I've mastered approx. 35 tracks so far, and there's only been one client who didn't want to pay.
  17. grammer

grammer

grammer

598 posts
    Since Mar 22, 2014
    @Fanu wasnt trying to blag you up son, just thought I would offer, you know good reviews are priceless! do you have standard working rates? per track by any chance?Like I say im a fan of your work production wise so keen to learn a bit more from you! :)
  18. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    :smile:

As I say in the initial post, my current pricing is as follows:
    -mastering: 36 EUR + vat per song
    -mastering + feedback / suggestions for improvement: 40 EUR per track
    -batch discounts do apply

I know the 14 EUR extra may seem a lot for feedback + improvement suggestions (especially if it's just like "Turn the cymbal down by -3 dB"), but there's definitely been cases where we've been bouncing the master back and forth and I've done a lot of writing and guidance, and TBH there's been some cases where I've felt it's not worth doing for 15 EUR extra.

You can also buy just the comments service if you wish: I take a listen and tell you how to improve the mix.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  19. grammer

grammer

grammer

598 posts
    Since Mar 22, 2014
    Fanu I dont think 15 euro is bad for advice like that, as practically, and correct me if I am wrong, but like you say it can have a dramatic effect on the end product surely? my only concern would be paying for advice and it not being needed.would you suggest this is a better way of working, to go with the 40 euro option, and if you decide the mixdown is acceptable, we just proceed with mastering?
  20. Adam Mills Sunder Dnb

Adam Mills

Adam Mills Sunder Dnb

107 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    Got an EP aiming to be finished by the end of the month...very tempted to try the mastering service you're offering Fanu, the Somejerk track sounds sweeeet!!
  21. Paravoid, grammer and philliez like this.

marksolitaire

marksolitaire

marksolitaire

1,344 posts
    Since Aug 30, 2010
    Fanu's advice is excellent, extremely helpful. It's the most detailed feedback I've ever had.
    Paravoid, grammer and philliez like this.
  22. marksolitaire likes this.

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Thank you very much, Mark!
    Good stuff you've making – keep it up :)
    marksolitaire likes this.
  23. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Thanks for the compliment. Had fun beefing up that track.
  24. Kaegee subtle butler

Kaegee

Kaegee subtle butler

1,048 posts
    Since Jun 18, 2005
    I understand if this isn't doable out of respect for the artists, but could you possibly post some before/after examples?
  25. grammer

grammer

grammer

598 posts
    Since Mar 22, 2014
    bigup man I will be in touch a bit later in the month :) @Fanu
  26. Kaegee likes this.

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    I could ask some clients, but honestly, most of the tracks I've done will end up getting released sooner or later, and the producers don't want the clips to go out yet. Maybe I could send some short clips privately to potential clients…or something.

In other news, mastered my first-ever movie trailer clip today…that was different. Some room for creativity!
    Kaegee likes this.
  27. fragile aka Coyote

fragile

fragile aka Coyote

1,345 posts
    Since Jan 31, 2007
    glad the mastering is going well for your Fanu. I might have to see about sending you my next track to have a crack at when its done. Would be good to get some detailed feedback on my mix downs as I have no clue about how good or bad and they are, well I know they are not brilliant, but it would be good to find out why :)
  28. Full Monty

Full Monty

Full Monty

645 posts
    Since Mar 31, 2014
    Working on it! Give me two more weeks Fanu ;)
  29. Meckler likes this.

Fanu

11,328 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
  30. Meckler

Meckler

Meckler

511 posts
    Since Oct 12, 2008
Production