what i hate about dnb

Production | Mar 11, 2017

1. MOSLEY first man on uranus

MOSLEY

MOSLEY first man on uranus

285 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2014
    people mixing tunes that aren't in the same key but work more or less, but then a note is played that isn't in key and it irks me

even when my jaw's like a high octane cylinder
  2. BleakRef, Adone, znork and 2 others like this.

junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015
    if people mixed all the tunes in the same key the set would sound like one boring long song, best
    mixes are when you drop a tune a few keys down straight in, bit like falling off a sheer cliff face.
    BleakRef, Adone, znork and 2 others like this.
  3. Drumdeaf

Drumdeaf

Drumdeaf

246 posts
    Since Jan 2, 2016
    This happens in any music genre that's mixed. Get a grip mate.
  4. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,474 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    ^^ Keep it interesting. Tunes roll totally different depending on what key their in... least when I'm writing I notice that.
  5. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015
    infairness I might be getting key and octave mixed up, the default key in my sequencer is A#
    so all tunes get done in that, never tried another one.

wouldn't have a clue about key in mixing, technics 1200 don't tell you the key.
  6. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,474 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    What sequencer does that?
  7. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015
  8. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,474 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Ah word. Thought maybe another daw did scale hilighting on piano rolls. Must be something else tho looking at acids layout.
  9. Jimmy Crack likes this.

Burnlees

Burnlees

Burnlees

4 posts
    Since Jun 23, 2010
    FL does this in the piano roll, once you place like 3 notes it'll tell you the key in the top left corner and highlight the notes
    Jimmy Crack likes this.
  10. Cakes, Rogue Trooper and Xeomi like this.

ChewyJetpack Dancefloor geometry innovator

ChewyJetpack

ChewyJetpack Dancefloor geometry innovator

2,659 posts
    Since Feb 18, 2014
    mixing in key is a mission.
    Cakes, Rogue Trooper and Xeomi like this.
  11. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015

don't think acid pro even has a piano roll tbh, midi implimentation on it is useless, can't even get a vsti to work on it have to use a programme that turns vsti's into stand alone programmes and record it back in through the mixer as audio.
  12. mundos In forest.

mundos

mundos In forest.

8,835 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
    Think you might be mistaken there, sequencers don't have 'default keys' to my knowledge.

It depends entirely on what notes you actually play or program
  13. Burnlees likes this.

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,474 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015

Ya i did say another daw :spliff::spliff::spliff:.
    You can save your own score in the data\patches\scores\reference scales folder. Here are some of the ones ive saved.

Attached Files:

Burnlees likes this.
  14. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015

tbh, I don't really understand what "key" is (I'll learn from google later) but when you open it up on a new project it's on A#
    as default, ever since I remember, I know it makes some kind of difference because one time in the middle of a tune I started messing around with the different "keys" and the sound was changing pitch, slowing down, speeding up, bit like time stretching, I thought I didn't need to be messing with that and left alone ever since.

is it something to use when your playing chords or something?
  15. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,474 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Ah damn. You use it? Seems bit rough to get along with no? Almost like hardware without having hardware.'

EDIT: Obviously if u know how to use it, an it works, no doubt use it. Just never seen anyone mention it before really is all.
  16. mundos In forest.

mundos

mundos In forest.

8,835 posts
    Since Aug 31, 2006
  17. Jimmy Crack likes this.

junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015

it's basically same as using hardware, I just use that for one bass patch in one vsti I found, I record all the rest from the outboard synths/drum machine, I couldn't get along with the midi, should have tried a different daw/sequencer, prefer audio.
    Jimmy Crack likes this.
  18. Jimmy Crack likes this.

Burnlees

Burnlees

Burnlees

4 posts
    Since Jun 23, 2010
    Ah wicked man, I had no idea. Cheers :tea:
    Jimmy Crack likes this.
  19. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,474 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    No worries! I dont think Auto works well with them but it might.
  20. Mean Teeth and Alert1 like this.

