The E-MU megathread

Production | Aug 25, 2015

1. HouseAddict

HouseAddict

HouseAddict

3,558 posts
    Since May 26, 2004
    if i actually had an emu, i'd have taken a hack at c/vb'ing up the visual studio project in there. oh well.
  2. satoribeats likes this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
  3. alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

alien_brain

alien_brain ┴IOɹ┴Ǝp

1,645 posts
    Since Aug 29, 2005
  4. Logical impulse

Logical impulse

Logical impulse

71 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2013
    Not finding anything on the Instagram for this ???
  5. Logical impulse likes this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    check mine and his youtube channels
    Logical impulse likes this.
  6. Logical impulse

Logical impulse

Logical impulse

71 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2013
    Will do!
  7. Logical impulse

Logical impulse

Logical impulse

71 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2013
    Found his you tube, but what is yours?
  8. ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    jaki.dnb
    got two rather in depth videos How I do simple breaks with it
  9. Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    these EMU Videos are really excellent. Perfect entry to the EMU world. Interesting to see how you handle Synth Sounds or Basses.

One thing of Ableton Live i really like is the quantization switch off function. Logic lacks of that. Moving note events with arrow keys isn`t possible.

I tried E4B Tool. Unfortunately it isnt working under OSX 10.6.8. OSX 10.6.8 is essential for since it is the last version which has Rosetta (PPC Support) included. On which OSX version do you use it?
  10. Rob NCR

Rob NCR

Rob NCR

469 posts
    Since Nov 5, 2015
    I was using extreme sample converter to convert some esi 4000 EIIIx sample banks and then i used a program called EMXP version 3.03.

EMXP converted the programs with the proper primary and secondary layers to soundfont format
    EXC does not convert the second layer at all.

Key switching on some presets. Looks like I need to go back and convert all my collection again.
  11. Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    EMXP is intersting but you WINE to run it on OSX. A straight forward software without any workarounds would be nice.
  12. deleted

deleted

deleted

185 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2010
    I'm a big fan of Point Blank music school, and somehow I missed a video they did on the E-MU 4XT and Ensoniq EPS samplers.

Interesting watch with some insight into ed rush and optical/dillinja and some nice history in there.

Under The Radar /w Sam Willis (R&S): Pt. 4...

EDIT: Some really helpful tips and walkthroughs of techniques if you're stuck with your E-MU, which I wasn't expecting.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  13. R0llin and hadees like this.

ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008

tbh, that demo was shit. in my defense: I'm currently writing down every little nifty trick and workflow I developed with the EMU over the years and I'm thinking about doing a videoseries, or one big video about it. I just don't want to state only the obvious.
    R0llin and hadees like this.
  14. hadees

hadees

hadees

7,496 posts
    Since Nov 22, 2002
    We he hit play I had to check that the video wasn't re-dubbed as a joke. Shockingly bad demonstration.
  15. Farrar

Farrar

Farrar

52 posts
    Since Mar 4, 2009
    Hey guys. My buddy just acquired an e6400 ultra from his friend. We powered it up and it says "FX installed" on the start up screen. Does this mean that his unit has got the RFX32 card inside it? I do have an e6400 ultra as well, but its in storage and not near me so i cant check my one. I cant remember if all e6400s say this on the power up. Is there other types of FX options that are available that are not the RFX card? My Emu does not have the RFX card in anyway so I wouldnt know what it says on power up when there is a card intalled
  16. ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    if it says "fx: yes (std)" then it's not the RFX. The Ultra samplers come with standard FX that were optional on the non Ultras
  17. deleted

deleted

deleted

185 posts
    Since Jan 30, 2010
    Agreed, it's not the best but it helped me and thought it might help someone else too. Video series sounds good, your break preset videos were great.
  18. Tarelizer

Tarelizer

Tarelizer

49 posts
    Since Feb 24, 2014
    The EMU is a underrated Machine. I would dumb a MPC first before the EMU Ultra. Even the 64s are quite intersting this days due to some retrofits. You can replace the original displays with an OLED display, replace the noisy fan blower, replace the uber noisy SCSI disk and extend the flash rom to use EOS 4.62. With both models you can have trusty powerful secret weapons
  19. index0

index0

index0

3,433 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2006
    6400 ultra won't boot, blank LCD and led's come on but nowt else. Anyone had similar problem, was gonna try reinstalling os if I can find a disk and drive lol
  20. Uplink

