Old school current value

Production | Mar 17, 2017

1. chris.. likes this.

Dolphc

Dolphc

Dolphc

2 posts
    Since Mar 15, 2017
    hey guys long time board stalker first time posting! Before I get ripped for asking how to make stuff like this I'll just say I'm not looking to cop cv's style, I'm simply mesmerized by this sound he use to have back in the day and I'm in awe and bewilderment when trying to sketch out what's going on! I can hear hints of the source sounds in the drums for example but am truly lost trying to think how he is colouring the drums that way (I'm aware a lot of it is just nutty compression) I'm also keeping in mind this is before he was using addictive drums so I'm guessing they're breaks he's built up from various one shots. I also know he relies heavily on vocoders and this example would be before vocodex was released so again just guessing he's using the old fl studio vocoder! Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Current Value - The Unspoken
    chris.. likes this.
  2. loweyes

loweyes

loweyes

17 posts
    Since May 13, 2015
    Big tune. But not oldschool Current Value. this is oldschool Current Value.

Current Value - Nebular Mission
  3. Tranzitive

Tranzitive

Tranzitive

1,029 posts
    Since Feb 7, 2007
  4. tomm and Dolphc like this.

Doc Boy Doc H

Doc Boy

Doc Boy Doc H

3,983 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2008
    tomm and Dolphc like this.
  5. BleakRef likes this.

Dolphc

Dolphc

Dolphc

2 posts
    Since Mar 15, 2017
    These are all awesome tracks and even the old stuff is still imbued with a certain quality of uniqueness, I remember the first time I heard the kicks and snares on his frequency hunt album and was sold instantly (still have that on vinyl to his day) the amazing ambient sounds layered on top only sweetened the deal and added to the wounderously mysterious vibes I got from his tracks!

In particular the snare in knife sharpening instantly caught my ear back in the day, it sounds like a 909 snare pitched up and then has some wave shaping or some kind of fold distortion on it

Current Value - Knifesharpening (Frequency Hunt...
    BleakRef likes this.
  6. Dolphc likes this.

BleakRef Space Lord, Motherfucker

BleakRef

1,757 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    That snare is so great. I've been trying to reverse engineer it for years.
    Dolphc likes this.
  7. Dolphc likes this.
    Basically....boosting the low end (for the thump) and top+high mids (for the attack and tone) then really heavy compression, with a slow attack to allow a big click through at the start of the sample. Then into a limiter/clipper to bring the overall level down and get rid of the big transient whilst retaining the punch. Obviously having a really good ear for it, picking the right samples to start off with etc helps
    Dolphc likes this.
  8. Dolphc likes this.

Mindfox cyberfunk 2077

Mindfox

Mindfox cyberfunk 2077

758 posts
    Since Jul 2, 2011
    That snare's ridiculous. Almost sounds like heavily processed beatboxing.
    Dolphc likes this.
  9. Dolphc likes this.

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

19 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2016

It's a 909 snare through a rectifier pedal.maybe not an actual 909 snare,but it's a derivative of one.the important part is the rectifying anyway.i do a lot of Techno with guitar pedals so i'm familiar with the timbre that rectifiers emit when you stick certain source sounds through them.i could look for a plugin i guess.there's bound to be some rectifier based plugins in guitar software and that
    Dolphc likes this.
  10. Tranzitive and freeradical8 like this.

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

19 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2016
    Never heard of Current Value before,really liking the top tune.anymore like that?.reminds me of Regis and Surgeon that Birmingham Techno stuff.proper moody and that.almost industrial

I guess i'm wrong thinking Drum&Bass isn't all just cut up breaks and reggae vocal snippets :teeth:
    Tranzitive and freeradical8 like this.
  11. Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

Noise-Signal

Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

2,785 posts
    Since Apr 2, 2014
    Current Value - The Unspoken
  12. Mean Teeth likes this.

2332s

2332s

2332s

420 posts
    Since Dec 23, 2010
    There is an expansion for Addictive drums with CV style drums that are almost mix ready...
    Mean Teeth likes this.
  13. BleakRef Space Lord, Motherfucker

BleakRef

1,757 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    Rectifying distortion?
  14. BleakRef likes this.