MOSLEY

285 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2014
    you don't have to mix sets in the same key at all, but if you're just doing a straight fade into another song or double dropping then make sure it's in key or at least fits the tonality

i mean on some dnb songs you'll basically have that phyrigian/phrygian dominant sort of feel lets say, in so far as the half step followed by a minor third/major third, like bad company's the nine, that's basically just a motif of a half step really innit with like a cadence sort of tension release every 4/8/16 bars or whatever. you still have scope to play around with the tonality because that half step could be the half step of the locrian scale or the phyrigian scale, or it could be the half step in any other diatonic mode. It's entirely dependent on the harmony, and in a genre like dnb where lets be honest, it's usually got a really simple sparse harmony with more focus on the bassline, you have a real ambiguity to the tonality. most techstep tunes just mess around between a minor third or summat simple like that, there's no reason to play a tune where there's a note that's soooooooooo clearly out of tune cause it just sounds bad, when you could play a tune that's in a different key but actually fucking fits
    Mean Teeth and Alert1 like this.
  21. MOSLEY first man on uranus

MOSLEY

285 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2014
    in terms of music theory you could stack a minor chord on top of a major chord, as long as the minor chord fits into the extension of the major chord

so A C E is a minor, C E G is C major, A C E G is a minor 7, the notes fit so you can play em together and it'd work (talking about just straight chords here, not songs)

but if you had one song that's just hamming an A minor, the other C major, but the A minor song has someone hitting a b2, whilst the C major song really embellishes the 9. Yeah that probably wouldn't fit (well maybe as a straight chord it would in some context but in terms of dnb it wouldn't)

there's usually ambiguity in terms of tonality in dnb, allowing other keys to fit on top of songs, but that ambuiguity doesn't mean you can put two things that just don't fit over each other
  22. Alert1 likes this.

MOSLEY

285 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2014
    obviously dnb, or the stuff we all laud over here, doesn't really adhere to traditional keys and music theory, and instead relies on fragments and implications of tonality/chromatic shit, but the point still stands

actually especially, as the sparse arrangement leaves so much more space for not making there be dissonant clashes.
    Alert1 likes this.
  23. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015

sounds a bit complicated that, I'd hazard a guess that 95% of dnb songs are written in the key of A anyway.
  24. MOSLEY first man on uranus

MOSLEY

285 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2014
    that's not the point i'm making tho mate
  25. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015
    be interesting to find out, I'd say hardly any dnb producers would know what key they were in, I'm sure you have to press a black key to get a chord, most only press the white keys with one finger.
  26. MOSLEY first man on uranus

MOSLEY

285 posts
    Since Nov 4, 2014
    the white keys are c d e f g a and b, you can play chords on them, typically it would imply a c maj key, but you can still play a chord on just the white keys that would be part of a key that uses the black notes

that's not the problem either, what i have a problem is is people mixing tunes that don't fit together audibly
  27. junglebass1

junglebass1

junglebass1

3,710 posts
    Since Apr 23, 2015

oh yeah, I agree with you totally, you should be able to tell if it's going to clash before playing it , thats basic, can't be playing tunes that clash, pianos are the worst, heard some serious trainwrecks, you really notice the key on them.
  28. Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

Jimmy Crack

2,474 posts
    Since Nov 3, 2015
    Ya I think pianos are usually tuned to because there all a bit unique n I woild imagine they clash awfuly. Do agree with u op when djs suck n it's off key like that.
  29. Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

Noise-Signal

Noise-Signal Diphallic Dude

2,785 posts
    Since Apr 2, 2014
    It did on like version 6 or 7. It even has VST support now.
  30. Mean Teeth, Gosun, Alert1 and 2 others like this.

CunningLinguist In Unimatrix Zero

CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist In Unimatrix Zero

31,759 posts
    Since Apr 20, 2001
    I HATE THAT KEMAL AND SKYNET STOPPED MAKING DNB.
    Mean Teeth, Gosun, Alert1 and 2 others like this.
Production