The E-MU megathread

Production | Aug 25, 2015

1. Newman, laserbeak, slimreaper and 4 others like this.

Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Let's face it: we need one and should've started one ages ago.
    Seeing that there's a whole lot EMU action going on around these parts these days and the good old Emusonacid seems to be gone as well, I thought we might start one where you could discuss all things EMU (without de-railing others' threads, which I, too, am guilty of) and maybe this one could serve as a thread with all sorts of EMU resources.

All things EMU....this is the place.
    Resampling in EMU Ultra Sampler

EMU Ultra bass editing tutorial

EMU Peak/Shelf Morph Filter

• Dillusion's ZPlane morph PDF

• FB group for EMUs
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Newman, laserbeak, slimreaper and 4 others like this.
  2. Glyphicdnb likes this.

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    I'll start by saying I recently got an e6400 and ESI-32 and have been giving the latter some love already and can say it sounds amazing. Defininitely old-sounding DNB in the works.

I'll also add a question: are there any classic EMU users out there that might be able to sort me with an EOS update disk? I'm running EOS v3.00b and would like to update as far as I can go considering the machine has only 1 MB flash ROM.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Glyphicdnb likes this.
  3. Glyphicdnb likes this.

junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,680 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015
  4. Glyphicdnb likes this.

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Glyphicdnb likes this.
  5. Glyphicdnb likes this.

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    I took a look at EOS.Technical.Documents-Combined.PDF, and it lists parts and their numbers for Ultra and non-Ultra models.
    The part number for the LCD (240 X 64 LCD Assembly w/Header) seems to be the same (AP441) for both.

I'm wondering if they all share the same display. E.g., could one install the LCD of an E4XT Ultra on an E5000 Ultra?
    I have a semi-non-functioning E4XT Ultra in my closet and I'd love to replace the e5000 Ultra's dim snotty green LCD with that of the e4xt.
    Glyphicdnb likes this.
  6. Fanu likes this.

hadees

hadees

hadees

7,800 posts
    Since Nov 22, 2002
    I bought one of the 1st Emu flash roms that he produced. Not had any problems with it:twothumbs:
    Fanu likes this.
  7. hadees

hadees

hadees

7,800 posts
    Since Nov 22, 2002
    I'm pretty sure that the screens are interchangeable even between classics and ultras, The only difference is the colour. What is wrong with the E4XT?
  8. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,680 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015
    there is supposed to be software you can use to edit samples on those on a pc, save you using the screen on the sampler.
  9. emre_k

emre_k

emre_k

129 posts
    Since Mar 22, 2012
    So I've bought an e6400 ultra dead cheap a while ago and I was amazed that it turned out to be fully functional. I love it's sound but unfortunately the rotary thing doesn't work, and worse than that, all the buttons are very very jumpy, making even the simplest tasks extremely difficult to perform.

Do you dogs have any idea if there's anything I can do about it? An ascii keyboard looked like a great solution but unfortunately it doesn't have the expansion card (or w/e that's called). I was thinking maybe I could control it via computer using a SCSI card or something but I'm not very informed about that kind of stuff. Would love to hear some pointers!
  10. ThisWayUp

ThisWayUp

ThisWayUp

112 posts
    Since Jan 21, 2010
  11. emre_k likes this.

junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,680 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015

have you tried opening it and cleaning the ribbon cable directly at the front in the middle, maybe just unplug a couple of times and reconnect, might just be a connection problem.
    emre_k likes this.
  12. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
  13. qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

qwert678!!!!

qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

4,990 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010
    I'm here hunting for the RFX32 card. Want to add that to my emu.
  14. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
  15. emre_k likes this.

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
    deoxit works wonders on buttons

https://syntaur.com/Items/3443.html

https://syntaur.com/Items/3465.html

https://syntaur.com/Items/3463.html
    emre_k likes this.
  16. emre_k likes this.

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    emre_k likes this.
  17. qwert678!!!! likes this.

ThisWayUp

ThisWayUp

ThisWayUp

112 posts
    Since Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks, but these will not work as they are. They need to have a step in them to go around the front panel.
    Cheers, but I'm not sure how well they'd work cos there's a step in the original rack ears.

I created a SketchUp of an ear to send round to metal shops, but the one I found first said it would be pretty expensive to create them as a one off piece. Change the .txt extension to .skp if you want to open the file in SketchUp

Attached Files:

qwert678!!!! likes this.
  18. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001

I believe inserting thin spacers between the rack ears and the sampler would do the trick.
  19. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
  20. junglebass1 likes this.

Craft 83

Craft 83

Craft 83

4,454 posts
    Since Feb 26, 2007
  21. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,983 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
  22. qwert678!!!! likes this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,693 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    qwert678!!!! likes this.
  23. emre_k

emre_k

emre_k

129 posts
    Since Mar 22, 2012
    Holy shit, that sounds phat! How could I go about recreating something like this on my E6400 ultra? (I'm very much a beginner on EMU) Get a bass (or bassy sound), record it via EMU inputs, add a lowpass filter with Q cranked up and modulating the cutoff? Am I on the right track?

Also based on the info you gave in the other thread:

24. qwert678!!!! and emre_k like this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,693 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    just download the .zip attached to my other post, put it in your sampler and see for yourself. The sample is included of course, but you have to set your sampler to the highest, digital output setting possible. no headroom and +12 db boost iirc (see the menus, I'm not talking about the volume knob, we want to distort internally). For fun I used two voices. the 2nd being a little stereo (emu chorus!). It's quite simple and just one technique out of many.
    qwert678!!!! and emre_k like this.
  25. emre_k

emre_k

emre_k

129 posts
    Since Mar 22, 2012
    Hey, cool but I'm afraid I can't do that right now as I don't have a floppy or anything. Will try the other points you mentioned though, thanks!
  26. ogenic and emre_k like this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,693 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    I guess there was another way of transfering stuff to the sampler. There was a software by elektron called c4 or c6 or something which let you transmit via midi, very limited though. Otherwise you could try using your scsi in some way.
    ogenic and emre_k like this.
  27. ogenic

ogenic

ogenic

535 posts
    Since Sep 21, 2008
    C6 is the one.
  28. Fanu Breaks&samples aficionado

Fanu

11,323 posts
    Since Jul 26, 2001
    Midi transfer is SLOW. You'll sample a hihat 20 x faster than transfering it over midi.

I'd say in general that sampling is the way to go. It's not as slow as many ppl seem to think.
  29. ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,693 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    sure, but is there a way to transfer banks and presets? sysex?
  30. qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

qwert678!!!!

qwert678!!!! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ uosɐǝɹ

4,990 posts
    Since Jun 22, 2010
    What soundcard are you guys using these days? I had a motu traveler but had given it to my younger brother as he was getting into this seriously and I was exiting. Now that I'm back on it, I've been using my on board sound card that m y xiosynth has (much to my surprise) but that's only when I want to record to and from the Emu. Want something more dedicated but don't know what's decent these days.

Price range; maybe about $300-$600. Going to pick up a mackie 16 channel desk to integrate. Got an akai 3200xl (finally) on the way. Also have some hardware synths. Just need a brain.

Suggest away!!!
Production