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

19 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2016
    Dont know mate.i'm gonna go out on a limb and hazard a guess that rectifier pedals do rectifying distortion:twothumbs:
    BleakRef likes this.
  15. BleakRef Space Lord, Motherfucker

BleakRef

1,757 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    I asked for clarity because a rectifier is specific part of a guitar amp which turns AC current into DC current. It doesn't generally have an effect on the sound of a guitar per se (it's not an audio component so much as a power one) but it does contribute to the overall sound of an amp, particularly around how compressed it feels. Valve rectifiers tend to make the whole guitar amp 'sag' at high power operation, which makes the whole amp sputter and almost die, and some people love (especially stoner rock bands) it; whereas solid state ones are more efficient and more immediately responsive across the dynamic range. So a rectifier pedal doesn't make much sense based on that. But there is an amp called a Triple Rectifier, made by Mesa Boogie, which has a very characteristic modern gain structure. Almost fizzy but very broad across the frequency spectrum. I wonder if that's the sort of pedal you're referring to - something which emulates the Triple Rec.
  16. Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

19 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2016
    it's a Wampler TripleWreck..i'm just going off what i was told when i bought the thing.your time could have been better spent doing literally anything else.that is all gobbledygook to me mate:confused:.i just heard the snare the person who posted liked in the Current Value tune and it sounded like a familiar sound i get out of that pedal.just connecting the dots,it didn't come from a position of know how.i'm generally not that clued up on all this stuff,and i don't think i need to be either.well,i get by anyway:tea:
  17. newb

newb

newb

29 posts
    Since Tuesday
    :twothumbs:
  18. Havok [and Disorder] likes this.

BleakRef

1,757 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    I wasn't having a pop mate, just thinking aloud - there's no such thing as a rectifier pedal so it's worth clarifying what you meant. The wampler is a great pedal, they do a really good Orange emulation too. If anyone's interested in trying to replicate this in software, most guitar software has a Triple Rec emulator on it - it'll be the one with the metal grille for a front panel, as the old Mesa Boogie amps were famous for using that. Very dated now but look pretty cool in a 90s way.
    Havok [and Disorder] likes this.
  19. freeradical8 and Beardemgrillz like this.

Tranzitive

Tranzitive

Tranzitive

1,029 posts
    Since Feb 7, 2007

pretty much any current value tune from around 2007/8 will sounds similar. Also check out Donny and Limewax.

Would highly recommend old-ish Counterstrike too. check out their From Beyond the Grave and Insubordination albums, as well as tunes like this:

Counterstrike ‎- Snuff / Timewarp [ALGO004]

Room of Mirrors (VIP)

(i actually like the original mix of Room of Mirrors better than the VIP but can't find a link to it on youtube)
    freeradical8 and Beardemgrillz like this.
  20. Tranzitive likes this.

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

Gazoo

Gazoo Crescent Fresh

2,825 posts
    Since Jul 1, 2010
    I could never get into his kitchenware tear out style. Too messy for my taste. The one exception may be his One Of Them remix.
    Limewax - One Of Them [Current Value Remix] | HD
    Tranzitive likes this.
  21. Tranzitive and freeradical8 like this.

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

19 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2016

Willdo mate.you just opened up a whole new avenue for me,might even start messing around with tempos above 140.pretty sure that's a Techno cardinal sin:slayer2:
    Tranzitive and freeradical8 like this.
  22. Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

19 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2016
    Ok mate.i'll have a pop at the guy at Dawsons then,as that is what he said it was.exact words a,"rectifier pedal".thanks for educating me
  23. Havok [and Disorder] likes this.

BleakRef

1,757 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    Give him a slap from me pal.
    Havok [and Disorder] likes this.
  24. Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

Beardemgrillz

19 posts
    Since Dec 3, 2016
    2 hands or 1 and with or without a wet kipper?.i think he's pretty deserving of a wet kipper myself
  25. BleakRef Space Lord, Motherfucker

BleakRef

1,757 posts
    Since Feb 4, 2014
    If you do the wet kipper approach be sure to sample it. I'm 99% sure that's how CV got that snare sound in the first place.
Production