The E-MU megathread

Production | Aug 25, 2015

1. sedo likes this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008

clip the shit out of it. you need to set up your sampler correctly. check my explanation
    sedo likes this.
  2. sedo

sedo

sedo

71 posts
    Since Nov 1, 2007
    I've clipped the heck out the top layer (not so much the lower layer as I want to keep the sub freq's) and my sampler is set to output as loud as possible etc. I will try low pass over the screechy high passed resampled 808 - is the only bit i've not done so far.
  3. sedo

sedo

sedo

71 posts
    Since Nov 1, 2007
    There seems to be conflicting views also on whether it's necessary to put the low and high layer in different groups and/or presets? The way I have it setup is simply 2 different voices in the same group in the same preset. Could this affect the result?
  4. 2000&X

2000&X

2000&X

194 posts
    Since Oct 29, 2014
    I think you can apply a different filter to each group as you don't want the same filter type for your sub voice as your mids voice.
  5. sedo likes this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    Clipped the top layer? How? The sample? You got to clip the voice itself. Sample --> Voice (with all your stuff going on) --> Voice-Filter --> CLIP --> output (--> Clip)
    sedo likes this.
  6. sedo

sedo

sedo

71 posts
    Since Nov 1, 2007
    This is news to me! I've just been adding gain to the sample till I get a lot of clipping/distortion then adding filters to it within the voice afterwards. So your method clips the the voice after the filter (and modulations) is applied to the voice? I assume this distorts the filter sweeps to get 'that' sound?
  7. sedo

sedo

sedo

71 posts
    Since Nov 1, 2007
    Can you explain this bit? Not sure how I clip the voice or which 'output' you are referring to? Thanks!
  8. mmment, sedo and deleted like this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    exactly. There are some settings in the setup menus where you can set headroom. You want as little headroom as possible to get the biggest effect. Also turn that little volume knob to its max setting, this makes the entire sampler louder. The sampler then may clip after the filters. Sweeping with some resonance against that digital EMU ceiling creates that famous EMU sound.
    I'm currently setting up my hackintosh and I'm having a hard time doing so, so you gotta wait until I can explain a little better
    mmment, sedo and deleted like this.
  9. sedo

sedo

sedo

71 posts
    Since Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks man that's demystified the whole thing!!!

Good luck with the Hackintosh. I will see if I can work it out from your description.
  10. Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    whats the best stratetgy to handle banks and presets? How is your selection process for sounds?

I know sampling analog into the EMU is the best way. I have a lot Wave Samplepacks with interesting Drums and Breaks which i want to put on my CF Card. The reason why is, it is easier for me to start with some samples and alter my presets later.

For Breaks, most of them are chopped in Recycle, to get the bits and pieces. In addition to that i have oldschool-cutted breaks, starting from the kick, snare, hat, etc.
  11. milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

65 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    if using your CF card, try this osx app: E4B Tool (limited development + support, courtesy martinfay.com) ...

it will make basic banks for you on your desktop out of a selection of wav files... :slayer:
    save the bank to your CF and load up

Attached Files:

12. Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    thx milleborne. i totally forgat that tool. i noticed the message of that tool in the E-MU group on Facebook.

i need command line instructions to handle it right? i didn`t downloaded the attached Zip File.

Does anybody has the settings to stop OSX creating an initial file set on storage mediums. The E-MUs don`t like them.
  13. UserName £2 GHETTO FOOD

UserName

UserName £2 GHETTO FOOD

10,481 posts
    Since Oct 2, 2001

nice info cheers
  14. sedo likes this.

