3,370 posts
    Since Aug 23, 2005
    omg i never thought that there will be so much difference:smashed:
  2. Goodsound

Goodsound

Goodsound

1,550 posts
    Since Sep 12, 2006

i think you're getting confused, the analogy was to do with resolution of an image, saying you can't sharpen something which isn't there,

in this particular instance we are not talking about the bit depth of the audio, what they are saying, is that if the mix sounds to quiet, even though it's using all the headroom, then the engineer has to introduce techniques like limiting etc to bring the level up, but by doing this you start to loose the clarity of the mix down, the dynamic range, any space between instruments etc, in this instance it's got nothing to do with the sampling rate or anything like that,
  3. Paravoid likes this.

2turntables

2turntables

2turntables

18,889 posts
    Since Dec 6, 2005
    I'm sure you could teach dillinja a thing or two
    Paravoid likes this.
  4. futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

futilerecordings

futilerecordings Misanthropic Anthropoid

2,047 posts
    Since May 11, 2008
    There definitely IS a difference... if you're not really hearing it, look at in an analyzer. It's quantization error. Try it yourself. Export at sine wave at or near 0 db (without clipping, or course) at 16 bit, no dithering. Look at in your analyzer, you should see nearly zero harmonics (of course you may see some, as a digital oscillator may not be perfect). Then take the exported sine wave, bring it back in, lower the volume to -50 db or whatever. Export it. Bring it back in and normalize it. The noise you are hearing is the low-level quantization error that is normally too quiet to be heard. But when you export audio that is at such a low level and normalize it, you're also drastically increasing said noise.
  5. Full Clip Audio www.EricRacy.com

Full Clip Audio

Full Clip Audio www.EricRacy.com

11,932 posts
    Since Jun 5, 2003
    :smashed: Do you disagree about his mixes or are you just being snarky?
  6. vertex

vertex

vertex

8,513 posts
    Since Aug 13, 2001
    whatever anyone says, i agree with you sir

also, dillinja said himself that if he puts too much elements in his mix he ends up taking them out because they consume too much of the mix
  7. oliversarmy

oliversarmy

oliversarmy

2 posts
    Since Jan 11, 2017
    Honestly an overall great blog post. #8 is the most important IMO.
  8. couldntcareless

couldntcareless

couldntcareless

311 posts
    Since Mar 29, 2014
    There is no such thing as a mixing mistake.just poor execution,this aint maths (well it can be,,but its supposed to be art)
Production