Uplink

Uplink

76 posts
    Since May 31, 2006
    Checking all the ribbon cables are seated in the sockets correctly is all I can think of.
  21. ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008

common issue, either a cap is defective or the psu is
  22. index0

index0

index0

3,433 posts
    Since Mar 8, 2006
    :icon13:

Gonna be pain to fix then? Just wanted to get some old samples off the drive
  23. index0 likes this.

Uplink

Uplink

Uplink

76 posts
    Since May 31, 2006
    index0 likes this.
  24. EarlHiggsBoson likes this.

howitzer

howitzer

howitzer

110 posts
    Since Oct 3, 2012
    Hi guys, I'm having issues with my rotary data encoder, its the usual suspect; jumping values, non-consistent and unexpected bad data values.
    I've been searching around for parts for this, theres a few american sites that list some, but I'm getting bloody fleeced on price. Anyone know of the specific part numbers im looking for?

ive found this: http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...24L-IP40-1-pcs/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=1

but its a different part number to the one ive seen kicking about online; Bourns ECW0D-C24-BC0024
    just wondering if there's an easy way for me to tell if this is the right part / going to work before buying it?
    EarlHiggsBoson likes this.
  25. Farrar

Farrar

Farrar

52 posts
    Since Mar 4, 2009
    Hey guys. Was hoping any of you guys might be able to help. I found a emu e6400 classic with a dwam board on gumtree, I have a e6400 ultra. Will I be able the use the dwam in my ultra? Are they the same or are the dwam board in the ultras using a different connection. I foud a bit of contradicting info with my online search, so hoping any of you guys might have direct experience with this?
  26. Farrar

Farrar

Farrar

52 posts
    Since Mar 4, 2009
    I bought it anyway, so I will find out when I get a chance to go home (I work on a boat so I wont be able to get home and install it for a long time). I payed 109 euros for it (just the DWAM board), which included shipping from Italy. I think I got a good deal?
  27. ja-ki

ja-ki

ja-ki

1,653 posts
    Since Nov 30, 2008
    iirc the DWAM board on the classic samplers was standard (except for the e64) and I think it is not compatible with the Ultra series
  28. milleborne

milleborne

milleborne

65 posts
    Since Mar 27, 2015
    amazing deal...
  29. Uplink and howitzer like this.

danielson member

danielson

danielson member

246 posts
    Since Feb 22, 2003
    i found this old thread http://samplersonacid.com/legacy-emus-on-acid/viewtopic-p=14883.php.html it says the correct part is a bourns ECW0D-C24-BD0009 but this is discontinued now and the replacement part no is bourns ECW0D-C24-BD0009L .
    They will be the 36 indent ones. its gets confusing as someone else in that thread says they are using 24 indent one which is the part no u stated, and the new part no for that one is bourns ECW1J-C24-BC0024L . the common thing i see is the C24 in the middle on the part no, the one u posted has got B24 so i wouldnt think thats the right one .
    its a right pain in the arse , ive ordered encoders off ebay twice now. one lot was wrong encoder altogether and cant return them to america... so i looked and found that thread saying its a bourns encoder... so i got some bourns encoders from ebay and they looked the right ones but these are 24 indent ones, and on my emu it has 36 indent... so i gotta return these now and am going to order from a proper electrical parts place .
    This is probably suitable for a 24 indent one http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/ECW1J-C24-BC0024L/ECW1J-C24-BC0024L-ND/3534191
    And im probably gonna go with this one http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Bourns/ECW0D-C24-BD0009L/?qs=gtWEBJzYgUgHIKEPZXzOeg==
    Maybe the two are interchangeable? i dont know but id have thought it would be best to swap like for like so thats why im gonna return these 24 indent ones .
    Uplink and howitzer like this.
  30. howitzer

howitzer

howitzer

110 posts
    Since Oct 3, 2012
    awesome, thanks so much for your help @danielson
Production