mmment

mmment

mmment

1 posts
    Since Nov 28, 2016
    that's like being enlighted! no wonder i was getting fuckall out of the emu. big ups!
    sedo likes this.
  15. howitzer

howitzer

howitzer

110 posts
    Since Oct 3, 2012
    I pissed about with the headroom the other day with some dirty 808's. getting some lovely fuzz outta this box now! Cheers! Out of interest, how high did you have it set? Got mine at 0 now which is LOUD through my mixer alone. So I patched it through a compressor which is giving me some much better gain staging, saves me clipping the mixer channel too hot.
  16. sedo likes this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    Finished my hackintosh and will start fiddling around with my instruments again, I will tell you then how I set everything up. I remember my channels on my desk are not clipping, only if I want to I have to turn up the gain a bit, but yeah, the EMU can be extremely loud. I have never encountered anything coming near that
    sedo likes this.
  17. milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

65 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    no command line necessary :cool:

[​IMG]
  18. milleborne likes this.

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    hehe. i like. simple and without any annoying frills.
    milleborne likes this.
  19. JStyle kata ton daimona eaytoy

JStyle

JStyle kata ton daimona eaytoy

5,435 posts
    Since Feb 23, 2006
    is there any program like this for Windows?
  20. milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

65 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
  21. howitzer

howitzer

howitzer

110 posts
    Since Oct 3, 2012
    I used the X3 for a while, its too old school and frustrating in comparison to the actual hardware sampler. I couldn't find a way to control any parameters through midiCC or ableton. It's just a pain in the balls really without the actual sound of the sampler and only good for interesting z-plane filters, at the expense of usability.
  22. sedo

sedo

sedo

71 posts
    Since Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks man, the various values for your gains in the Emu would be great to know.

I've been running Emu straight back into Ableton with most gains maxed out and it clips in Ableton by 6-10db or so - I've just stuck a gain utility on the Ableton channel to bring it back down so I just get the Emu distortion not the ugly Ableton clipping.
  23. eventualdecline Smothered Hope

eventualdecline

eventualdecline Smothered Hope

10,038 posts
    Since Sep 4, 2001
    has there been any research into upgrading an e4 to use 24bit samples?
  24. CunningLinguist In Unimatrix Zero

CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist In Unimatrix Zero

31,641 posts
    Since Apr 20, 2001
    Never had an E-mu but I've wanted one since 2000. I've tried the E-mu software sampler but it just felt cold to me. Is anyone selling atm?
  25. Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    Chickensys Translator or Constructor could be an alternative too. Translator is a bit buggy. Never tried Constructor.

Isn´t it possible to compile E4B Tool into a Windows executable file?
  26. JStyle kata ton daimona eaytoy

JStyle

5,435 posts
    Since Feb 23, 2006
    that would be great! I wouldn't even know where to begin to make it happen, though.
  27. Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    The C++ Source Code of the E4B Tool is included in the linked package. My programming skills are quite rusty. What i saw on the first sight in the code, compiling to a Windows executable should be possible. I don`t know what kind of libraires are required. I think gcc or g++ should work. Unfortunately i`m using OSX. Bootcamp isn`t installed. I`ll switching to a new computer. When its done i can test it, but it will take some weeks.

Has anyone tried these WiFI / WLAN Cards? With these devices file exchange to the EMU should be a lot easier.
  28. JStyle likes this.

milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

65 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    for any recompiling i'd recommend getting in touch with martin directly via his website martin78.com (he's the author and copyright holder). he's pretty active in all things sampler-based, esp on the facebook groups for the emu... great guy, great resource and i'm sure more than willing to collaborate in making this happen/available as a tool on all platforms.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    JStyle likes this.
  29. JStyle kata ton daimona eaytoy

JStyle

5,435 posts
    Since Feb 23, 2006

that would be awesome. please report back with any updates :tea:
  30. Rob Gee and milleborne like this.

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    1. he provided the source code in the package. 2. Recompiling isn´t copyright protected. I will try to create a windows compatible make, from his code. I won´t change any license informations nor violate any copyrights 3. if someone tries to make money or state that the code is from him or her, this is prohibited of course! 4. i will share my work on the same as way as martin did.

i don´t see any problems here.
    Rob Gee and milleborne like this.
Production